Quantcast

dc ++ problem

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
hi , i have problem with starting using dc++
i download the version from dc++ site and than i find instruction how to install i mean how to configure stuff in settings and after i do all that i cant connect, and i need your help to guide me i dont know where i go worng...

i have kazaa lite, e-mule, bittorent, lime ware and when i look for some movies i hear from friends that on dc++ are allmost all movies i am looking for so can someone help me...

thx

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
there are so many things that can be wrong, its kinda hard to know with so little information.
try connecting in pasive mode to start.

you cant connect at all? or you cant get search results??

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i install it and when i enter my nick and after all i go to search and nothing iwait and wait and nothing, i dont know where is the problem i thing its settings but i dont know what to put there...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Downhiller said:
i install it and when i enter my nick and after all i go to search and nothing iwait and wait and nothing, i dont know where is the problem i thing its settings but i dont know what to put there...
try to connect in passive mode.
you´ll get less hits, but you will be able to download.

File-Settings-Connection

and check the "passive" box. then restart.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm psyched...i finally got my connection set to ACTIVE last night....there was a portforwarding.com site or so that helped me out.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
narlus said:
i'm psyched...i finally got my connection set to ACTIVE last night....there was a portforwarding.com site or so that helped me out.

could you expand that please??
am still connecting on passive mode..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you need to open a port on yr router, then specify DC++ via the settings to use it.

check out info here:

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

i've got a linksys router WRT54GS and it worked fine! all you need to do is to get to yr router configuration screen, follow their instructions, but in the DC++ window put in yr IP address and not the routers.

if you have any problems, i will post a lengthy cut/paste job i've got at home.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
could you expand that please??
am still connecting on passive mode..
You just need to find out what ports DC++ uses to send and receive data. Those ports need to go into your router's port forwarding section, to be forwarded to whatever the IP is of the computer you are using the program on.

edit: beaten by narlus!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
You just need to find out what ports DC++ uses to send and receive data. Those ports need to go into your router's port forwarding section, to be forwarded to whatever the IP is of the computer you are using the program on.

edit: beaten by narlus!
heh, that doesn't happen too often, esp in this forum.

you can specify *any* port number you want, within a certain range (something like 1200 to 66000), just remember what port you used (use the same number for both ends of the range; it'll make more sense when you are at yr router config screen) and pop that same number into DC++. also, i think you need to use both UdP and TdP (could have the letters wrong).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
you can specify *any* port number you want, within a certain range (something like 1200 to 66000), just remember what port you used (use the same number for both ends of the range; it'll make more sense when you are at yr router config screen) and pop that same number into DC++. also, i think you need to use both UdP and TdP (could have the letters wrong).
It's actually TCP and UDP :). They specifiy incoming (TCP) and outgoing (UDP). Depends on how the client is set up if they use the same ports for incoming and outgoing. If the DC++ client just has one set of ports, then you need to make sure your router is forwarding both types.

Most programs allow you to specify ports, but, at least with programs like Gnutella sharing clients, there are the occasional clients that have the ports specified for you. So sometimes it's easier to go in that direction instead. Doesn't matter, though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I. INSTRUCTIONS FOR ROUTERS
|
| STEP 1: Do you have a router? (Skip if you already know the answer to this)
| A router is typically used to connect multiple computers to a single internet connection. If you have more than one
| computer in your residence, then you probably have a router. (Note: you might still have a router even if you have just one computer.)
| To determine if you have a router, find the source of your internet connection, i.e., the place where the internet line enters your
| residence. For high-speed internet, this will usually be a phone or cable jack. Your MODEM, which is just a small plastic box,
| will be *directly connected* to the jack by a thick cable.
|
| Now check to see if your computer is directly connected to the modem. If your computer IS directly connected to the modem,
| then you do not have a router. However, if you see a little plastic box in between the modem and your computer, then it's
| probably a router. Some routers are connected to your computer by cable. Others are wireless, in which case you won't see a
| cable directly connecting your computer to the router. Wireless routers usually have a small antenna on them.
|
| STEP 2: Accessing your router's settings
| You need to access your router's settings in order to "forward a port". A PORT is just a line of communication. By forwarding
| a port in your router settings, you assign a specific line of communication to the DC++ program. That way, DC++ knows where to
| look when it needs to send and receive data.
|
| You can access your router settings with a regular internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.), but you'll need to know
| your router's address first. If you have the documentation that came with your router, then the address will be provided there.
| If you don't have the documentation, you can still easily find your router's address by Googling the make and model number.
| (Note: the make and model number can be found on the router itself.) Default addresses for the most common routers are listed below:
|
| -- Linksys: 192.168.1.1
| -- Netgear: 192.168.0.1
| -- D-Link: 192.168.0.1
| -- Belkin: 192.168.2.1
| -- Siemens: 192.168.254.254
|
| Once you've found your router's address, simply paste it into your internet browser's address line and press enter. If you've used
| the correct address, then you'll immediately see a dialogue box pop up and ask for a USERNAME and PASSWORD. Both of these
| are provided in your router's documentation. If you are unable to locate the username and password for your router, you can easily
| obtain this information from the internet. This link provides a list of the default usernames and passwords for the most common
| routers: http://www.otosoftware.com/wwhelp/Default_Router_Usernames_and_Passwords.htm
| If your router doesn't appear in the list, try Googling for the information.
|
| Find the default username and password for your router and enter them in the corresponding fields in the popup window. Click OK.
| At this point, your router settings should appear in your browser window. If they do not, then it's possible that the default username
| and password for your router have been changed, in which case you'll need to locate the individual who installed your router and
| obtain the username and password from him/her.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
STEP 3: Forwarding a port
| Once you've accessed your router's settings, look for an option called port forwarding, port mapping, port redirecting, or
| something similar. Once you've accessed that option, you'll be asked to provide a port number and an IP address. For the port
| number, simply pick any number between 1024 and 65535. If you're asked to enter a "start port" and an "end port", then enter the
| same number in both fields. DO NOT FORGET THE NUMBER. You'll need it later. Also, if your router gives you the option of UDP
| and TCP, make sure you forward both. For the IP address, you need to enter your INTERNAL IP address. To find your internal ip
| address, go to your computer's Start menu and click on Run. Enter "cmd" (without the apostrophes) and click OK. A small black
| window will pop up. In this window, type "ipconfig" (again, without the apostrophes). You'll see a readout that looks something like this:
|
| Windows 2000 IP Configuration
|
| Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
|
| Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
| IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
| Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
| Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
|
| The IP address listed is your computer's internal IP address. That's the one you need to enter in your router settings. Once you've
| entered the port number and IP address in your router settings, click OK. You have now forwarded a port. NOTE: if you require
| more specific information, see this site: http://www.portforward.com/ It contains detailed instructions and diagrams for each brand of router.
|
| STEP 4: Updating your DC++ settings
| Open DC++. Click on File and then Settings. Under the General tab, you'll see a section for Connection Settings. Select the option
| for Active. Once you've done this, you'll need to enter two pieces of information:
| 1. IP address: in the field that says IP, you must enter your EXTERNAL IP address. Note that this is NOT the same IP address
| you entered in your router settings. To obtain your external IP address, go to www.whatismyip.com
| 2. In the Port field, enter the number of the port you just forwarded. If your version of DC++ asks for both a UDP and a TCP
| port number, enter the same number in both fields.
| Click OK. Your router and direct connect client are now fully configured for active mode. If you don't have a firewall, then you're done.
| Go to section III to test your settings. If you do have a firewall, read the next section.
|
|
| II. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FIREWALLS
|
| Software firewalls vary significantly from one another, but the basic idea is that you need to configure your firewall to allow outbound
| connections for DC++. If you use the Windows XP firewall, configure it according to the instructions on this page:
| http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc/3.1+Software+Firewalls#11730
|
| For all other firewalls, see this page: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc/3.1 Software Firewalls
|
| If you don't see your firewall listed, try Googling for instructions. There should be plenty of information available. Note that the ZoneAlarm
| firewall is fundamentally incompatible with DC++. Don't use it.
|
|
| III. TESTING YOUR SETTINGS
|
| Once you've updated your router, your DC++ settings, and your firewall, you should check to make sure everything is working properly.
| To do this, simply search for a very common search term, something you know other users will have (e.g., Radiohead). If you get results,
| then you've configured active mode properly. Congratulations! If you don't get any results, look back through the instructions and make
| sure you didn't miss something. If you're sure you did everything correclty, but you still don't get search results, contact an OP for
| further assistance.
|
|
| IV. ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
|
| DC++ FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc
| Port forwarding assistance: http://www.portforward.com/

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a file sharing program. It works on centralized "hubs", very similar to IRC in that the hubs don't communicate with each other and the only people you talk to/share with are those connected to your hub. Your file transfers are peer-to-peer, though, not through the hub server. The server is only there to provide a communication medium.

Most of the good hubs require an invitation to obtain permission to log on, which is partly why, even though it's a certralized file sharing service, it's not getting shut down. I tried a bunch of the free hubs and they generally blow :)