Quantcast

DC'rs I need Commuting HELP

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I am the new service manager at City Bikes in Adams Morgan, problem is I have no clue how to get there. Cory helped me while driving there about a year ago, but there is no parking in the world. Does anyone suggest parking lots, or metro? I'll be commuting from ANNAPOLIS, and I would rather park outside the city somewhere and drive in. If anyone knows of anywhere to park safe, or ideas that would help thanks!!!

-Arleigh

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Arsbars said:
I am the new service manager at City Bikes in Adams Morgan, problem is I have no clue how to get there. Cory helped me while driving there about a year ago, but there is no parking in the world. Does anyone suggest parking lots, or metro? I'll be commuting from ANNAPOLIS, and I would rather park outside the city somewhere and drive in. If anyone knows of anywhere to park safe, or ideas that would help thanks!!!

-Arleigh
i don't really know much about the annapolis area (sounds like a loooong commute though), but i live 2 blocks from city bikes. the closest metro stops to it are the columbia heights on the green line and woodley park/adams morgan on the red line. columbia heights is actually the closest (about a 10 minute walk), but isn't in the greatest neighborhood. the woodley parks stop would be about a 15 minute walk. as far as driving into that area... from MD, i usually drive in through 16th street although traffic sucks during rush hour all over the place.

if you decide to try to drive/park into the city... i don't really know of any parking lots in the city bikes area (since i'm a DC zone 1 resident, i just park on the street). you could technically park your car around there, but would have to legally move it every 2 hours between 7am - 6:30pm (or something like that) during the week or pump local meters full of quarters.

hope this helps... good luck!

info on the metro here: http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I know the 921 bus drops off at the New Carrollton Metro Station.

If the bus isn't your thing, there's a pay lot at the New Carrollton Metro station.

If you want to bike, check to see if there's parking available at someplace like RFK stadium, then bike the rest of the way to work.

edit: according to http://www.dcsec.com/rfk_stadium/services.asp commuter parking is available at RFK for $2 - $3 per day

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
There just isn't any quality bike shops that I would give my time to in the area. I believe what they stand for and get good pay. I used to work at the Chevy Chase shop right off 495 but was given the opportunity at the other shop (adams morgan.) I'll prolly be doing a bit of metro/biking.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Arsbars said:
There just isn't any quality bike shops that I would give my time to in the area. I believe what they stand for and get good pay. I used to work at the Chevy Chase shop right off 495 but was given the opportunity at the other shop (adams morgan.) I'll prolly be doing a bit of metro/biking.
I say, "Congratulations!!!!!!"

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Arsbars,

I work at City Bikes in AM a couple days a week and commute from Silver Spring by bike. I ride down 14th street and turn right on Columbia to Champlain at 18th. There's a bike lane almost the entire way and you can park legally just outside the district line in MD. It's about 10-15 minutes from the line.

When do you start - and can you cover my shift Sunday 1 August?? haha. No really.

-Steve

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
hahha, what's your name Stiff? As Service Manager I start Monday, but I've been in and out for the past couple days. Transfering from the Chevy Chase shop, I'm sure i've seen ya...

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
wait a second... you all work at city bikes? i just had my cannondale in there about three weeks ago cause i was gonna get the fork rebuilt... and then got lazy and haven't had the time to get back...

i need new cables...

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
fasterTHANyou said:
wait a second... you all work at city bikes? i just had my cannondale in there about three weeks ago cause i was gonna get the fork rebuilt... and then got lazy and haven't had the time to get back...
/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw your bike in the warehouse so I took it out to see if I could do some tripled stair gaps, roof drops, and moving bus wall rides on XC bike....hope you don't mind.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
fasterTHANyou said:

i need new cables...
Ha- well you better call up and get some new cables eh?