Quantcast

Da Burly One Rolls Into Da PNW

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Y'know this website has always been seen as a pretty useful tool to me. And as such it's always been a medium for a few things, but when it can be used as a tool to meet people, so that one day or another you could share some good trail. Well then the site provides a valuable attribute. It was indeed a pleasure to meet the Burley one and guide him on some high mountain backcountry goodness.

Glad to see he was properly prepared with a healthy lathering of Asmaster Chamois Creme, we just can't have the possiblity of chafing interfere with the ride.

Pre-planning for a ride i actually switched gears. This ride was very difficult with gnarly steep terrain, and extreme elevation. i thought for a moment; could he hack it? Ahhh it's da Burly one, he should be fine, and if not, well then too bad... haha

Recruited a few good riders to tag along on our journey. Mike just loves sessioning stuff.

As luck would have it, none of the local riders had been to the top of Jolly Mountain. It's always good to share the knowledge, and more importantly the experience. And what a cool experience, climbing up to a mountain top on a bikey.

Takin a view stop.

Y'know alot of the old skewl XC purist crowd really seem to shudder at the word "shuttle". But i keep on converting more and more people to the idea as this ride had well over 4000' of ardous climbing to go along with the 6000' of descent. i like the cardio exercise aspect too but i'll take it without the cardiac arrest by shaving a few miles and a few thousand feet of climb, when appropriate.

Dr. Scott, newly converted to the dark side muah hah haaaaa.

Mountain Lions meh... Bear meh... Rattlesnake meh...

INCHWORM ATTACK!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH<+%@#~*$o(^@$^*&&(($

"i have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good "~ Butthead

Burly pointing to the bottom of the Jolly Creek drainage where we will eventually end our first descent of 3 large.

Saddle up, time to bomb down. Mountain top start.

i saw Julie Andrews rolling ass over tea kettle through this field but i was too slow in grabbing the camera for the shot. But i was able to snap a this shot as conselation.

This is Geary, they really should make an action figure out of this guy.

Y'know i sure am glad my estimation of Burly was on the mark, this trail was a big boy trail with steep high exposed rocky chunkness. If you're not used to it, you could possibly trip out and join Julie Andrews on an extended fall off the mountain.

Burly i tried to kill ya but dammit you just wouldn't die! Nailing a tamer section of the trail.

Well to the bottom along the Middle Fork Teanaway River, where we gathered for some grubbing huckleberries which are just now starting to get ripe. And a first for both me and Burly, we saw a cinnammon bear romping through the woods. We were behind the pack and didn't get to see it too close for comfort as the others, but witness him meander back into the woods was pretty cool.

Climbing above the river towards the ridge saddle for the second meaty climb on DeRoux Spur.

Up top of the ridge, with a peekaboo view of Mt. Stuart again, and other peaks as we drop down for a fun switchback heavy descent towards DeRoux River.

Save the worst climb and the best descent for last i always say. And in that order or it could be the last ride you lead hehe. A brutal push up DeRoux Trail, a pretty popular trail that people enjoy going downhill on. Luckily mutiny never made it to the conversation as the group gathers for a break along the river.

To the top, group shot, ready to hit the final descent.

Boulder Trail (AKA Trail X for those who follow my Ride Reports). i figured this would be a dandy coup de grace to a big ride. And i was stoked to see a blurry grin of a satisfied rider race by.

About 19 miles of singletrack in total, around 5 miles of forest road, added up to about 8 hours of ride time. i know that doesn't seem to quite add up, we're not really slow riders by any regular standard, and we didn't take an excessive amount of breaks... Yah, you just have to experience it to understand how the math works around the Teanaway.

But it's just like i was taught by a bikey mentor and pal years back. Why worry about the clock, enjoy the ride. And enjoy i most certainly do...
Was great meeting ya in person Burly One, was an awesome ride, i'm really stoked to have shared in the good times!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
awesome. i miss yr ride reports, skookes. nice of you to lead burly on probably the best ride of his life, if i can guess from the photos.

splat

Nam I am
Great Report Skooks , The AC looks good Burly

Y'know this website has always been seen as a pretty useful tool to me. And as such it's always been a medium for a few things, but when it can be used as a tool to meet people, so that one day or another you could share some good trail. Well then the site provides a valuable attribute. It was indeed a pleasure to meet the Burley one and guide him on some high mountain backcountry goodness.

That is so True , I have met quite a few Great people from this site , I would not have met otherwise.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Aloha from Whistler!

Okay, I actually just had to log on this morning because Ive been so anxious to see photos of this ride. Skookes, great to meet you man and thanks for the nastiest, gnarliest, longest most grueling, beautiful and enjoyable 8 hours Ive probably ever had. Excellent photos and writeup as well.

Reedly

Chimp
Aug 20, 2007
Nashville, TN
Skookum - Amazing recap of your trip!! Seeing pics like that make it all worth it for riders to scour the web looking for mtb photos!!

Not sure if it's a good plan to admit it or not - but I've been a couple mountain bike trips with "Burly" to the mountains of N.C. -- Good times.

Thanks for the recap! Burly - thanks for the heads up!!

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I am so jealous. I WILL make it out there. I have another buddy who just moved back to WA State, and he rides out there all the time. Did you guys ride any of the DH trails?

Lucky.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
and that was just the pre-ride butt secks. :twitch:

:busted:
:rofl:

speaking of which Jason, what's Jen doing while you're bombing?

When the Burly one visited here, no one brought a camera cuz we were shocked that he INSISTED on riding eventho there was a foot of snow on the ground and it was 10*F.

That Burly is one crazy mofo!