Quantcast

"decent" rims with ERD close to DT 5.1s?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well, the 5.1 that Iron horse thought worthy of speccing on a DH bike lasted a whole, 5 minutes on it's first proper DH track.

seeing as the wheel's had practically no riding time and the spokes are all fine it'd be nice to just lace up another rim re-using them but the 5.1s look to have a very low profile, does anyone know of a rim that I could replace it with using the same spokes?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Ha... good ol' DT rims. The 6.1's that were originally specced to my Industry 9 wheels hit the trash can a month and a half after purchasing them. I've since replaced them with 823's. I don't know about the 5.1's or what hub's and spokes you are running, but I was able to keep the same Industry 9 spokes with the 6.1's and 823's.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure 6.1s have a taller profile.

it's just the OEM 150mm hub that comes on Sunday completes and coz of that I'm kinda hoping not to have to work out new spoke lengths ;)

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
721 is the best DH rim ever- has exactly the same ERD as an EX 5.1d. Can I ask what you were doing to kill the DT 5.1s? Mine are still going strong after a year on the rear of my bike, and 6 months on the front.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I agree with your opinion on 721s and was hoping it'd be a similar ERD, I have a new 721 and a used 5.1 and placing them alongside each other it's plain to see they don't have the same ERD. - might well be close enough to get away with it though. anyone know what the difference between the two actually is?

The 5.1 died while riding a Scottish national DH track during my first couple of practice runs, Just rolling the track as I hadn't sorted out lines yet. are you really light? or don't you ride much rocky stuff? or just incredibly lucky?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I didn't want to believe the "internet hype" surrounding how bad the dt rims are. I've been on Mavic 721's for the past three years and they are great aside from the occasional ding. I put some 5.1's on my enduro and I thought they were rad. Until, I cased a jump (once) and the rim absolutely died. My 721's have been through similiar situations without such a bad outcome.
You know the bright side to this story? I didn't get a flat! YEAH!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I agree with your opinion on 721s and was hoping it'd be a similar ERD, I have a new 721 and a used 5.1 and placing them alongside each other it's plain to see they don't have the same ERD. - might well be close enough to get away with it though. anyone know what the difference between the two actually is?

The 5.1 died while riding a Scottish national DH track during my first couple of practice runs, Just rolling the track as I hadn't sorted out lines yet. are you really light? or don't you ride much rocky stuff? or just incredibly lucky?
When building them up, they always take the same length spokes (for my DT hubs, 260mm all round). Even cross lacing one from another is easy.

I'm not light (~120kg), and most of the tracks here are quite rocky (Sydney). A few factors that help me is the higher pressures that I run (at the moment its 35 front and 40 rear)- if i go too low I roll the tyre off the rim rather than flatting.

To put it into perspective, I killed a 721 at a national round last year when it was only two months old- the bare minimum I've had a 5.1 for was 6 months until I obliterated the front wheel. Prior to running the 721s, I had DT 6.1s on my 06 Sunday WC, and I didn't find them any worse than Mavic 729s.

That said, I still think 721s are the best rims on the market, and my new wheelset (721 on Pro 2s) is basically ideal for what i want.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok.

thanks, loooks like I'll just lace the 721 up then.

I thought I ran quite high pressures at 27 front/30 rear. What tyres are you rolling off 5.1s? I find it hard enough removing Minions with tyre levers.