Quantcast

Dark Mountain DH course review.

jmtf40

Chimp
May 30, 2005
I checked out Dark mtn. this weekend, and it is definately a very good addition to the dh courses that we have to choose from in the south.
THe trail work was very impressive, and obvious that alot of time and effort went into it. The best way to describe it is short and fast. I'm guessing around ETSU times for the race in June.

Almost all the fast or tight corners were bermed. The trail flowed from top to bottom, with only the very last part at the bottom, and the first 80 feet or so at the top being fairly flat. On top of all the jumps that they built, there is a 25 foot rock garden section that is "southern rocks" style, to encourage full on dh bike use.
I rode my giant dh team and had a blast, but would definately say that a lighter 4 to 6 inch bike would be optimal for this course(just think of what bike you would ride at ETSU). There is no spot on the course where you will lose momentum(so long as you are upright the whole way down)
I talked and got to walk and ride the course with the nice folks who are putting on the race, and it sounds like they are really doing things right with the race promotion.

Anyone who enjoys racing at ETSU or Fontana I know will like this place. Dark mtn has it's own unique ride to it; just lots of flowy corners with fun jumps and nothing really dangerous, except for maybe the rock garden.

The only little concern that I have is that there were talks of having the race extend past where the trail finishes, and take it across a large field adding in some man made obstacles to the finish (I think this was for some photographers and newspaper coverage). The field is flat, and I am pretty sure might kill the momentum of the racers, but this was just an idea that I heard tossed around. Regardless, should be a cool race.

It would be nice if a bunch of regional racers went to the race to show some support for the guys who are trying to keep the race scene alive in the south.
And of course the most selfish reason is that the course is just way too good not to check out.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Thanks for the review!!! :thumb: Really enjoyed riding yesterday, you definitely helped me push my limits by trying to keep up with you...especially on the larger jump at the bottom.

Later

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I rode the course with motomike and others a few weekends ago and had a blast. I think that some man made obstacles at the end like laders and stuff would be cool, but unfortunetly my lazy arse is so outta shape that those would kill my time (but thats no reason not to do them). I'd love to go to the race but unfortunatly I'l be leaving at 3am that morning for the Dominican Republic. Thanks to Guard and his crew for all their work!

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Cool deal...we have improved one section since you last rode it that greatly improves the flow & speed. We plan to be out there every weekend until the race; either riding or touching up areas to make them look preetttyy :D

jmtf40

Chimp
May 30, 2005
Guard said:
Thanks for the review!!! :thumb: Really enjoyed riding yesterday, you definitely helped me push my limits by trying to keep up with you...especially on the larger jump at the bottom.

Later

Yeah that was alot of fun,
I'm already planning on coming back for a weekend of xc riding and dh, and have a few more people who are interested in checking the place out. Those xc trails looked sweet also.

jmtf40

Chimp
May 30, 2005
spoke80 said:
Jlo,
How long did it take you to get to the trail?

I think it was like 3 1/2 hours from Knoxvegas.

I don't have the trail map in front of me, but the dh trail is easy to find.
From the parking lot, go to the far end of the field to go to the bottom of the dh trail., sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, gotta head back to work

later

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Trail Map - sorry for the delay. I should have done this to start with. The attached file contains a map of the Dark Mtn trail system. I have written in were the DH trail starts & provided arrows to illustrate the direction of the course. Hope this helps. Also I'll be at Dark Mtn almost of day Saturday's & Sunday's until the after the race. Do a little fine tuning & riding. Just let me know if you plan to come pre-ride & I can meet you to show you around.

Thanks!

Attachments

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
santacruzed said:
ok thanks for that tid-bit of info....anyone else have a way for me to get to the "beginning" of the dh run?
Go up the dirt road cut in the "mountain". Ride, hike, push, crawl up it to the VERY top, then proceed along the same fireroad along the top of the hill and the course will be on the left.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Oh yeah, we'll have a shuttle for the race. Also once you locate the dh course its a little easier to push back up the trail...however just keep an eye open for on coming traffic! :thumb:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Sorry but I don't have any new pics...can you believe I don't have a camera...seems like everytime I think about getting one I decide to get a bike part instead... However provided the weather is good this Sunday the photographer for the event is coming up to look over the course to see were the best shots will be. I'm going to be riding so she can get somewhat of a frame for the speed that we'll be hitting the obstacles. I'll see if these can be upload to a site. If so I'll update on Monday.

Later