Quantcast

Damn! I broke my bike!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Well I guess I have to get a new one....... Anyone want to buy a Romic EXC Ti shock? It won't work on my new bike. Its got a 700# spring on it and I will give you a good deal on it :thumb: Lifetime warranties rock by the way......jdcamb

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
splat said:
Jim , How did you do that!!

What is the I2I on the shock ?
I was just riding along I swear! I had just done one of 2 downhills on a trail we call the Toe trail. Just as I pushed over the lip of the second part of the downhill section it just popped, sounded like a shotgun went off! Well I was already commited to going down..... The tubes were hitting me on the leg they were flexing so bad. I managed to get the bike under control and looked down to see the crack after I stopped. Scared the crap out of me! Ride over. The I@I is 6.5. I will give anyone interested a great deal. I need to sell it to get a new shock for the new warrantied frame. Ellsworth is taking care of me. This will be the second frame I warrantied from them. The only thing I need is to buy is the new shock. Oh well I rode it hard for 2 years. It was a great bike. I may sell it after I get the warrantied frame. I want a SC Heckler.....jdcamb

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt!

Also nice to hear that Ellsworth will be taking care of you in this situation...

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah pm me some more info and a price on the shock too

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In a way, you're lucky; Dog Welder's Ellsworth went back to them in a shoe box for warranty. Glad you weren't hurt.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Isn't Ellsworth a company of mostly cwazy no-beer mormon guys? I heard about it from a guy who used to work there...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
xbluethunderx said:
Isn't Ellsworth a company of mostly cwazy no-beer mormon guys? I heard about it from a guy who used to work there...
I heared that Tony got started working at Outdoors Unlimited while studying at BYU. At least that's the legend on campus. Beer and religon related or not I still wouldn't buy one of those bikes.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
ellsworthless!

i take it that's either a truth or an Id before the frame upgrades to prevent such breaking. I have heard that perticular break has happened with people JRA. odd- oh well, they should treat you good with a new frame.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Ellsworth says that the big fellas aren't suppossed to ride coils on Truth frames. Or at least a couple of years ago they were saying that. For some reason air makes a difference. My shop had a ~250# guy do the exact same thing, but they took care of him.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Repack said:
Ellsworth says that the big fellas aren't suppossed to ride coils on Truth frames. Or at least a couple of years ago they were saying that. For some reason air makes a difference. My shop had a ~250# guy do the exact same thing, but they took care of him.
I am not a big guy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Yannis has a Specialized Enduro SX..........I would think it would fit wouldn't you?
I saw pictures of an SX with a Romic in it, but the guy said it was a very very tight squeeze.. Is the Ti spring any larger in diameter than the steel springs?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
He probably needed the 700 pound spring on that bike because ot the short i2i of the shock.

For example on my Balfa Belair they recommended I use an 8 or 900 pound spring if I were to go with a coil over shock - but I couldn't because the diameter of the coils was too wide for my bike's design (part of the shock runs inside of the top tube).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Thats a bummer man... Ells are scarry, everyone I know that has had one has broken one. I dont know if they are overusing them, giving them more than they are intended to take or if Ells just doesnt make their crap strong enough for its intended purpose or what...

What kid of bike was it? I'm guessing its an ID just by the seat, but I could be wrong.

Also, good of Ells to hook you up... how long will you be off the bike? Curious what year it was too.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's funny, though...Ellsworth is actually built at Kinesis, which builds lots of other reliable brands, right? (Santa Cruz, Turner, Mountain Cycle, I think.)

I guess the specs that TE is providing must be the issue, not the actual quality of the construction...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
golgiaparatus said:
Thats a bummer man... Ells are scarry, everyone I know that has had one has broken one. I dont know if they are overusing them, giving them more than they are intended to take or if Ells just doesnt make their crap strong enough for its intended purpose or what...

What kid of bike was it? I'm guessing its an ID just by the seat, but I could be wrong.

Also, good of Ells to hook you up... how long will you be off the bike? Curious what year it was too.
Its a Truth. If I had it to do all over again. I may not have bought a Ellsworth. But I got a good deal on it so... Seeing as they are off to the Interbike....it may take weeks.....jdcamb

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
Its a Truth. If I had it to do all over again. I may not have bought a Ellsworth. But I got a good deal on it so... Seeing as they are off to the Interbike....it may take weeks.....jdcamb

You'd think one person would stay and work huh???

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
jdcamb said:
There are 3 people in Tulsa with Ellsworths. All 3 of them have broken their shizz at one time or another. I guess they are truly an XC only bike, they just ride so damn well over the gnar.