Quantcast

dainese dynamo jacket vs. 661 subgear

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
just saw this dainese dynamo jacket online today:

does anyone have any experience with it? looks like a more solid back protection than the 661 offering:

which I don't think has any back protection at all.

Both look nice in terms of minimalist gear that would be comfortable to wear. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a chance to experience either yet, and what they like or dislike about it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, Leatt compatibility is another big selling point for the TLD ones. They are designed around them. All of the pads where a leatt would sit are removable for a nice comfortable fit. The dainese one looks like the pads aren't removable at all.

And yeah, you totally don't look like hulk too. You actually can barely even tell someone is wearing one.

Last edited:

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
the tld one looks nice, but I'm more interested in the elbow/forearm area as I tend to make hamburger out of mine at least once or twice a season, and the tld for some reason looks like it might be a little hotter than the other options?

I've also never actually hit my chest on anything before, so pretty much the spine/shoulders/elbow/forearm options have got me interested. Right now I wear the back plate from my dainese jacket and some poc elbows, as I find the whole jacket to get too hot and be a little overkill most of the time. That's why I found these two options interesting, and hadn't seen the dainese option until today.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah the TLD one's photos are a bit deceiving. To me it looks leather in the photos. The photos from the review on vital show what it really looks like. From my experience with it, it isn't hot at all compared to other armor jackets I have used. It breathes really well.

I just spoke with TLD and there is a long sleeve version of the 7850-HW that just isn't online yet (I guess its getting put up today - I can post it when its up). Here are the photos of the long sleeve version. It has the shock doctor forearm/elbow pads built in too. $165

Another cool thing is a lot of the pads are removable so you can customize the fit just how you like it.

i'm diggin that full suit. i couldn't wait for it because riding season is already upon me and i need a solution sooner rather than later. the instance that my elbow/forearm guards move on me during a crash, i'll probably upgrade to the full suit. but for now, we'll see how the shirt + elbow/forearm combo performs when i get it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
i'm diggin that full suit. i couldn't wait for it because riding season is already upon me and i need a solution sooner rather than later. the instance that my elbow/forearm guards move on me during a crash, i'll probably upgrade to the full suit. but for now, we'll see how the shirt + elbow/forearm combo performs when i get it.
Dude, you will be pumped on the shirt/jacket you ordered for sure.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So does that shortsleeve TLD suit have a hardshell spine to it? That thing has my attention.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
been using the 661 subgear short sleeve for over a month now in the hot Australian summer. Pretty comfy and surprisingly cools when you get a bit of breeze on it. My buddies say it doesnt look like I am wearing any armour. hasnt been crash tested yet tho
I have also ordered a TLD shirt so hopefully will be able to compare soon

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I've been in the 661 Subgear long sleeve for a few months now. It does it's job. No back protection though. The sleeves are stupid long and the fit is a bit funny (as with most 661 stuff), and the stitching sucks. I've re-sewn most of the pads already.
But, as I said, it does it's job in a crash. I never ride without it.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
that sounds good, I have stupid long arms. Nobody has any experience with the daineise? have they not been out for long enough? I think I'll have to see the tld one in person, it looks quite promising.