Quantcast

Dark Mtn Race - Negative feeback/Suggestions

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
As with last year we'd like to receive negative feedback on the event so to try to make things better. Last year we incorporated most of the recommendations, i.e. through in some more berms, made the pyramid jump smaller, took some of the pedaling out of the course and guaranteed a Pro payout. A couple of things mentioned so far are that some of the berms need to be bigger & doing something with the pyramid jump.

Thanks for feedback! :)

conair-mtb

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
Eastern NC
I know you had some issues with the scoring but to tell ya the truth...it was still a damn fine race! You guys are doing an awesome job and the course was great. BTW...who dropped their tranny shuttling us up the course?:rofl: That had to hurt!!!

The only thing I would offer is to maybe have a food vendor or just grill hotdogs/hamburgers for sale.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Hey first thanks for the hard work the race was really fun!
sounds like you have the key points already in mind, however berms
seemed ok just trees growing out of the center hurt, literally-I hit one!
can you eliminate some trees? especially if you consider having a night race.
the A frame jump should be moved back to half way between the
wall turn and berm afterwards, and have a bigger transition to land
on. Think step-down. It's hard to build jumps that work for beg. and
pros! options like a roller then short gap to table, long gap to
clear to backside of table, triple stepdowns etc. can present friendly
short landings while providing longer options for faster riders, which
in turn gives the beg. jumper something to "grow into" some jumps
seemed a little nosey at high speed. However the race was still good,
if you were fast you had to know when to hold back a little etc. that
takes skill and patience, things that good riders are made of.
Something I could have used in the first turn to stay off that tree!
thanks again for your guys passion! nice to see the follow up here etc.
you just need a slalom and your race will rule! Thanks Chuck

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
conair-mtb,
The dude that dropped his tranny was fink...he was light hearted about it as I would have probably cried as that's got to be expensive to fix! We tried to get the boy scouts this year to sale some food but it didn't look feasible for them from a monetary stand point. Maybe next year we can just get some club volunteers to man a chow station, possibly have Papa John's or something.

Chuck,
Man I thought you were down for the count when you hit that tree...it looked ugly! We'll definitely take some of the trees out or if there to big at least put some crash pads on them. Consider the one you hit out of here...we'll cut it down for sure. Your recommendation on the jump sounds awesome. I especially like the short gap to table.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
The race was a success IMO. There really isn't a need for bigger berms. The only thing that needs to be worked on is the Aframe jump. Chuck summed it up pretty well. I ended up bending my frame on that jump. My upper shock mount tabs were smacking my air shock when I bottomed out on the landing. Not to mention my rear tire was scrubbing on my seat tube.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
CharlieM said:
The only thing that needs to be worked on is the Aframe jump. .
Yep, fix that wrist crusher and it will be all good in my opinion.
Oh yeah, and maybe send out a reminder to birdbrains like myself not to bring a big gun to a knife fight.:rofl:
Just kidding, I should have known better.:)
I had a good time, and I hope we can race it again next year.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i had a problem with that rock near the tree...you know, with the dirt around it and the leaves and stuff. ;)

great race as usual! :thumb:

the a-frame caused me to bottom my demo for the first time :thumb:

Dolt

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004

How about a SuperD race down the shuttle road???:thumb:

Had a great time...just wish there were more races there or like it...

I'll be there again next year...

Dolt.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Agreed on the A-frame jump. Perhaps there could be a little wider lip with the left side line still rollable, and then build up that berm a bunch (ok, a ton) so that it could also serve as the lander if one were to hip the jump? I know that's a lot of dirt, but it would still be ridable by everyone, and the landing wouldn't be as harsh...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey Matt,
To heck with a night race, is there any chance you guys would put on another DH in the fall. I would be up for it.
No need to bring in Gallagher to do the timing, as I know that is expensive. You can just set up stopwatches old school style.:)
That course would be a blast in October when its cooler.
Plus, I just walked by my slalom bike, and I think I heard it crying,
"Why did he leave me at home?" :rofl:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Jeremy R said:
Hey Matt,
To heck with a night race, is there any chance you guys would put on another DH in the fall. I would be up for it.
No need to bring in Gallagher to do the timing, as I know that is expensive. You can just set up stopwatches old school style.:)
That course would be a blast in October when its cooler.
Plus, I just walked by my slalom bike, and I think I heard it crying,
"Why did he leave me at home?" :rofl:
I'll second this. Let's fix that a-frame and have another race this fall. Last weekend was awesome!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Because I apparantly told him to bring the Demo. haha sucker!

actually I don't really remember saying that, but he insists I did. That's it, blame it on the skinny guy. :rofl:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Thanks guys, I'll bring up a fall race at the next club meeting. The club still has two more events this year so we're pretty tight on time. I've already got one of our guys checking on insurance requirements if we raced without NORBA. If we did have a race then we'd have to just do something like 100% payback as the chances of getting any sponsors this last in the year would be slim to none. In regards to the Super D mentioned above, we are currently cutting a trail that will connect Dark Mtn to another area (Fish Dam Creek). When this section is finished it should be ideal for a Super D...the clubs already been talking about this as well.

Later

Dolt

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
Sup,

Oh heck yea...SuperD would be a blast. The xc trails are as much fun as the DH course...a D would be a blast.

Dolt...

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
I think there should be a costume contest.

I second all the suggestions. Food: TORC has had good success with cold wraps made in a nearby member's kitchen. Very high profit margins and effort-to-customer satisfaction ratios. Of course, we've got a couple of members with food service backgrounds which helps. I'd be happy to pass out contact info if you're interested.

A frame: I agree it needs help, but I'd hate to see it too sanitized; I think it's great HT/FS equalizer. I bet if you announced a workday specifically for the A frame you'd get a huge turn out since so many people seem to have a opinion about it.

Super D and/or DS would be incredible.

Another race: I heartily agree with the sentiment, especially the fall/night ride suggestions that have been bandied about. I don't know the intricacies of the relationship between BMCC and the Corps, especially as involves racing, but it would be awesome to see something more informal. If there's no prizes or shuttle, isn't it just a group ride (which should be covered under your club insurance) even if some guys show up with stop watches and radios? This really is just a brainstorm, the last thing I'd want to do is make things sticky for you with your stakeholders.

Finally, I thought I saw some pro photogs at the race like last year -- are there pics up somewhere? All I really want in a good shot of myself in my racing gear.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
meatboot said:
I think there should be a costume contest.
Finally, I thought I saw some pro photogs at the race like last year -- are there pics up somewhere? All I really want in a good shot of myself in my racing gear.
Yeah there was a site with pics but they have since been removed...the photographer is now concentrating on wedding and such rather than sporting events...oh well...

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Got some bad news back about the insurance...if we time individuals and present some type of recognition then the insurance company considers it a race which would cost a minimum of $1000. That coupled with EMS, water and port-a-john's brings things up to around $1500 which definitely makes it about impossible without charging a big entry fee. I guess NORBA does add some value...