Quantcast

Damn...just got done at the doc, I tore my rotator cuff.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Preliminary exam says torn rotator cuff, at least a part of it. I got put on ibuprofen to take down the inflammation and have to schedule with PT. If that doesn't help, I get to go talk to the ortho. It's been close to six months and hasn't felt even slightly better. I'm wondering if the PT will help at all.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Preliminary exam says torn rotator cuff, at least a part of it. I got put on ibuprofen to take down the inflammation and have to schedule with PT. If that doesn't help, I get to go talk to the ortho. It's been close to six months and hasn't felt even slightly better. I'm wondering if the PT will help at all.
Get it fixed. I had mine done ~5 years ago after 2 partial tears from lifting weights. Recovery was not bad, riding dirt roads at 3 weeks and trails at 5 weeks, YMMV. It's been pain-free and fully functional since.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I went OTB and tore mine one year in april and i think it started getting better in november. It actually started getting better when i started working it out a little, like pushups and junk. Lateral raise motions hurt like hell but i don't think you'll damage anything with light weights. Really crappy injury.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
It was lifting weights. Doing upright rows and felt a sharp pain.
I never do upright rows with barbell for that reason. Always dumbbells or cable with two handles because of wrists and shoulders.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
everyone in my family has had their rotator cuff repaired b/c of various injuries.
i was in constant pain before i had mine done and after it felt like i had a brand new arm. i blew out my elbow soon after ending my baseball career. i guess it was a good thing since i took up riding then.

IMO PT didnt do sh!t for any of us.

id still get a second opinion from a Orthopedic...who gave you the first prognosis?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
everyone in my family has had their rotator cuff repaired b/c of various injuries.
i was in constant pain before i had mine done and after it felt like i had a brand new arm. i blew out my elbow soon after ending my baseball career. i guess it was a good thing since i took up riding then.

IMO PT didnt do sh!t for any of us.

id still get a second opinion from a Orthopedic...who gave you the first prognosis?
Everything you just said is what I have heard from everyone...from PT doesn't do crap to surgery seems to fix it. I have been in constant pain since I felt it give at the gym. Some days are worse than others, but I know I have to do something because it isn't getting better and I can't just nurse it forever.

I got the diagnosis from a general prac, but I know how it works. They won't pursue more invasive surgery options until they have done their due diligence and that's exactly what I was told. I have to jump through the hoops first and if that doesn't work, I go see the ortho. It's not as bad (the pain) as some people I have talked to have had, but it definitely sucks. I can barely lift anything with my left arm and it hurts when I just sit and do nothing.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Surprisingly enough it's not my dominant arm. I think that's why I have been able to put it off. If it was my jerking arm that hurt I woul have been in to the docs the next day.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I won't be doing those at the gym again. The sucky part is you don't realize how much you use your shoulder until it hurts, I guess like everything else. I have definitely put on pounds from not being at the gym as much and not being able to do most upper body exercises. I can't even do a damn push up or pull up from the pain. I was working out 4-5 times a week.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah, shoulders suck when they go bad. three dislocations on the right and an inpingement issue on the left due to my paralysis. find a good therapist. i may be able to find a suggestion or two for one in your hood.