Quantcast

Damn - should I buy it?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
2000 Conterno Fantino Barolo Parussi - Terrific aromas of cedar, dried mushroom, berries and plums follow through to a full-bodied palate, with big, silky tannins and a long, long finish. Delicious to taste. Will be even better with time. Best after 2009. Only 640 cases made.
Was $79.99 with e-mail $38.99

Hmmmmmm......... anyone ever tried it?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I assume if you buy it, you'll get a full case and drink a bottle every six months starting in 2007-2008?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LordOpie said:
I assume if you buy it, you'll get a full case and drink a bottle every six months starting in 2007-2008?
barolos are meant for the long slow burn...i'd put that thing away and break it out for when yr kids get old enough...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
LordOpie said:
Good God no. I'm too cheap. I was thinking about one bottle. Then I'd raid it when my stash of cheap wine ran out. Which would be much earlier than the suggested maturation date. :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SkaredShtles said:
Good God no. I'm too cheap. I was thinking about one bottle. Then I'd raid it when my stash of cheap wine ran out. Which would be much earlier than the suggested maturation date. :D
I'm certainly not that knowledgeable, but I wouldn't bother with one bottle.

I think the idea is to buy a dozen and start opening them about a year or two before you think they're ready, like every six months. Then when you think it's hit its peak, enjoy the rest over the next few months after that.

And what if you get the one bottle in 10 that is corked or bad somehow?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LordOpie said:
I'm certainly not that knowledgeable, but I wouldn't bother with one bottle.

I think the idea is to buy a dozen and start opening them about a year or two before you think they're ready, like every six months. Then when you think it's hit its peak, enjoy the rest over the next few months after that.
that's certainly a good way to do it, but not everyone has wine hookups like you. even w/ a 20% discount, a good case of wine worth cellaring is likely gonna run you at least $300...

LordOpie said:
And what if you get the one bottle in 10 that is corked or bad somehow?
that's about the same percentage myth that gays foist on us...no way the spoilage rate is 10%...maybe my pallette sucks, but i can think of three bottles which have been corked that i've had in my wine-sipping days, and one of those didn't even HAVE a cork; once i pulled the foil, there was nothing!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
that's certainly a good way to do it, but not everyone has wine hookups like you. even w/ a 20% discount, a good case of wine worth cellaring is likely gonna run you at least $300...

that's about the same percentage myth that gays foist on us...no way the spoilage rate is 10%...maybe my pallette sucks, but i can think of three bottles which have been corked that i've had in my wine-sipping days, and one of those didn't even HAVE a cork; once i pulled the foil, there was nothing!
I've had a number of corked wines. The wine shop has always accepted them on return and given me another bottle. I'd not estimate it's been 10%, but I'm fairly certain the empirical data is there to support the 10% corked figure. Then again, I might be gullible.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
10% though? if you go through 2 bottles of wine a week, that's ten bad ones per year. no way.
Are you drinking 2 bottles a week that are aged enough to really be susceptible to taint? Most of the stuff I drink day-to-day hasn't been in the bottle long enough to suffer much. If you look at the wine world at large there is a lot of aged stuff out there. But still, I agree that 10% seems high.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
LordOpie said:
:shrugs:

PS: There's some very very good stuff out there that's screw top. It's a stupid stigma
I tend to agree, especially with younger whites like my favorite NZ sauvignon blancs. But the verdict is not clear on long-term aging. My understanding is that corks actually allow small amounts of gasses one way or the other (can't remember the details). You don't get that effect with a screw top, nor (less important) do you get any of the ceremony of pulling a cork.

I am leaning towards artificial cork as the best way to go.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
that's true, screw tops do let less air pass through, so it takes longer for the aging process... which could be a good thing depending upon your goals.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LordOpie said:
that's true, screw tops do let less air pass through, so it takes longer for the aging process... which could be a good thing depending upon your goals.
would a cork actually let any air through? i'll ask my wine geek friend.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
narlus said:
would a cork actually let any air through?
yup. In fact, there's some speculation that if no oxygen passed through, then it might increase the level of sulfur in the wine. While some sulfur is needed as a preservative, too much is yuck.

Also, if you've got a wine several years old, you might want to talk to someone about recorking the bottle. Some wineries send teams out to help customers recork... they record all the details and will even tell you if you need to drink it now or give you an estimate on when it might peak. Ask your liquor store if they know when your winery will be in the area to recork.

There is, of course, no rule, just guidelines.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
LordOpie said:
Also, if you've got a wine several years old, you might want to talk to someone about recorking the bottle. Some wineries send teams out to help customers recork... they record all the details and will even tell you if you need to drink it now or give you an estimate on when it might peak. Ask your liquor store if they know when your winery will be in the area to recork.
I remember reading an article about how one the great bordeaux chateaus (maybe Lafite?) will actually come to your cellar, pull the old corks, top off each bottle with the same vintage, and re-cork.

That must be cheap eh?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
I remember reading an article about how one the great bordeaux chateaus (maybe Lafite?) will actually come to your cellar, pull the old corks, top off each bottle with the same vintage, and re-cork.

That must be cheap eh?
Penfolds was doing that awhile back, but I think they were just road-tripping and you had to bring your Grange to some central location to get it assessed & recorked.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:

That must be cheap eh?
Those bahstids still haven't shown up at my house. :mumble: