Quantcast

Dean Optics Trooper MTB Goggle - Sneak Peek!

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Some of you guys i'm sure have already seen these on a few of my riders, in my photos/website or just at the local events i go to. Anyway, i still haven't made the "official" launch for Dean Optics. There were so many delays, i now want to make sure i have just about everything in line before i make the official launch. Still, with all of your help, support and input, i wanted to give you all a sneak peak at the goggle line. I'm working on some additional colors, different straps, as well as a softgoods & sunglass line. This is just a trial run, so i wanted to keep things simple at first, then blow up once i see what kind of interest is out there!

I'm really pumped on the goggles. Everyone that's tried them have really dug them, so that stokes me out even more! They've got all the standard features - anti-fog/scratch lense, triple layer foam, silicone ribbing on the straps, intake vent in the frame to help with air circulation, etc...

MSRP will be approx $45 USD

I'm working on the website right now (www.deanoptics.com), so please bear with me as I update & make adjustments. I'll hopefully have my online store up & running shortly (when i make my official launch) and in a few stores shortly after.

Thanks again for all of your help & support! I'm really looking forward towards this & i can see a bright future ahead!

Cheers,

Dylan

Black

Blue

Red

White

Front

Rear

Side

Last edited:

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
will these be impact rated? ansi z87.1 or similar? i think an impact rating is a worthwhile addition to all goggles and eyewear. this is something i look for when buying

akern2

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Any thoughts on stores that will be supporting them? I've been looking for a goggle for a while now, and these seem perfect.

I'm really digging the white ones. Muy Bueno.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
thanks guys.. glad you're diggin them. honestly not sure who exactly will be a dealer yet... there have been a few shops from guys i know that are down to carry them... but until they get them in stock, i don't want to say that they are, ya know? Hopefully i'll get some descent interest throughout the states (& overseas! :D)

yes there will be other lens colors available. right now i'm stocking clear & clear mirror. i'm going to check out some other sources, but right now my source overseas won't have blue's in until later this year (Fall?) & for the most part (from my experience)most MTBers will use clear lenses 90% of the time, then then rest is a mix between a tint for sunny days (clear mirror/smoke), and blue. yes there are people who use other colors, but for the moment, i'm not going to stock a huge line of lenses until i start making some $$ :D

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Just wondering...What the avalability on lenses-tearoffs going to be like????
Nice work tho,different looking without being too flashy/gawdy looking

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Wow, that's how we are? :disgust1: Rough dude, rough. I'll take some Blue ones with my helmet please. I'm pretty sure you're the one laggin on getting me the info...snap to it!!!
For any interested, The Hub in Roseville will be a Dean Optics dealer...if we ever get the info on how to become one, that is.:busted:

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Wow, that's how we are? :disgust1: Rough dude, rough. I'll take some Blue ones with my helmet please. I'm pretty sure you're the one laggin on getting me the info...snap to it!!!
For any interested, The Hub in Roseville will be a Dean Optics dealer...if we ever get the info on how to become one, that is.:busted:
this wasn't the info i was talkin about! :D you already saw the goggs anyway!:cheers:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
Good looking goggles.

So what makes them better than the competition/makes them stand out? Or are they just another option?
they'll make you the envy of all other riders, you'll instantly be the fastest man on the mountain (including faster than Sam Hill!); all the girls will think your the hottest guy around; & you'll be a baller! ...does that work for ya?

Here's the deal... as many of you i'm sure know, i have worked for a few eyewear companies for several years now - the last being Utopia (don't get me started with that. During my time, i saw company after company ditch the sport of mountain biking because they "didn't see the sales" or many of the people there just simply didn't care about MTB. Granted, there are sports out there that have a higher value for sales (moto, snow, etc). but that doesn't mean that MTBers don't have a value.

Anyway, i went to several companies to present a MTB program to them, but was unfortunately shot down. No one had any interest. So after a bunch of thought & research, i figured if no one else would do it, i'd do it my damn self! I know there are several companies still involved with Mtn Biking (which is awesome), but for the most part, the majority of them have completely bailed. so that leaves room for a small brand to grow. I don't have the millions to spend as with many other companies. Hell, i don't even have thousands! I'm so in debt, it's silly! But I see an opportunity that has a great chance to succeed. I've got a ton of support & there seems to be great interest. I'm concentrating 100% on the sport of MTB (will potentially grow into other sports down the road) and i will never drop it due to lack of interest.

so, with that said, is there anythings special about these that's better than the competition? like alf said... buy 'em and you tell me. the main difference is the support & dedication to the sport of MTB & it's riders.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I got some addidas goggles that i'm not real happy with and from the sounds of it i'd be totally down to get some from you, but a few questions:

replaceable lenses?
impact rating?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
so, with that said, is there anythings special about these that's better than the competition? like alf said... buy 'em and you tell me. the main difference is the support & dedication to the sport of MTB & it's riders.
First of all, I just want to state that I really respect your contribution to the sport in many ways, and you always come across as a really cool guy on here, so don't take this as any personal dig or anything.

However - what support and dedication to MTB do we need from goggles? Moto ones work just fine and are available everywhere including through bike shops...? Where do you actually see an opportunity to improve on the MTB-specific things? It's not like we actually have different requirements to MX riders (well as far as what's already covered by MX goggles) for goggles is it? Other than fitting inside D2s maybe but the majority of goggles do anyway.

Just interested to know what you see as being the MTB-specific support that is currently lacking? Do you mean rider sponsorship or something? Because as an end-consumer, that doesn't really give ME any reason to buy the goggles over whatever alternatives, I don't really care what the pros are running or why.

Anyway the goggles look decent, though the frames look a bit plain and maybe could do with a small logo or something on them somewhere?

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Great looking goggles, Dylan. I'd pick up a pair for sure.

Going forward, one thing I've always wanted to see in goggles is an upper foam liner that's removable/washable. As far as I can tell, the reason goggles get more and more susceptible to fog as they get older is that upper foam liner gets clogged with dust, and the heat/moisture from the sweat on your face gets trapped and condensates inside. A bandaid solution I've used over the years is to cut small holes in the upper foam to allow this moisture to escape, but the obvious downside is that you're now more likely to get little pebbles and other debris inside there. If the foam could be removed and thoroughly washed (or just straight-up replaced), it seems like it would solve this whole problem.

Anyway, best of luck with your stuff Dylan. I've always thought eyewear would be a great business to be in, but it seems like you've got to spend boatloads on promotion.

--JP

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
First of all, I just want to state that I really respect your contribution to the sport in many ways, and you always come across as a really cool guy on here, so don't take this as any personal dig or anything.

However - what support and dedication to MTB do we need from goggles? Moto ones work just fine and are available everywhere including through bike shops...? Where do you actually see an opportunity to improve on the MTB-specific things? It's not like we actually have different requirements to MX riders (well as far as what's already covered by MX goggles) for goggles is it? Other than fitting inside D2s maybe but the majority of goggles do anyway.

Just interested to know what you see as being the MTB-specific support that is currently lacking? Do you mean rider sponsorship or something? Because as an end-consumer, that doesn't really give ME any reason to buy the goggles over whatever alternatives, I don't really care what the pros are running or why.

Anyway the goggles look decent, though the frames look a bit plain and maybe could do with a small logo or something on them somewhere?
no worries, i hear ya. i don't mean necessarily "support from a goggle company" per se, but companies in general.... but you're right, there's no reason to re-invent the wheel. sorry i'm being vage now... just woke up! :D

as for the frame itself, they'll eventually be logos, etc in place... but each & everything i add costs me money. this is just a trial run, so i've kept things more towards the simple side to begin

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California

Going forward, one thing I've always wanted to see in goggles is an upper foam liner that's removable/washable. As far as I can tell, the reason goggles get more and more susceptible to fog as they get older is that upper foam liner gets clogged with dust, and the heat/moisture from the sweat on your face gets trapped and condensates inside. A bandaid solution I've used over the years is to cut small holes in the upper foam to allow this moisture to escape, but the obvious downside is that you're now more likely to get little pebbles and other debris inside there. If the foam could be removed and thoroughly washed (or just straight-up replaced), it seems like it would solve this whole problem.

Anyway, best of luck with your stuff Dylan. I've always thought eyewear would be a great business to be in, but it seems like you've got to spend boatloads on promotion.

--JP
much appreciated. another trick is that you can cut some foam away & glue in a tampon. Removable foam is a great idea, but i'm probably far off from that now! :D but it's on the list to ideas i'll eventually get into! :D

as for "spending ****loads" in promotion... yah, one of my worries! ;)

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
they'll make you the envy of all other riders, you'll instantly be the fastest man on the mountain (including faster than Sam Hill!); all the girls will think your the hottest guy around; & you'll be a baller! ...does that work for ya?

Here's the deal... as many of you i'm sure know, i have worked for a few eyewear companies for several years now - the last being Utopia (don't get me started with that. During my time, i saw company after company ditch the sport of mountain biking because they "didn't see the sales" or many of the people there just simply didn't care about MTB. Granted, there are sports out there that have a higher value for sales (moto, snow, etc). but that doesn't mean that MTBers don't have a value.

Anyway, i went to several companies to present a MTB program to them, but was unfortunately shot down. No one had any interest. So after a bunch of thought & research, i figured if no one else would do it, i'd do it my damn self! I know there are several companies still involved with Mtn Biking (which is awesome), but for the most part, the majority of them have completely bailed. so that leaves room for a small brand to grow. I don't have the millions to spend as with many other companies. Hell, i don't even have thousands! I'm so in debt, it's silly! But I see an opportunity that has a great chance to succeed. I've got a ton of support & there seems to be great interest. I'm concentrating 100% on the sport of MTB (will potentially grow into other sports down the road) and i will never drop it due to lack of interest.

AMEN TO THAT!!

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts

--JP
Spy makes some with replaceable liners. I have a pair myself, a bit pricey but pretty damn nice googles.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
as for "spending ****loads" in promotion... yah, one of my worries! ;)
ridemonkey seems to work pretty good ha. How many people have custom colored boxxer lowers now a days?? the sticker business is making some serious $$$$ haha

good luck with your goggles! =]

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
[/QUOTE/]
not trying to derail the thread..But i think what JDD is trying to say and do makes a good point that might be lost on you..
IMO it should matter that a company supports your sport. Why give your hard earned money to a company (core Moto) that's not giving back. This can be done by being an IMBA member which helps keep trails open, or donates products to raffles, and pays for expo space at events which helps the promoter keep the event schedule full.
If you really think about how supporting non-endemic companies affects our industry negatively i think you would reconsider your position.
As long as your not compromising your safety by buying core MTB goods, I think you're being short-sighted if you don't support.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
not trying to derail the thread..But i think what JDD is trying to say and do makes a good point that might be lost on you..
IMO it should matter that a company supports your sport. Why give your hard earned money to a company (core Moto) that's not giving back. This can be done by being an IMBA member which helps keep trails open, or donates products to raffles, and pays for expo space at events which helps the promoter keep the event schedule full.
If you really think about how supporting non-endemic companies affects our industry negatively i think you would reconsider your position.
As long as your not compromising your safety by buying core MTB goods, I think you're being short-sighted if you don't support.
thanks man. totally forgot to reply further once i woke up! :D yeah, that's precisely what my thoughts were! great minds think alike! ;-)