Quantcast

Decent fem shorts?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My GF is looking for some shorts (My old ones aren't the best :rofl: ), and she can't find any help from emptybeer reviews, so I figured I'd ask here for her. Her budget is under 50$, and she doesn't want her muff turned into ground meat...I understand shorts are an individual choice, but are there any models to steer completely clear of? If if helps, she's about 5'5 and wears a size 5...beginner. :)

Thanks!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I was going to say the same thing. Finding a good pair of shorts that FIT well - that's hard enough. Under $50? Ha.

MAYBE you can find something on sale, but in my experience, shorts in that price range might cost you less up front, but end up being a complete waste of whatever money you spent on them. (Lycra shorts too - I bought some cheap ones from Performance years ago - they fell apart after maybe 2 washings. Total waste of money. The $85 Sugoi Technifine lycra shorts I bought later - still nearly perfect after years of use.)

Shorts are one of the rare things that if necessary, I'll buy at full price, whatever that may be, when I can find a pair that really fit well and are high quality. Sure, I keep my eyes open for deals, but when I actually NEED another pair, I splurge and don't regret it.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I got some helpful info on types of shorts and short sales just by following that Baggies thread and being on Mud Hunnies in general. Of course that doesn't apply to the company I bought from...:dead:

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO

I got these from Blueskycycling and absolutely love them. They are originally $80 shorts selling for $28. I'm a 5'4" and a size 6 and bought the 32's and they fit perfect. http://www.blueskycycling.com/product1730_28_-04-Troy-Lee-Designs-Sprint-Short.htm

If she's looking for XC spandex shorts, I always go with Pearl Izumi. They are pricey but fit really really good. Look for sales at your LBS or online. Sometimes you can find really good deals on closeouts for them.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Blueskycycling has poor customer service so buyer beware if you have to return a defective product to them. They will charge you shipping for replacement. Now I have to take my shorts to the seamstress and get the stitching repaired because I refuse to keep paying more $$ on these shorts...

I also never received any UPS tracking number from them - the package just showed up one day.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
She's wanting lycra...she rides road and XC. She's going down to Contender tomorrow (really women's friendly shop) to check out some stuff. Altagirl, isn't there a Pearl Izumi outlet store up in PC?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I was in the same boat as you, a bit ago, trying to find good shorts for the girl.

Check out http://www.teamestrogen.com/ Lots of shorts on sale to fit her buget.

A huge selection, all for the ladies. My girl prefers the 8 panel Canari stuff, it fits her nicely.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I skimped and skimped on bike shorts and now have three pair that never get worn because they are cheap and uncomfortable. Then I went out and bought a pair of pearl izumi, i don't even know which kind and i love them. Wear them every time i ride. 80-100 bucks doesn't seem like so much for a pair of shorts that i've been wearing for 3 years.