Quantcast

Dead forum alert!

rob pennell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2006
Lawrence, KS
Wow! No posts since last night. Ok, I'll get something going here. Seems like the new thing is wider/bigger 29er tires. My question is why? I race in the midwest (rocks) and east coast (rocks and hills) every year. I really have no problem riding full ridged XC type stuff with 2.1's and I really dont see the need for the big rubber except for all mountian duty. But thats just me. What are your reasons for bigger tires?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
more cushin for the pushin....

i figure somebody was bound to say it sooner or later. :biggrin:

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Isn't bigger better:bonk:

The quest for me the last 7 seasons is just a decent front tire and having knobs and some more volume up there used to work on the 26" bikes years ago for me. Quite frankly I still use a Nano in the rear mostly. Want to try the Rampage as a front though........and now I live where it is going to be muddy a bunch so I am thinking about one of those Firecross's for a rear tire as a mud cutter.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Wow! No posts since last night. Ok, I'll get something going here. Seems like the new thing is wider/bigger 29er tires. My question is why? I race in the midwest (rocks) and east coast (rocks and hills) every year. I really have no problem riding full ridged XC type stuff with 2.1's and I really dont see the need for the big rubber except for all mountian duty. But thats just me. What are your reasons for bigger tires?
Lots of XC trails on ridges out west.

The general trend in mtb trail tires is to go wider. In the same way suspension has become "normal" so has the 2.2-2.4" tire.

XC racing is no longer the leading influence in mt bikes.

I like tires of all sizes and change them as often as my socks.

rob pennell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2006
Lawrence, KS
Lots of XC trails on ridges out west.

The general trend in mtb trail tires is to go wider. In the same way suspension has become "normal" so has the 2.2-2.4" tire.

XC racing is no longer the leading influence in mt bikes.

I like tires of all sizes and change them as often as my socks.
I guess I'm a little different. I try different tires and yes I've tried most of the new big ones and I end up going back to the Noto's every time. I'm riding the Karma 2.2 up front now and its great but I keep hanging stuff with it. I cant seem to perfectly place it between two rocks at speed. Yea, its more cushy (sp?) but I dont care about that. I ride ridged because its harder and I personally dont want it to be easier. If I miss the perfect line I should pay the price. I dont know - maybe I spend way too much time on a fixie where the perfect line rules every time. I am building myself a semi downhill rig for the Arkansas series and I will be kicking the big meats for that. But for my personal everyday riding/racing I'm cool with the 2.1 so far. Maybe I'll change over time -- will see.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I like the bigger volume tires up front for a bit of suspension, and for cornering/ braking traction. A skinnier rear for less rolling resistance and less weight. I can't say as I have trouble getting through "most" places with a bigger front. Sometimes I hang it up on a rut or root, but usually it's due to a poor choice on my part and not necessarily tire width. Way back when, we all ran super fat 2.5", bulbous tires up front, in the pre-suspended days. I like that for my rigid riding.

Finally, the slightly muddy, snowy, or softer soil conditions that sometimes arise here in Iowa call for floatation. A bigger tire goes over, a skinny tire gets stuck in the goo. Our mud is sticky. Probably not like most places. Harder, smoother tracks are okay with the 2.1". Different treads for different tracks. I like to have a choice.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Bottom line is use what works for you.

BTW there is only one "d" in "rigid" unless you are talking about a Home Depot tool brand.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
Shiggy, how is the Rampage on side hills? Specifically bare rock.
My Exi is prone to flying away from me on some of the more off camber stuff, and you can just forget it when it's wet. I switched back from an Ignitor because the side knobs would hook stuff and sketch me out on some of the more technical lines we have.
I like the big volume thing too, waiting ever so patiently for the Nevegal...

rob pennell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2006
Lawrence, KS
Bottom line is use what works for you.

BTW there is only one "d" in "rigid" unless you are talking about a Home Depot tool brand.
Wow I really needed you to tell me I cant spell. THANKS! You know I was really enjoying this forum because it seemed more relaxed until just now. I can see the sp check button over on the top right but I just dont care enough to click it. You should should drop the "Shiggy" name and go with "Spell-Check" that way your new calling could be going around all the forums correcting everyones grammer and spelling.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wow I really needed you to tell me I cant spell. THANKS! You know I was really enjoying this forum because it seemed more relaxed until just now. I can see the sp check button over on the top right but I just dont care enough to click it. You should should drop the "Shiggy" name and go with "Spell-Check" that way your new calling could be going around all the forums correcting everyones grammer and spelling.
i kant speel netherz...

but sok, cuz ime an enginerd.

:greedy:

And no one is postin' cuz we were all out riding our big wheeled bikes!~

:)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Different strokes for different folks - more variety is better than less IMO - so I say bring em on. Choice is good!

Variety is the spice of life right? :)

Oh yeah and this ain't no dead forum - if anything it is growing and getting bigger with more and more knowledgeable people (including yourself Rob - welcome btw) joining on a steady basis.

Perhaps it was slow for a few days because many of us were out riding (or riding and coaching ice hockey). :)

rob pennell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2006
Lawrence, KS
Different strokes for different folks - more variety is better than less IMO - so I say bring em on. Choice is good!

Variety is the spice of life right? :)

Oh yeah and this ain't no dead forum - if anything it is growing and getting bigger with more and more knowledgeable people (including yourself Rob - welcome btw) joining on a steady basis.

Perhaps it was slow for a few days because many of us were out riding (or riding and coaching ice hockey). :)
I was joking about the dead forum comment. I just thought I would start a new subject and get something going.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
There used to be a guy that trolled on MTBR with the name of "SP". SP's goal in life was to be the forum spell checker. For some reason SP's corrections and the responses to the corrections would crack me up.

RM has a different vibe...I'd prefer that we keep it that way.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
There used to be a guy that trolled on MTBR with the name of "SP". SP's goal in life was to be the forum spell checker. For some reason SP's corrections and the responses to the corrections would crack me up.

RM has a different vibe...I'd prefer that we keep it that way.
yeah, look at what we let splat get away with - I guess it is because his photos more than make up for his spelling. :biggrin:

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Except "ridged" has a totally different meaning. If you meant than your bikes have narrow parallel ribs like a Ruffles potato chip I apologize. Otherwise you were repeatedly using the wrong word so it was unlikely to be a typo.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Shiggy, how is the Rampage on side hills? Specifically bare rock.
My Exi is prone to flying away from me on some of the more off camber stuff, and you can just forget it when it's wet. I switched back from an Ignitor because the side knobs would hook stuff and sketch me out on some of the more technical lines we have.
I like the big volume thing too, waiting ever so patiently for the Nevegal...
Going to depend on the rock but compared to the Exi it is a climbing shoe.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Going to depend on the rock but compared to the Exi it is a climbing shoe.
Thanks Shiggy.

Yep for around these parts of New England the Exiwolf is a crappy bare rock tire. And we have a lot of trails with these types of features.

I can't tell you how many times I failed a tricky section at my local spot because the Exiwolf slipped out on a short steep exposed rocky section of trail. :bonk: :rant:

Looking forward to seeing how the Nevegal and Rampage fair here in CT come spring.

rob pennell

Chimp
Aug 22, 2006
Lawrence, KS
Except "ridged" has a totally different meaning. If you meant than your bikes have narrow parallel ribs like a Ruffles potato chip I apologize. Otherwise you were repeatedly using the wrong word so it was unlikely to be a typo.
Oh, I see. You are 100% correct. Considering the fact that we are all complete morons this could have spun into a heated “are rigid potato chips better” debate or an even worse situation “Are Rigid power tools better than Dewalt”. That would have been a terrible thing to happen on the 29er forum and was very much a heads up catch on your part. I think you from the bottom of my heart.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Oh, I see. You are 100% correct. Considering the fact that we are all complete morons this could have spun into a heated “are rigid potato chips better” debate or an even worse situation “Are Rigid power tools better than Dewalt”. That would have been a terrible thing to happen on the 29er forum and was very much a heads up catch on your part. I think you from the bottom of my heart.
LOL My usual unavoidable typo is "I thick, therefore I am."
There are a few other words that I automatically type that are spelled correctly but totally not the right word.

BTW I will take partial credit for stopping "SP" on the other board. I would back-edit the original post was his "correction" was meaningless. If he showed up again the account would just be banned.

ncj01

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
I said the exact same thing circa 2004 on the mtbr 29er forum.

Those remarks cuased the first epic multi-day total MC vs NCJ01 smack down, and the end of our online mutual courtesy.

My point, held until this day, remains that on a XC bike, normal tires are just fine (up to 2.2 o so). However, I don't talk about this anymore, becuase of the total community pack mentality smack down I got last time.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I said the exact same thing circa 2004 on the mtbr 29er forum.

Those remarks cuased the first epic multi-day total MC vs NCJ01 smack down, and the end of our online mutual courtesy.

My point, held until this day, remains that on a XC bike, normal tires are just fine (up to 2.2 o so). However, I don't talk about this anymore, becuase of the total community pack mentality smack down I got last time.
Well, that was then, this is now... bring it on!

:banana:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I Way back when, we all ran super fat 2.5", bulbous tires up front, in the pre-suspended days. I like that for my rigid riding.

spez extreme 2.5, i think that is what ist was called.
i loved that tire for .58'' of front travel.

i still run fats for all the soft sand i ride.:pirate2:

but back in "my day" OKC cx on my can-do-fail i ran
1.5 tricross in that sticky clay. that was my first race when i was
13 and after collecting 15lbs of clay around anywhere my frame
passed my tires i walked back to see i missed my start. tricross's
were no help tat day. slick might have been good.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
spez extreme 2.5, i think that is what ist was called.
i loved that tire for .58'' of front travel.

i still run fats for all the soft sand i ride.:pirate2:

but back in "my day" OKC cx on my can-do-fail i ran
1.5 tricross in that sticky clay. that was my first race when i was
13 and after collecting 15lbs of clay around anywhere my frame
passed my tires i walked back to see i missed my start. tricross's
were no help tat day. slick might have been good.
The biggies were the Ground Control Extreme 2.5, GC More Extreme S 2.5 (the better tire IMO) and Z-Max 2.35 (which had the same volume).

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
The biggies were the Ground Control Extreme 2.5, GC More Extreme S 2.5 (the better tire IMO) and Z-Max 2.35 (which had the same volume).
yeah, that was a real tractor tire.

when is spez going to bring the GC s 1.95 back. that tire was so ahead of its time. my brother always liked the Z max, i was a GC -s
rider.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
...when is spez going to bring the GC s 1.95 back. that tire was so ahead of its time. my brother always liked the Z max, i was a GC -s
rider.
It is back. They are using it on the 25th anniversary limited edition retro Stumpjumper

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That bike looks cool - except for the modern day cranks they put on it. Why not some old square tapers or something. C'mon Big S if you are gonna do it, do it 100 percent.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Rocks, rocks, rocks...and no shocks. Riderx and our wives went to Jim Thorpe, PA last weekend:

...and my hands are still a bit sore. Gimme something bigger than the Exi, puhleeze! :)

(Pic by riderx.)
Drevil, I find the Exi to be a harsh tire for its volume. When doing back-to-back rides with it and other tires (same trail, same bike) I kept dropping the pressure in the Exi and it never felt as smooth/cushy as several smaller tires with more pressure. The Rampage on the other hand is quite good.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
It matches the 18 1/2" chainstays. The bike is a repro, and follows pretty much the same geo as the bike it is repro-ing. Things have changed.
As the story goes (assuming it is the retro Stumpy being discussed) Spec sent a Ritchey to Japan to be copied for the first Stumpjumper. Tom Ritchey claims said bike was a rejected prototype: longer and slacker than he thought was good.

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
That bike looks cool - except for the modern day cranks they put on it. Why not some old square tapers or something. C'mon Big S if you are gonna do it, do it 100 percent.
Yeah, that thing looks damn silly with the XT cranks and SRAM X.0 stuff on it. I think I'll keep riding my Fisher Klunker.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Yeah, that thing looks damn silly with the XT cranks and SRAM X.0 stuff on it. I think I'll keep riding my Fisher Klunker.
The TA cranks that were used on the original are still in production. Would look much better.