Quantcast

damn locktite

drfunk

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
NY
i have this wheel that came stock with my bike, and on it is a rotor.

for the life of me i cant seem to get the rotor off the wheel because i think it has locktite on it. I would continue to try but i think i will just end up stripping the screws and i will be even worse off

can anyone offer suggestions on how to deal with locktite

thanks

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Heat will loosen the locktite. If the bolt heads strip then use a dremel like tool to cut slots in the bolt heads and use a screwdriver.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by D_D
Heat will loosen the locktite. If the bolt heads strip then use a dremel like tool to cut slots in the bolt heads and use a screwdriver.
Yup.
A T-handle type screw driver is the way to go. Being able to push down is important.

J

Joe33

Use a box wrench to get some more leverage. That way you can focus more keeping it in the hole rather muscling up all your strength up only to have the thing fly off jaming your knuckles into the spokes.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Put a little triflow at the base of the bolt head then heat it with a propane torch til it just starts to smoke. Quick put a t-handle on it and it should come right out.

Aug 12, 2002
Napa
Originally posted by RITFreeRider
A little penetrating lube should do the trick. And if you do strip the head, Sears sells a screw out kit that will remove and screw no matter how stuck. Believe me I've used it before and works like a champ.:D
Not every bolt believe me...I broke one trying to get a crank bolt off on my lake jumping bike I decided just to keep it the way it is.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
If you take a drill, and a bit slightly larger then the bolt thread, you can drill off the head, and then the bolt will just unscrew on it's own, or with a little force form some needle nose pliers.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It all depends what loctite you put on.

I believe this is how it works:

Blue loctite = you will be able to get it off, just a tad thread sealer
Red loctite = you are just screwed

I think red loctite is permenent thread sealer. I bet if it was like a giant bolt you might be able to but not a tiny torx rotor bolt or bicycle part.

I can't remember if I used blue on the rotor bolts, I know it's either blue on whatever or finish line assembly prep I think it is, it comes in a toothpaste type tube.

Good luck anyhow, and yes those screwout tools work great that sears sells, just kinda expensive ($20 for like 3 little bits)

Chris

arcteryx33

Chimp
Mar 20, 2002
Philly PA
I have had them strip even after heating. My solution was to dremel off two sides flat and use locking plyers to get it out. Mine were torque bolts though

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
You can also try some vise grips to remove the bolts. I NEVER use loctite on rotor bolts, only grease.

Every rotor bolt I have ever seen has come with blue loctite allready on it. How do you NEVER use loctite on them? Do you actually clean this off or buy new bolts? Maybe your brakes haven't come with loctite on the bolts?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
You can also try some vise grips to remove the bolts. I NEVER use loctite on rotor bolts, only grease.
Bad idea. I have seen many pads ruined because someone has put grease on there rotor bolts and it has heated durring riding and leaked out onto the rotor and made for a bad ride!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Blue Loctite is formulated to be removable.

Red Loctite is "permanent", but can be broken with heat. Penetrating oil won't do much. A small butane pencil torch (they're dirt cheap) should work.

From the Loctite FAQ:

"A: The application of heat is needed to remove a fastener that can't be removed with a hand tool. Temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a standard anaerobic, 500F for high temperature Anaerobics. A heat gun or propane torch is commonly used to do this process, and careful disassembly should occur while parts are still hot."