Quantcast

Dare to prepare

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I have a case of MREs, a case of water, a sleeping bag and a couple changes of clothes in my car.

But I have a good reason. In the two months I have been in CO the base has shut down twice due to incliment weather, trapping me here over night. (the dorms on another base 30mins away) Not having food sucks, not having comfy sleeping clothes sucks.

(the water is used for filling my camel more than anything else.)

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Anyone who lives in colder regions, should have a way to heat their home (off the grid) too I think.

A wood fueled stove can be rigged up in just about any house if needed. Eying this for the fall:

These are about $350...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I think the only thing you guys are missing from your lists is cigarettes. You should buy a ton of cartons of those bad boyz so you can do some bartering later. Those smokers are gonna go crazy for that crap.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Our last ice storm turned my wife into a raging bitch. Our generator isn't big enough to power our well pump, so we didn't have any running water for 3 days. My wife was unbearable to deal with, just because she couldn't take a shower! She was driving me up the wall. If I could have dropped her off at her parents, I would have.
We had TV too, 1 channel off the antenna. We had the only lights on in the nieghborhood.
I thought for sure someone would try to steal our generator, but it never happened.
I had plenty of gas, plenty of food, drinking water, chainsaws, a rifle and a shotgun (which I have for hunting, not for SHTF), I thought I was prepared pretty well.
But I was totally unprepared for my wife acting like a rotten spoiled bitch.
She still says we don't have enough money to buy a bigger generator. Huh??
i just checked, and 'psychowife' is still available as a member name.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Anyone who lives in colder regions, should have a way to heat their home (off the grid) too I think.

A wood fueled stove can be rigged up in just about any house if needed. Eying this for the fall:

These are about $350...
We have a great woodstove now too. We too have a generator (and gas and oil to keep it going), firearms, plenty of candles and lanterns, chainsaws, etc. And, I always have food and water on hand so we're good to go as well :thumb:

Last edited:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Psyched! I went ahead and ordered this (sans side water dispenser):

Then I was thinking to myself... Ive always wanted a wood burning stove in my house, but not necessarily as a permanent fixture. So, not only is this little puppy going to act as an emergency heat source for my house, but I can actually set it up as a 'seasonal' heat supplement. And man, for $350 shipped (incl. piping, etc.), you cant go wrong. Even if you don't have a fireplace, keep it in your basement and set up window exhaust system in case SHTF...

I did a little research on how to safely convert your fireplace to accept a wood burning stove pipe. I cut a piece of cement board to the exact size of the fireplace opening. When the stove comes, Ill engineer an opening that will allow for proper exhaust.

This is how it looks so far:

From their site: Linky

Four Dog DX Model:
"True air tight door with a high temp gasket for a air tight seal ! A baffled fire box that makes the stove approx 20-30% more efficient then other stoves, by forcing flames to go around the baffle before exiting the firebox. It keeps the heat in the fire box not being lost up the stove pipe ! Four dog models allow you to burn less wood, have more heat with less work!"

... and get this, they actually have a titanium model... :drool:

She weighs about 60 lbs. These have been made by a single family in MN for the past 21 years. Nice not to buy something from China... :clapping: