Quantcast

Dakine pick-up pad + camper shell?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Just curious...

Has anybody gotten this to "work" ??
If so, what brand/model camper shell do you have?
How many bikes could you fit?
Was it a pain in the ass?
Pics?

Or am I a retard for trying to have both?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!! :)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
You'll end up ruining your tailgate , regardless of the brand.Was that your question ? :thumb:

Seriously though, I dont see why it wouldnt work with any sort of camper,I used to run a hard canopy with the pad and worked fine... The camper would just sit on the pad, dont think it would matter much but you'll still end up ruining your tailgate no matter what.:thumb:

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
You'll end up ruining your tailgate , regardless of the brand.Was that your question ? :thumb:

I dont see why it wouldnt work with any sort of camper,I used to run a hard canopy with the pad and worked fine... The camper would just sit on the pad, dont think it would matter much but you'll still end up ruining your tailgate no matter what.
Well, the rear windows on some shells aren't that great hence the question.

I don't understand how it would "ruin" my tailgate, but then again, I don't have a camper shell yet so I can't try. Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I used to have a GemTop on my ford ranger. Shuttled for years with it on and a thrift store blanket. There is no reason it won't work as long as there is no clearance issue with the window.

I think what tuumbaq is referring to is that your tailgate will still get scuffed and mangled through the Dakine pad. This is a well known issue but if you don't care about the paint on your tailgate (like a real man) then it isn't a problem.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I used to have a GemTop on my ford ranger. Shuttled for years with it on and a thrift store blanket. There is no reason it won't work as long as there is no clearance issue with the window.

I think what tuumbaq is referring to is that your tailgate will still get scuffed and mangled through the Dakine pad. This is a well known issue but if you don't care about the paint on your tailgate (like a real man) then it isn't a problem.
Good to know.

I'm really not that concerned with my tailgate getting scuffed up (it's a truck!), but as it currently stands, there really isn't any room for damage (*knocks on wood*). See pic: