Quantcast

Day to Kill in San Francisco: What should I do?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I will be in SF next week for a conference. It turns out that it is cheaper to keep me there for an extra day, then it is to pay the airfare to send me home when the conf. ends.

So, I get to spend next Friday (the 13th) hanging out in the city.

What should I do?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is a lot to do in the city, from touristy things like Fisherman's Wharf, museums from the classic to modern, and of course, some spectacular views.

I would think about riding too. You could go up Mt Tam...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Are you looking for a gritty drunken day, a glamour day, a food day, some time in the woods, or a day of tourist traps? A little help on what you are picturing as your ideal day and we can give you some better ideas, there is no way to do everything in one day. Also, will you have a bike and gear or what?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
No, I won't have a bike or gear. If I had thought about this earlier, I would have considered shipping it out there and trying to arrange some riding. Is it feasible to get out of the city (I will be near the Moscone Center) and rent a bike for some XC or DH? Anything close?

I have only been to the city once before and I saw the redwoods and Fisherman's Wharf. I am open to a lot of things, famous sites in the city, museums, record stores, whatever. I have hardly been there, so almost anything cool would be fun. I am going with four other guys from work who may or may not come along. Some of them want to go to Napa, but I'm not going to let their plans get in the way.

Thanks y'all.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DNA said:
No, I won't have a bike or gear. If I had thought about this earlier, I would have considered shipping it out there and trying to arrange some riding. Is it feasible to get out of the city (I will be near the Moscone Center) and rent a bike for some XC or DH? Anything close?

I have only been to the city once before and I saw the redwoods and Fisherman's Wharf. I am open to a lot of things, famous sites in the city, museums, record stores, whatever. I have hardly been there, so almost anything cool would be fun. I am going with four other guys from work who may or may not come along. Some of them want to go to Napa, but I'm not going to let their plans get in the way.

Thanks y'all.
Napa is effed up right now, downtown was flooded last week.

The new De Young is pretty kick ass.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Vision Cyclery (Go to the end of Haight St. @ GG Park and then go one block south) will rent out high quality MTB's. Go rent one for the day and then cruise Golden Gate park. There is plenty of singletrack, Urban (bandshell area), and a few nice drop sections.

Huh.. I went to find the tele# and can't find it anywhere.
Are they still open?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Amoeba records is on Haight too, also at that end, so you can kill two birds with one stone. GG park does have some fun riding stuff, but some of it is well hidden.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
-BB- said:
Vision Cyclery (Go to the end of Haight St. @ GG Park and then go one block south) will rent out high quality MTB's. Go rent one for the day and then cruise Golden Gate park. There is plenty of singletrack, Urban (bandshell area), and a few nice drop sections.

Huh.. I went to find the tele# and can't find it anywhere.
Are they still open?
Vision's closed.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
if you want to ride and need a bike, you are more than welcome to borrow one of mine (i'm kind of tall, but many of them have really low standover) i have plenty of them, all fancy, none to leave lock down the street for sure, but exepet for that you can trash them all you want, what is the reason they are made for.....

the only problem is that i live in berkeley across the bridge, but maybe we can figure something out maybe a little ride at skaags point or something will be fun.. (if i don't have any work for that day, so far i don't know)

just let me know.

Ricardo

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
patineto said:
if you want to ride and need a bike, you are more than welcome to borrow one of mine (i'm kind of tall, but many of them have really low standover) i have plenty of them, all fancy, none to leave lock down the street for sure, but exepet for that you can trash them all you want, what is the reason they are made for.....

the only problem is that i live in berkeley across the bridge, but maybe we can figure something out maybe a little ride at skaags point or something will be fun.. (if i don't have any work for that day, so far i don't know)

just let me know.

Ricardo
Skaag's Point is awesome riding! I've ridden there many times, it's so much fun. (Except for the climb back up at the end...)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Whenever I'm attending a conference at Moscone (every December) I usually escape to the Thirsty Bear Brewing Co. for a few pints during slow parts of the meeting. From Moscone, head NE on Howard, just past Chevy's and the W Hotel.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Start with a "breakfast" of crab, lobster, oysters and Anchor Steam at Swan Oyster Depot on Polk. Wander up through Pacific Heights to check out some killer views and see how the other half lives. Make your way over to North Beach for lunch, maybe at a place like Rose Pistola, Washington Square Bar and Grill, or Mario's Cigar Bar. Then go to Tommy's Mexican restaurant on Geary for the best margarita in town. Properly adjusted, then go to the new De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. Then go to American Cyclery on Stanyan for a funky old bike shop experience (say hi to Brad and Henry). Then yes, go to Amoeba Records on Haight. Then walk down Haight Street to the Toronado for the best beer selection in the city (maybe in the country), stopping for a moment of quiet hippy contemplation at Haight/Ashbury. For dinner, go to Zuni Cafe over on Market, then head over to Zietgeist on Valencia for more drinks. If you are still standing, keep going deeper into the Mission to any number of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. I love this town...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
OGRipper said:
Start with a "breakfast" of crab, lobster, oysters and Anchor Steam at Swan Oyster Depot on Polk. Wander up through Pacific Heights to check out some killer views and see how the other half lives. Make your way over to North Beach for lunch, maybe at a place like Rose Pistola, Washington Square Bar and Grill, or Mario's Cigar Bar. Then go to Tommy's Mexican restaurant on Geary for the best margarita in town. Properly adjusted, then go to the new De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. Then go to American Cyclery on Stanyan for a funky old bike shop experience (say hi to Brad and Henry). Then yes, go to Amoeba Records on Haight. Then walk down Haight Street to the Toronado for the best beer selection in the city (maybe in the country), stopping for a moment of quiet hippy contemplation at Haight/Ashbury. For dinner, go to Zuni Cafe over on Market, then head over to Zietgeist on Valencia for more drinks. If you are still standing, keep going deeper into the Mission to any number of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. I love this town...
Now THAT is some travel advice. Thanks!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
its a city, so there is a lot to do, if you haven't seen the Alcatraz Prisonn i would go and do that,its cool but its an all day thing

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Thanks for the help. What did I end up doing? Not jack. I was sick the whole freaking time I was there. I did manage to make it down to Amoeba Records, but that was about it for having fun.