Quantcast

Day #1

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I deactivated my facebook account yesterday. There was some serious advantages to FB but there was also a lot of other annoyances. I hated the lack of privacy.

Anybody else recently deleted their account?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I deactivated my facebook account yesterday. There was some serious advantages to FB but there was also a lot of other annoyances. I hated the lack of privacy.

Anybody else recently deleted their account?
the 'lack of privacy' canard always makes me laugh. what isn't in your control in regards to your privacy? you control the content you post, right?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I was recently cajoled into creating an account. I've got some photos and stuff on there. But I keep waiting for something to happen.....(Besides a ga-jillion posts per day about Luc's riding adventures).

I don't find it terribly...interactive or stimulating. And if I make the mistake of commetning on someone's "status" then I get a bunch of notifiers when others do it too...and i don't care about that.

I dunno....while I am trying to like it, I'm finding Facebook to be rather pointless.

My wife deleted her account a couple of weeks ago....

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
You can control almost every aspect of your content and it's privacy. Takes a couple minutes to set up.

I use FB as an event planner/notifier and as a way to share pics of things I've done / places I've been. Beats the hell out of e-mailing large picture files to everyone who might want them.
I simply set everything to "only friends" and worry about nothing. Easy.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I use FB as an event planner/notifier and as a way to share pics of things I've done / places I've been. Beats the hell out of e-mailing large picture files to everyone who might want them.
I simply set everything to "only friends" and worry about nothing. Easy.
:imstupid:

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
im seriously thinking on deleting it too.... it was cool at first, but rather uneventful lately

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
It is pointless....totally.
If it is easier than email (for events, planning, etc...) what about people who dont have the face book?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It's a free service and they sell ad space to make money... and people expect privacy? :rofl: :rofl:

Frikkin' n00bs.
no sh1t. try using a mobile phone w/ Verizon...
WE MAY USE AND SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU AND HOW YOU USE THE SERVICES: (A) SO WE CAN PROVIDE OUR GOODS OR SERVICES; (B) SO OTHERS CAN PROVIDE GOODS OR SERVICES TO US, OR TO YOU ON OUR BEHALF; (C) SO WE OR OUR AFFILIATES CAN COMMUNICATE WITH YOU ABOUT GOODS OR SERVICES THAT ANY OF US OFFER (ALTHOUGH YOU CAN CALL US ANYTIME IF YOU DON'T WANT US TO DO THIS); (D) TO PROTECT OURSELVES; OR (E) AS REQUIRED BY LAW, LEGAL PROCESS OR EXIGENT CIRCUMSTANCES. IN ADDITION, WE MAY INCLUDE OUR OWN OR THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING IN THE SERVICES YOU'VE PURCHASED FROM US, AND WE MAY SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU WITH AFFILIATES, VENDORS AND THIRD PARTIES TO, IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE REASONS, DELIVER RELEVANT ADVERTISING TO YOU WHILE USING THE SERVICES. WE MAY COLLECT AND TRANSMIT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES THROUGH APPLICATIONS OR OTHER SOFTWARE PRESENT ON YOUR DEVICE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT US TO COLLECT, TRANSMIT OR USE SUCH INFORMATION ABOUT YOU FOR THE ABOVE PURPOSES, YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE SERVICES; BY USING THE SERVICES, YOU EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZE US TO USE YOUR INFORMATION FOR THESE PURPOSES

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I know a lot of people (mostly older folks) who seem to think that if they have a FB account, someone is going to get their SSN, their Credit Card #'s, basically all their personal info. It cracks me up...but also makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

I've always assumed ANYTHING I've posted online is public domain. Safer that way. Not to mention employers are looking up potential employees FB pages now...

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I've had an account since 05 when you had to have a university email. I don't see what the latest buzz about privacy is. The privacy settings cover everything, and if there is something that important that no one can know...don't put it on your page in the first place?

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
What's that for? Do you even know how it all works?

I don't keep anything embarrassing or scandalous on my page and I don't befriend people that don't fit that description in real life.

Do you think I should be worried that I'll see Patagonia ads on my screen because I hike a lot? Oh no, I wouldn't want that now. I might just buy something.

Or are you just hatin' ?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I don't keep anything embarrassing or scandalous on my page and I don't befriend people that don't fit that description in real life.

Do you think I should be worried that I'll see Patagonia ads on my screen because I hike a lot? Oh no, I wouldn't want that now. I might just buy something.

Or are you just hatin' ?
I think she was agreeing with you on how you use it. :think:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Or are you just hatin' ?
Methinks she meant to use the "I'm WITH stupid" smilie.........:think:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Heidi = smiley noob.

I don't post anything there that I would not want the entire world to know about and I have all my security set to friends only.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I know a lot of people (mostly older folks) who seem to think that if they have a FB account, someone is going to get their SSN, their Credit Card #'s, basically all their personal info. It cracks me up...but also makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

I've always assumed ANYTHING I've posted online is public domain. Safer that way. Not to mention employers are looking up potential employees FB pages now...
That's my mother-in-law.

Heidi = smiley noob.

I don't post anything there that I would not want the entire world to know about and I have all my security set to friends only.
:stupid: