Quantcast

Damn fixie hipsters

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm glad utah is a bit behind the times. I've only seen 1 in the city where i live. Looked funny when he was trying to stop for a stop light. His feet were getting kicked around. dorks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I saw one fall over when they tried to stop the other day. They fell onto the stop sign pole, then the ground. I laughed REALLY hard.

Maybe if you have a track bike you should learn how to stop and maybe even track stand. Or at least how to get out of your toe clips. Idiots.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
They should learn how to ride fakie. That would be pretty cool to see one of them at a stop light doing backwards figure 8's like the bmx kids i've seen at the local skatepark.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
in berlin (the real one in germany ^^) the police started confiscating fixies because they are dangerous for the other traffic etc... pretty funny stuff :)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Been seeing more and more of them here in Phoenix and Tempe.
They organize alley cats and everything.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a fixie dude here who walks his bike all over town. I see him pushing it way more than actually riding it.
When did you move to Portland?

I see more guys pushing than riding. Portland does have a small group of hardcore riders, but it's far more of a fashion statement.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

I see more guys pushing than riding. Portland does have a small group of hardcore riders, but it's far more of a fashion statement.
That's all it is is a goddam fashion accessory. I have no respect for anyone who cares THAT MUCH about looking cool. I mean everybody's got their thing I guess, but good lord at least try to be original if you're going for the counterculture thing. Dont just dress up like every other "nonconformist" emo douchebag.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
i always have the urge to sabotage the fixies (ie removing the lockrings) i see locked outside the arts building at my uni. but that wouldnt be nice thing to do, nawmsayin?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
The guy I saw had his cute messenger bag, converse all stars, tight pants with one big roll on each leg, and he had one of those roadie wheels that makes the wheel look solid instead of spoked.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What kills me is that alley cats started as rag-tag party/race that was put together by bike couriers, but now they are popping up in cities where there are no actual bike courier companies.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
i love my fixed gear bicycle. its fun.
me too. adds a level of danger, excitement, and possible death to an ordinary ride around town... makes the boring stuff fun and interesting again, kinda like 29ers.

A guy I knew had one of those and took it on the NYC 5-boro bike ride one year. He was pretty easy to spot since he was about 5' above everybody else, although I have no idea how he was bunny-hopping it over potholes. :shocked:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
only couriers can have fun! this thread is awesome
I'm talking about my son's room mate who walks his bike to the bus stop, takes the bus downtown, then walks it to Pioneer Square to hang out with his cool bike. My son can actually ride it, but said it's the most ridiculous bike he's ridden.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Where I live now there are almost no bike commuters, so fixie dude really stands out.

I lived in Asheville for 6 years and commuters are everywhere. I rode my bike everyday. There is only one level road in the whole town. You are either going up or down. The few fixie riders there could actually ride. There is no way in hell I would ride a fixed gear, brakeless bike in the mountains in traffic. I'm up for doing some stupid things on a bike, but that is definitely not one of them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
only couriers can have fun! this thread is awesome
no its more just another example of hipsters having to latch onto and exploit / create mass appeal for something that they don't have any understanding to the history or tradition of, but they like it because it looks cool.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
me too. adds a level of danger, excitement, and possible death to an ordinary ride around town... makes the boring stuff fun and interesting again, kinda like 29ers.
alas, i lack the tr00 hardcoreness and run a brake. brakeless in traffic is just crazyness.

it's amusing that the lack of a freewheel somehow constitutes fashion, not to mention how paint by numbers the aesthetic & hardware tend to be. (ie, spraybomb & dumpster 10spd, add deep-v's w/ spoke cards, flip & chop the drop bars or run cut down risers w/ ourys, etc). i suppose i'm conflicted on the fixed gear thing - fun to ride, but the rampant stereotypes / associations are annoying. if nothing else. perhaps the fashionability serves to motivate a few people to ride bikes that wouldn't otherwise.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm glad utah is a bit behind the times. I've only seen 1 in the city where i live. Looked funny when he was trying to stop for a stop light. His feet were getting kicked around. dorks.
It seemed to go full-blown when I stopped messengering in Salt Lake in fall of 07...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I also love passing them in the bike lanes (when they are actually in them) when they feel like they are hauling ass spinning like crazy. Or out track standing them at lights when they cant stand for more than 5 seconds.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Blah blah blah I hate everyone that doesn't ride the same bike I do.

It's always the same story.
XC riders hate the DH'ers because we descent too fast.
DH'ers think the XC riders and roadies are gay for wearing spandex.
Mountainbikers think BMX riders should get off their little wheels.
People think everyone with a fixie is a POS hipster.

What's the point? Obviously some fixie riders are new to the sport, but at the end of the day, does it really matter? So what - someone enjoys using a bike differently than you do in the pursuit of fun. While I agree a bike should get ridden, who cares what jeans the guy or girl on the bike is wearing. Hating on hipsters is just as trendy as riding a fixie, it's all been said before. Time to move on.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just posted as I thought the guy looked like an old school hipster. I really don't have a problem with single speed hipster and see no difference to down hillers or roadies dressing up. We are human and like to belong to groups.

Here it looks like there is a growing interest in bike riding which I think is good.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just posted as I thought the guy looked like an old school hipster. I really don't have a problem with single speed hipster and see no difference to down hillers or roadies dressing up. We are human and like to belong to groups.

Here it looks like there is a growing interest in bike riding which I think is good.
Yeah I think your post was pretty funny really, just commenting on the overall sentiment of the thread more than anything.

I bet I get laughed at by hikers for wearing my moto pajamas and storm trooper gear on the trails!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Blah blah blah I hate everyone that doesn't ride the same bike I do.

It's always the same story.
XC riders hate the DH'ers because we descent too fast.
DH'ers think the XC riders and roadies are gay for wearing spandex.
Mountainbikers think BMX riders should get off their little wheels.
People think everyone with a fixie is a POS hipster.

What's the point? Obviously some fixie riders are new to the sport, but at the end of the day, does it really matter? So what - someone enjoys using a bike differently than you do in the pursuit of fun. While I agree a bike should get ridden, who cares what jeans the guy or girl on the bike is wearing. Hating on hipsters is just as trendy as riding a fixie, it's all been said before. Time to move on.
Your just mad because your girl pants went on sale at Old Navy AFTER you bought them.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I saw one fall over when they tried to stop the other day. They fell onto the stop sign pole, then the ground. I laughed REALLY hard.

Maybe if you have a track bike you should learn how to stop and maybe even track stand. Or at least how to get out of your toe clips. Idiots.
so why should we give a sh*t when a cvnt like yourself gets injured?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What's the point? Obviously some fixie riders are new to the sport, but at the end of the day, does it really matter?
Yes. Trendy idiots who predominately ride fixed-gear bikes make my life harder and more hazardous on a daily basis for a number of reasons.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's really their pants and haircuts that I hate most. I don't care what kind of bike they ride, it's only irksome in that it serves more as a fashion accessory than a legitimate mode of transport.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
When I see a hipster just pushing their fixie like it's the latest cool accessory, I can't help but think why don't they just put a big chain around the bike and wear it around their neck like a giant awkward pendant.

Flava Flav made clock rockin famous. Why not Fixie dangle disco retro style or some sh1t yo ?