Quantcast

Death of a Spot/RIP Ipswich Beginner & Intermediate Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2006
WB
The following is a post found on another MTB discussion board. I thought you all might find it interesting and heartbreaking...

Death of a Spot

Dirt jumping, from its inception has been and will always be a fringe sport. It involves higher risks, bigger rewards, and a special set of skills not possessed nor desired by the safety-obsessed masses.

Due to the entirely “outsider” nature of the sport, as you can well imagine, riding spots worthy of mention are few and far between, and those that do exist are a closely guarded secret, even among the almost fraternal underpinnings of the followers of the crested arch. Largely this is due to the fact that society in general, and mountain biking in particular, has become so litigious and so afraid of its own shadow that a movement is about to destroy spots as opposed to creating them, under the ever present auspice of “safety.”

This week it is my sad duty to report that the beginner and intermediate dirt jumping lines at Indian River/Ipswich Park in Chesapeake met with the blade of the ever looming front end loader.

I went out there today, took some pictures, talked to some of the local kids who were affected by the avarice of some, the sloth of others, and the complacence of the rest.

Quotes like “This is what we did every day after school. It kept us off the streets and out of trouble. Yea we got hurt, but that comes with the choices we made.”

Never was there a mention of law suits, even by the parents there, unless you count the number debating legal actions against the city and any and all organizations involved in the demise of such a spot.

What was once a neglected by the masses, tended by the few urban park in South East Virginia now looks more like a workshop for how not to use a bulldozer...

Where there was once a row of dirt jumps easy enough for even the most novice rider, there is now just scarred earth and distempered views of those involved in the downfall of a historical legend in the sport.

One of the main questions posed to me while I was there with my camera and wife was “well what are we supposed to do now?” With the mainstreaming of this once small sport by contests like the X-Games, the popularity in urban and suburban centers alike is on a rise much akin to snowboarding in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. Where once the skier dominated the market, much like the cross-country mountain biker did in the infant days of our sport, now the majority of bikes sold in the mountain market are dirt jumping and free ride bikes. Gone are the days of the pure economic superiority of the lyrical clad cross-country market, and coming are the days of baggy clothes, bleached hair, attitudes and youth culture.
So what then is to happen in places like South Eastern Virginia where the scene has been monopolized by the few to exclude the burgeoning masses needing to be free on their bikes? This was well summed up by one of the parents I spoke to today…

“While I understand that people fear this sort of riding, if those who would elsewhere would stand by and do nothing while spots like this are laid to waste, then come a time not too far away there will be a time where they won’t have their precious trials any more either.”

It would seem that if there were knowledge by fellow bikers of the impending arrival of the dozer at Ipswich that not alerting the rest of the community may produce a backlash that those who were once the majority are not prepared for.

But there is hope…

Yesterday marks when the bobcat and front end loaders laid to rubble ten years of a spot in Chesapeake. Today, there are already new lines and new landings being built. The youth of the area, the very ones for whom the beginner line was built, have taken it upon their own to reconstruct what was rendered obsolete.

Where there was destruction there is now construction.

“Yea, the city and those who disagree with sort of riding can raze this place to the ground as many times as they like. Long as I am living here I will be rebuilding. I love this sport; I love the friends I have because of it. This is our spot, and we will fight to keep it that way.”
One of the kids who thought I was with the city said this to me. Hostility is in the air; this was a major mistake on the parts of a great many I suspect. I hope this does not mark the future for the rest of the remaining “secret spots of Hampton” over this summer.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m122/IHB_Buddah/DSC_0023-1.jpg

The above is part of an article I am writing for Decline next month about the razing of dirt jumping spots in the south east. Once I get some documents and some facts more laid out it ought to be pretty interesting. Thought some might want to know that a place of history is now gone, and no one did anything really to prevent that.

Too bad, good place for those kids...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
all i have to say is that most of the people in that area knew that this was going to happen "if" the jumps where not maintained to a spec that the city set. i also know that the jumps where never maintained to it nor where they in the progress of meeting that spec. for the most part the city didn't have much problem if the dj's or the riders of the dj's (infact they have a bigger problem with paintballers). it the fact that they just cant' kickout or get rid of one illeagle (sp) activity.

i'm actually surprised that the city let them last that long after knowing their agenda.

not bashing the place by any means. i have ridden they many times myself. people just got to play the rules to keep places like that.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Pretty much, was the lack of tact of some people in the area, not all, but the minor few, that enabled and created an excuse and reason to shut it down........

Dec 3, 2006
WB
What do you mean sirknight6? Who rubbed somebody the wrong way and who could've been rubbed that had the power to tear down the trails other than the city?
That's an interesting take you have on this whole situation.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
can you expound on that cryptic remark sk?
i am truly saddened. i've not been there in a while but i learned to xc AND dj there. ipswich will always have a place in my dirt loving heart. it is a shame that the predominance of perspective in this area is strictly singletrack. the work at new quarter seemed to give rise to a new acceptance of the more fringe element of riding, but alas, the concept of personal responsibility is long gone and we now live in the ever growing specter of liability and litigiousness.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Exactly RTF!

Pretty much, was the lack of tact of some people in the area, not all, but the minor few, that enabled and created an excuse and reason to shut it down........
SK6 you can't come on here and make a remark like this and when questioned about it come back with a "huh." You appear to have some sort of inside knowledge and we want to know what you know.
Remember we're talking about a park facility that was advertised as such. Destroying an endorsed facility is a serious action and if done so without due regard to public access rights can be actionable. We want to know all aspects of the decision to destroy the jumps.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
this may have something to do with the parks actions!

Report Post #1 Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Tattooo
Turbo Monkey

Suggestions on dealing with redneck children?
I am again at a loss, this time due to little redneck wannabe emo kids on 50cc pos dirt bikes.

We have been digging a new DJ line at a local park, put in such a place that unless you are a true asshat you wouldn't try to ride a motorcycle down into them. However, the local redneck kids do fit the asshat definition.

over the weekend the little geniuses rode the line when it was wet, and as such destruction ensued. I have had enough of this ****.

The first instinct is to take the tamper and the pick axe to them and their bikes. However, this would rapidly escalate into murder, and that would be bad. Then we debated spike strips, which I am still considering.

Anyone have any idea as to the law of detaining them until the cops show up (i.e. SK6)? I was thinking I have a cable lock I could get into their front wheel faster then Al Unser Jr can knock up a high school girl. Once in place, they aren't going to be able to cut it. I was going to then call the cops, tell them the score, and then wait for the cops and the parents to show up.

We had this problem in Reno when I lived there, and it was dealt with in much more the "law of the land" sort of way. bikes were shot, asses were kicked, people got the message. However, I get the impression that since this is a public park and since this is the east coast, that maybe going all two gun tattooo on them would be ill advised.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
sir_knight and drt_jumper nailed it on this one. that said person also set that standard and didn't even build his jumps to it.

i will not say anymore on the subject.

Feb 18, 2007
I agree with Bigmc. Out of the 5670 posts you have made that is probably the most uninformed statement you have made SK6.But I think you and several others in this forum have an opinion about everything. Go ride your bike and leave the local Tidewater politics to the people who live and ride there.

Status
Not open for further replies.