Quantcast

Dealing with an eBay Buyer

splat

Nam I am
OK so I sold the Rear trianlge of an FSR enduro
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7189314291&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESO:IT&rd=1

SOme one asked me if there were any cracks , I truthfully did not see any.

But In the Auction it say s AS-IS , the guy paid me and I shipped it to him.
he claims that it is cracked and cracked badly , that he can even see it in the pictures ( down by the hole that goes through the bottom near where it attaches to the Bottom Bracket )

I have looked at the origianls ( higher res ) anmd still do not see the crack.

He is gripping that he wants to send it back to me and that he should not lose any money on the deal so I should pay for shipping in both directions.

I have offered to refund his money and the Origianl S&H that I charged him, but told him that shipping it back to me is his responsibility.

He says I'm being unresonable , I feel I'm being more than resonable seeing as I stated in the Ad AS-IS , yet I'm still letting him return it.

Maybe I should have just been a Dink and told him tough luck

what is every body elses thoughts

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
tell him tough luck. ebay = no warranty, and if don't see the crack in your original pictures he's probably trying to take you for a ride

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I always say in all of my auctions that if the item is returned, they are responsible for paying shipping and that the original shipping amount will not be reimbursed.

Good luck! It stinks that not all Ebayers play fair.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I think you are being more than reasonable by offering to refund payment and shipping. He has to look at your position as well and cough up the return costs. If he popped for the insurance he should claim it. If he still b[tches, write him out a T.S. slip and send it with a roll of duct tape.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
splat said:
Oh and here is the close up where he says the crack is , I still don't see a crack

I see what maybe a scratch under the bearing nearest the camera but it certainly doesn't look like a crack.

Send him a bucket of sand, and he can do Echo's suggestion.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
splat said:
he claims that it is cracked and cracked badly , that he can even see it in the pictures ( down by the hole that goes through the bottom near where it attaches to the Bottom Bracket )

So, He could see the cracks in the pictures, that were up BEFORE he bought it?

Tell him to eat a dick

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you flip it around, in the picture, the pivot location is scratched and dirty. I wouldn't buy it myself, because the triangle does not meet my standards for online purchases (near perfect).

So if I did buy it, whose fault is it? Mine for not being careful or you for selling it as is?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Teach the guy a lesson on the meaning of, "as-is".

As is, means no warrenty. That's it. You get what you see here, this is what I think it is, but if it ain't, it's not my problem.

The only thing to consider is what your feedback is worth to you. If you don't satisfy him, he'll leave negative feedback. If your feedback is worth the shipping and listing costs, then maybe it's worth it to have him send it back. If you don't care, then tell him to piss up a tree.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
Teach the guy a lesson on the meaning of, "as-is".

As is, means no warrenty. That's it. You get what you see here, this is what I think it is, but if it ain't, it's not my problem.

The only thing to consider is what your feedback is worth to you. If you don't satisfy him, he'll leave negative feedback. If your feedback is worth the shipping and listing costs, then maybe it's worth it to have him send it back. If you don't care, then tell him to piss up a tree.

You may be able to get Ebay to remove the feedback if it is "unwarranted based upon the circumstances".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
You may be able to get Ebay to remove the feedback if it is "unwarranted based upon the circumstances".
that's never gonna happen. i had a guy leave me negative feedback, when he thought he was leaving it for another eBay buyer. clearly a mistake, but ebay couldn't have cared less and did nothing. they do not want to get involved in moderating feedback ratings.

splat, i'd say yr offer is reasonable. if it's cracked and unusable, he doesn't have to send it back, so then he's not out of any money? or is the deal contingent on him returning the swingarm? I guess the latter, because if there's really no crack, then he gets a free swingarm. here's what i'd do:

- have him clean the affected area
- do a dye/penetrant test
- take a photo of the putative crack and post it, the higher resolution (and using macro mode; so many people forget this is a function of their camera and closeups are all out of focus).

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
narlus said:
- have him clean the affected area
- do a dye/penetrant test
- take a photo of the putative crack and post it, the higher resolution (and using macro mode; so many people forget this is a function of their camera and closeups are all out of focus).
:stupid: The burden to "prove" the crack is on his shoulders (not to mention it was an "as is" auction.......).

splat

Nam I am
He is sending it back, I asked for picture of it , and all he did was highlight the picture off of eBay.

He has already shipped it back ( it is in Transit ), and I will refund him the $$$ But I am making him Pay for shipping back. I personally do not think it is cracked. I used that that swing arm before I Upgraded to a Beffier set ( From a Big Hit ) . and from the pictures I posted it was pretty obvious IT had been used A lot !

and I am also not refunding any Money Until I have the old swing arm back. I should tell him to Pound sand , it was an AS-IS auction , But I just don't deal that way.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Are there any identifing marks on the swing arm you sent him? It seems to me he may be trying to pull a switch on you.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The only problem I see is that you said you would answer any questions to the best of your ability. When asked "Are there any cracks in any of the parts?" I expect the best of your ability to include cleaning the muck of the parts so you can see them properly and giving them a good look over. I would not expect the part to arrive with a visible crack and would expect the seller to make it right.
If you don't have the time or inclination to inspect it to the best of your ability I would expect your answer to reflect that. "I don't have time to clean it to do a proper inspection, I can't see any cracks but there may be some under the dirt." or suchlike.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
splat said:
Oh and here is the close up where he says the crack is , I still don't see a crack

I don't see any cracks. However, that guy is putting you in a pretty bad position. I would say that you have gone above and beyond...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
tough one... i think it was awefully nice to let him return it.. and I feel he should pay shipping. another option is let him show you the crack with a pic he takes first then let figure out the return business

J

JRB

Good on you Splat, but how hard is it to knock the dirt off of stuff people are selling??? I can't imagine sending dirty crap.

splat

Nam I am
loco said:
but how hard is it to knock the dirt off of stuff people are selling??? I can't imagine sending dirty crap.
I did clean it up with a Wet rag a bit. But I did not Want people to think it was in that good of shape , because it has been used a and used hard. and most of the "dirt" is Ground in Dirt/grease/oil. to clean would require a serious scrubbing, and Quite frankly , it just isn't worth it . I was very surprised when It went for $41 I was just hopping to get $10 when I get it back, and If I find there is no crack , I'm going to offer it to the 2nd higest bidder.

J

JRB

splat said:
I did clean it up with a Wet rag a bit. But I did not Want people to think it was in that good of shape , because it has been used a and used hard. and most of the "dirt" is Ground in Dirt/grease/oil. to clean would require a serious scrubbing, and Quite frankly , it just isn't worth it . I was very surprised when It went for $41 I was just hopping to get $10 when I get it back, and If I find there is no crack , I'm going to offer it to the 2nd higest bidder.
Cool - that makes sense. :thumb:

splat

Nam I am
OK , I got the part back, and yes it was the same one I sent . I have refunded him his $$$$

and It is cracked , I wonder how long I was riding with it cracked ?

Does Specilized's Life time warrenty on frames cover swing arms ?
I think I am going to go talk to my LBS tommorow see what he says about it.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
yo splat. bring that to any specialized dealer and you'll get a new one. those old chainstays had a propensity for cracking. they warrantied mine no questions asked, didn't even have to send the old one back.

todbanner

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
some ebayers are sooooo anal!

I say that if you wrote as is in the auction then he keeps it!

tell him put it back on ebay himself and try his luck! you sent him pics and wrote as is... as far as i'm concerned the sale is final!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Man, I will NEVER deal with any of you people. As is is fair enough, but you can't go screwing over somebody. If you ask, "are there any cracks" and you say no, then there are some, that's misrepresentation. You can say as is, but a crack makes a 41$ part unusable, and that's not fair. If it were a large scratch, or something similarly minor, then you better take a look before you buy it.

I'm sorry, but you can't just sell something "as is" through a couple of crappy pictures. If I pick it up, turn it over, inspect it, and decide that it's ok, then later i found that it's not what I thought it was, that's my bad.

But that crack makes a $41 part useless, and you can't see the crack in the pics.

splat

Nam I am
AN update !

just got back from my LBS with a Nice brand Spanking New set of Chain stays.

Should I email the First Buyer and Tell him ? :devil: Tell him if he had not been a dink he could have had a Set of New ones ?

I wonder now how much it will go for on eBay sincethe chainstays are now new

Sandwhich said:
But that crack makes a $41 part useless, and you can't see the crack in the pics.
actually with that crack made it worth more !

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
splat said:
Should I email the First Buyer and Tell him ? :devil: Tell him if he had not been a dink he could have had a Set of New ones ?
I sure would! And offer him a screwover price on the new ones before you relist 'em.

(YeeHaw, 400 posts -- running with the big dogs now, baby).