Quantcast

Deaths up since Florida helmet law repealed

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/08/09/motorcycle.deaths.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Motorcycle fatalities have risen sharply in Florida since the state repealed its mandatory helmet law.

States that repeal such laws run the risk of increased deaths and mounting health care costs for injured bikers, according to two studies released Monday, one by the government, the other by the insurance industry.
Here is the kicker.
The cost of hospital care for motorcycle injuries grew from $21 million to $44 million in the 30 months after the law changed; the figures were adjusted for inflation.
"The results are remarkably similar that when you repeal a helmet law, you can expect an increase in fatalities and you can expect an increase in medical costs," said NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson.
Tom Lindsay, a spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association, noted that both studies failed to show the causes of crashes, such as the rider's behavior, road and weather conditions or the motorcycle itself.
WTF does it matter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Reactor said:
Evolution In action or Freeedom of Choice?
it's not freedom of choice when society bears the burden of increased health care costs.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Toshi said:
it's not freedom of choice when society bears the burden of increased health care costs.
Be careful with that line of thinking. As much as it seems seductive, it's a matter of time before bicycles are outlawed unless they are stationary. After all, you can get your exercise on a spinning bike, right? No need to risk yourself on the streets or in the forest...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Toshi said:

Interesting point. Not saying I agree or disagree, but what about sports injuries, teen pregnancies, drinking, and smoking? Don't these also have a cost (usually medical) to society?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Silver said:
Be careful with that line of thinking. As much as it seems seductive, it's a matter of time before bicycles are outlawed unless they are stationary. After all, you can get your exercise on a spinning bike, right? No need to risk yourself on the streets or in the forest...
There is a difference between banning an activity and requiring what has proven to be safe, cheap and effective protection. From my days riding a motorcycles it was my observation that people who chose to ride without helmets would also be more likely to have a few beers befor riding and take other stupid risks on the bike. I say helmetless motorcycling should just require a different license and let the insurance industry sort the rest out.

Edit: A helmetless license should just inlude a checkbox type option by the operator and not require any additional tests or fees, like the organ donor box. The helmetless rider will likely be a donor too.

I would happily pay higher insurance premiums because I participate in more dangerous than average activities as long as fat people, smokers and heavy drinkers have to pay for their high risk hobbies.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The leading cause of death on a motorcycle: Head injury

The leading cause of death in a car: Head injury

Should all drivers have to wear helmets?
That would bring down health care costs, no?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stinkyboy said:
The leading cause of death on a motorcycle: Head injury

The leading cause of death in a car: Head injury

Should all drivers have to wear helmets?
That would bring down health care costs, no?
What is the correlation between auto head injuries and seat belt use. I'd guess the head injuries go along with not wearing a seat belt. If people are truly interested in safer cars they would just toss in 5 point harnesses.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Westy said:
I would happily pay higher insurance premiums because I participate in more dangerous than average activities as long as fat people, smokers and heavy drinkers have to pay for their high risk hobbies.
going to Strip Clubs is a high risk hobby?

oops wrong thread :eek:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Westy said:
What is the correlation between auto head injuries and seat belt use. I'd guess the head injuries go along with not wearing a seat belt. If people are truly interested in safer cars they would just toss in 5 point harnesses.
I didn't mention seat belts.

Toshi mention health care costs, and they would go down if drivers were FORCED to wear helmets like motorcyclists are in some states. Why not?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stinkyboy said:
I didn't mention seat belts.

Toshi mention health care costs, and they would go down if drivers were FORCED to wear helmets like motorcyclists are in some states. Why not?

I know you didn't mention seatbelts. My question was if head injuries are the most common cause of death in autos what is the correlation between head injuries and seat belt use? I would guess that people who do not wear seatbelts have a much much higher rate of head injuries. Seems silly to mandate helmets for cars if the existing equipment inside them solved the problem.

I find it very ironic discussing head injuries with Stinkyboy. :p

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i agree with riders having to either where helmets or be targeted/tracked if they do not. however, i think the insurance companies are a bunch of greedy bastards that are ALWAYS going to cry wolf with high costs so i am hestitant to blanketly accept...costs are up, costs are up.

i hope thos m'frs have their own special place in hell. insurance companies suck plain and simple

edit...you can't forget the lawyers that are part of this equation...they suck too

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Westy said:
I find it very ironic discussing head injuries with Stinkyboy. :p
Ha!

My point is that if motorcyclists are forced to wear helmets, then drivers should too.

And fat people should have to wear muzzles, thus reducing heart disease.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In this case we have to avoid looking at extremes and look at the large grey area in between. Riding a motorcycle, a vehicle which travels at the same speeds as a car without a helmet is clearly far more dangerous than driving a car without a helmet. No seatbelt, no airbags, no SIPS, no roll cage. It's a totally different proposition, on top of the fact that bikes are smaller and lighter than most cars so inherently more likely to come off worse in a crash.

I agree that if you ride without a helmet you should have to pay some sort of extra insurance to compensate the saner people who recognise that the human skull is not evolved to impact tarmac at 70mph and survive intact.

I also agree that smokers should have to pay higher health insurance rates too, but I think they do already eh? However, it apparantly isn't enough as isn't smoking related diseases the highest single cost to America? I seem to remeber reading that somewhere.

I don't smoke but I have ridden motorbikes in the past as a commuter in and out of London every day for 2 years. Riding without a helmet, or gloves and a decent jacket and pants would be simply retarded.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
what i find exceedingly amusing is the 'window dressing' you often see on the back of crotch rockets, eg. girlies, wearing next to nothing and i think to myself they have NO clue what a sever case of road rash is obviously. i guess they don't want to stay pretty for long.

concerning the want for smokers to pay more, if you are going to pursue that route then you'd best consider obesity, and drinking, and i KNOW this one is gonna spin you up chang, but how about homosexuals...i can't think of anymore high risk group...you know that little thing called AIDS...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
automobiles are much safer than motorcycles so the comparison is asinine.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm

the above page said:
license
1998 Motorcycle Facts:
2,284 motorcyclists died and approximately 49,000 were injured in highway crashes in the United States.
Per mile traveled in 1998, a motorcyclist is approximately 16 times more likely to die in a crash than an automobile occupant. And 3x (times) as likely to be injured.
Head injury is a leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.
In 1998, 46% of fatally injured motorcycle drivers were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of a fatality by 29% in a crash.
In 1998, 41% of all motorcycle drivers involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
Nearly one out of five motorcycle drivers (18%) involved in fatal crashes in 1998 was operating with an invalid license at the time of the collision.
Motorcycle drivers involved in fatal crashes in 1998 had higher intoxication rates than any other type of motor vehicle driver at 31%.
In 1998, 500 motorcyclists lives were saved due to helmet usage; 307 could have been saved.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Yes, they're safer, that's not in question, but there would be fewer deaths (lower insurance premiums) if drivers wore helmets!

The same argument for cyclist...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stinkyboy said:
Yes, they're safer, that's not in question, but there would be fewer deaths (lower insurance premiums) if drivers wore helmets!

The same argument for cyclist...
It would be much safer if everyone was locked up in padded little rooms. I am actually surprised they put a computer in yours. :devil:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
what i find exceedingly amusing is the 'window dressing' you often see on the back of crotch rockets, eg. girlies, wearing next to nothing and i think to myself they have NO clue what a sever case of road rash is obviously. i guess they don't want to stay pretty for long.

concerning the want for smokers to pay more, if you are going to pursue that route then you'd best consider obesity, and drinking, and i KNOW this one is gonna spin you up chang, but how about homosexuals...i can't think of anymore high risk group...you know that little thing called AIDS...
You really need to check your stats before making dumb assumptions like that...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
such as?

so you are telling me that alcoholism, obesity, and gay sex aren't high risk behaviors? anything to the contrary is delusional beyond comprehension
No, I meant you should check the incidence of Aids in different socio-economic groups before you assume the incidence of AIDS is highest amongst Gays.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Men having sex with Men is actually the highest risk group for AIDS transmission - 57% of current (living) victims are Men who've had sex with Men, (note: Female homosexuality is far lower) but:

Ever since the start of the epidemic in the USA, it has particularly affected racial and ethnic minorities. The demography of the epidemic has changed considerably over the last decade - from being previously an affliction of gay males, HIV has changed course, and, while gay men remain a high-risk group in America, it is now affecting disproportionate numbers of African Americans, especially women.

Indeed, racial minority groups now represent almost three quarters of new AIDS cases. In 2003, African Americans accounted for 50% of all AIDS cases diagnosed during the year, even though they accounted for only 12% of the population. Among African American women, the figures are even more alarming - they represent up to 72% of all new HIV cases in American women. These high HIV figures suggest that in years to come, AIDS figures will be made up largely of African Americans.
So you want to make being a African American a high risk group too?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i was just addresing the pandoras box that you want to open by singling out smokers for higher premiums being the fair minded libby that you are surely you wouldnt want to just SINGLE out one group now would you?

one might construe that as discrimination and we all know that is wrong.

btw how about citing your source, and nice slight of hand trying to bait me into making this racial :rolleyes:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
i was just addresing the pandoras box that you want to open by singling out smokers for higher premiums being the fair minded libby that you are surely you wouldnt want to just SINGLE out one group now would you?

one might construe that as discrimination and we all know that is wrong.

btw how about citing your source, and nice slight of hand trying to bait me into making this racial :rolleyes:
Uh, I think it was http://www.avert.org/, I've closed the window now.

Actually I'm not so liberal that I wouldn't target one group if the situation warranted it, but I'd always try to keep a level playing field whilst practical. Secondly one always needs to look at the causes of a situation rather than just responding to the symptoms, something most republicans these days seem blatently unable to do.

I am very interested in why you have such a problem with Gays, for example.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i'd have no problem at all if their mindset wasn't if you don't accept me you're wrong plain and simple. i thought one of the tennants of the lefties and liberalism was acceptance and tolerance. what it really is, either you like our position or your a biggot. its the militant attitude that bothers me, and don't tell me that i'm millitant because i think that. don't tell me i need to accept them like they're a subset of the population (left handed people i belive you once said)

that being case, do you deny that the other behaviors are risky? should they not also be the recipient of higher premiums? why would you single out JUST smokers?

and why are you so supportive of them (gays)?

btw im not a republican im libertarian/constitutional party (i like aspects of both perspectives)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
i'd have no problem at all if their mindset wasn't if you don't accept me you're wrong plain and simple. i thought one of the tennants of the lefties and liberalism was acceptance and tolerance. what it really is, either you like our position or your a biggot. its the militant attitude that bothers me, and don't tell me that i'm millitant because i think that. don't tell me i need to accept them like they're a subset of the population (left handed people i belive you once said)

why are you so supportive of them?
Because, except for their sexuality, they're completely normal people, and they deserve to be treated exactly like anyone else?

Homosexuals only want to be treated like everyone else. People might consider you a biggot because you are so focused on these people's sexuality that you completely fail to to see them as individuals. Your posts so far smack of intollerance which you say is a result of their 'accept me or you're wrong' stance.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Gay person for a second. You are gay, you've always been gay ever since you understood your sexuality, and you're are never going to change. Aside from that you are utterly identical to every other member of society. You need to eat, have a job, sleep, drive a car, you want to be able to go out and have fun at the weekend, ride a bike, whatever.

What does it feel like to know there are people who hate you and want to stop your right to have recognition of your relationships, to get the same financial treatment, to go to the same places, drink the same drinks as the rest of the population, simply because of your sexuality?

Can you see the paralells with the situation faced by Blacks not so long ago and women before that? People are just people, no group is 'better' or more deserving than any other. Everyone deserves the same opportunities in life.

When you look at it like this it's not hard to see why Gay people get very frustrated with the attitudes of people who aren't gay, and who have no intention of interacting with gays, telling them what they can and cannot do.

As for:

don't tell me i need to accept them like they're a subset of the population (left handed people i belive you once said)
Dude, They ARE a subset of the population. What do you think they are?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i will not try to see parallels to blacks.

there are no 'gay' fountains and 'straight' fountains etc,

i dont hate them, i just don't want it forced down my throat (no pun intended)

i do however have a problem with gay marriage because of the precedent it will set. i.e. we should be able to marry because we love each other, well what about the polygamyst that loves ALL of his wives, or the brother and sister in wv that love each other.

financical arrangements eg. benefits...well if it is simply defined as just two people living together 2 men, 2 women, what about when just 2 people live togther like boyfriend and girlfriend ...shouldn't they get benefits too?

you really want to open up a pandoras box with this one.

i never said they shouldn't be able to live together, be gainfully employed, eat, drink be merry etc

and since you think they should be treated like everyone else why should they get SPECIAL treatment with regards to prosecution of violence committed against them

if one person beats the **** of of another person its assualt plain and simple.

the concept of hate crime is just one step away from thought crime.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ridetoofast said:
and since you think they should be treated like everyone else why should they get SPECIAL treatment with regards to prosecution of violence committed against them

if one person beats the **** of of another person its assualt plain and simple.

I don't like hate crime laws myself, but here's something to ponder:

If "The faggot made a pass at me so we beat him with a baseball bat!" defence didn't work, there would be no need for it. Unfortunately, in large parts of the country, it isn't hard to find 12 people who believe that the fag or the nigger or the kike or the "insert slur here" deserved it somehow.

Anyways, back to having homosexuality forced on you: You've had a cock forcibly put down your throat?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i knew someone was going to twist those words...

thats like the question, "when did you stop beating your wife"

there just isnt a good answer

i know its a tough situation that people actively choose to be violent against 'x' subset of population but there are already sufficient laws on the books, there aren't a need for anymore. the judges just need to be harsh in general for aggravated assault.

drb...sorry for the thread derailment

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah, but what about gay motorcyclists who ride without helmets? I think you're all missing the real point here.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ridetoofast said:
i will not try to see parallels to blacks.

there are no 'gay' fountains and 'straight' fountains etc,
There are bars where Gays would be very unwelcome, and partly as a consequence there are bars which are predominantly for Gays. There are many paralells, especially when it comes to individual rights.

i dont hate them, i just don't want it forced down my throat (no pun intended)
Just who is forcing it down your throat? What does that even mean? Have you been made to commit a homosexual act?

i do however have a problem with gay marriage because of the precedent it will set. i.e. we should be able to marry because we love each other, well what about the polygamyst that loves ALL of his wives, or the brother and sister in wv that love each other.
Polygamy is marrying multiple people. If the wives are all genuinly consenting, what is the problem with this? As for the Brother and Sister, there are sensible genetic reasons why they should not procreate. If two dudes or two gals want to marry, how is this hurting you? What effect does it have on your life?

financical arrangements eg. benefits...well if it is simply defined as just two people living together 2 men, 2 women, what about when just 2 people live togther like boyfriend and girlfriend ...shouldn't they get benefits too?
It's not defined like that, though. There are several benefits both in terms of social security and tax which are only availible to married couples. Who are you to say the relationship between two grown men is worth less than that of a male and female? Why should one be favoured over the other? If I am an old professional male, and I'm dying, and I want to give my money to my lover, if it's a woman I can, and if it's a guy I can't.

As for a boyfriend and girlfriend, society has come up with this more informal relationship status for a reason. Relationships do have different levels of seriousness. For a man and a woman, the most serious relationships culminate in marriage. It's a social recognition of a very serious bond. Currently, most Gay people are prevented from cementing their relationship in this way. It's like society is saying 'we don't recognise that you can love each other as much as hetrosexuals'. Is that fair?
you really want to open up a pandoras box with this one.
i never said they shouldn't be able to live together, be gainfully employed, eat, drink be merry etc
But you would deny them certain facets of normal life, such as marriage and tax breaks, and family allowance. Which is it?
Because of the motive for the violence. If they are beaten up because they called someone a c**t in a bar, it's still assult, not a hate crime. If they are beaten up because they are gay, how is that any different from beating someone up because of their skin colour or race? If people didn't hate people for being different, these laws would not be necassary. The concept of a hate crime is society's way of saying that violence based on prejudice is especially unacceptable. And so it should be.
Except for the minor detail that if you commit a crime in your thoughts, people don't end up with broken bones or dead. Can you see the subtle difference?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Threads in PD seem to go that way often.

I personally think riding a motorcycle without a helmet is dumb. However I'm not yet at the point where I'm willing to impose my helmet values on the rest of the world. As far as I can see the person it hurts the most is the motorcycle rider, who get's killed, and his/her family. If the states are hurting for money maybe they can create a special "helmet less" motorcycle registration, to recoup the losses. Or require "helmetless" insurance, which would carry a higher premium. Not that I really think it's necessary with the Billions they spend on Highway developement each year. Florida's costs went up about .7 million a month, after the helmet law terminated.

You can tell people not to eat too much, not to smoke, and not to ride without a helmet. At some point they have to make a choice. That's part of freedom.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Reactor said:
Threads in PD seem to go that way often.

.....Florida's costs went up about .7 million a month, after the helmet law terminated.
Uh... that's $700,000 a month - not exactly chump change.

How about the laws that say kids under 18 have to wear bike helmets? It's probably the reason I don't see any kids riding anymore, and why most of the LBS' I know around here are out of business.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
rooftest said:
Uh... that's $700,000 a month - not exactly chump change.

How about the laws that say kids under 18 have to wear bike helmets? It's probably the reason I don't see any kids riding anymore, and why most of the LBS' I know around here are out of business.
Different story. Kids didn't stop riding because of helmets. They stopped riding because of video games and parents who are scared of their child leaving the front yard and getting abducted. (Which the stats don't bear out...but parents worry about it anyways.)

When I was 12 years old, I had to ride all over the place. A decade later, when my brother was the same age, mom drove him everywhere he wanted to go. Anecdotal, I know.