Quantcast

Decent (but not too expensive) burr grinder recommendations?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I had a Capresso that worked pretty well for just under two years.

Then i got a divorce and tossed just about everything. Couldn't say if it would last longer than that.

But it was only about $50.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Don't get the $50 Krupps. It sucks donkey choade. You have to stand right over it & shake it so the beans feed properly, it sounds like an F-14 & makes a frikkin' mess.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
TN said:
Don't get the $50 Krupps. It sucks donkey choade. You have to stand right over it & shake it so the beans feed properly, it sounds like an F-14 & makes a frikkin' mess.
yeah, i think i had one of those for a few weeks some years ago.

used to 'pack up' - then less and less coffee would drop out...

tossed long ago.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
I have a $40 mill that spit out more fine coffee dust than anything. Wish I had better advice, but I'm looking for something new, too.

Of the few reviews I've read of different grinders they all focus on a consistent fine grind for espresso. Well, I want a consistent coarse grind for a french press and haven't found much useful info.

Sorry for the derailment...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
ss, my wife is into coffee in a big way.. shes had all manner of crap and last year we ponied up and bought her this grinder... not cheap, but ya get what ya pay for... i think we paid about 100 bucks... she says that the grinds fall down, rather than shooting out sideways... apparently the sideways models make static elec and that causes the grinds to stick together and shoot out everywhere... this one makes little or no mess... you can also put the espresso deal right under it and not use the hopper...

she says it s the ducks nuts... awesome... swiss made components and built in the USA...

http://www.koobiescoffee.com/productDetails.do;jsessionid=CC32D92FAD59DC264DD806F2307617E2?productID=62&categoryID=34

this is all news to me... i don t drink coffee, but she is totally wrapped with hers... and shes had the krupps stuff as well...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have a manual grinder from the 1920s or there abouts, works awsome. It was like $35 from an antique shop, just took it apart to give it a good cleaning and it has been going strong ever since. I have a smaller one for pepper that also works great.