Quantcast

DECLINE mag vs. DIRT mtb uk

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i know it aint about "versus" but Dirt (dirtmag.co.uk) is the better mag right now. Decline, you need to step it up! hire some people who write. pretty pictures are great, but they aint enough. more dj/mtbmx please.

dig into the details to make the mag useful. for example: the last bike check on the superco had a picture but said basically nothing. didn't even talk about the super short chainstays. if a mag write-up is worth printing, it's gotta take it a step beyond what we've already figured out online.

IDEAS:
- cover all the 4x races across the country
- dig in to all the micro frame companies and re-print exact specs
- talk to welders/frame makers to see where they learned the art and what they have to say about high level frame building
- do an in-depth on suspension fork internals. get geeky. talk about different strength springs, air versus spring (or both), interview guys who custom lower them, like brad, nemesis project.
- do some kind of "mapping of a DJ spot" where you go to some of the best DJ spots and figure out exactly how doubles are spaced out with some measurements.
- do an article about what colleges are close to amazing riding spots--i'm past that age, but i know there's a ton of young dudes who are figuring out their future.... school + riding....

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
i agree with some of those ideas. I like the 'DJ area blueprints' and some more techy stuff rather than all the AM bike reviews...

I do like the pictures though...

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
UK magazines are always more interesting than the US ones. This holds true for a vast range of subjects apart from cycling.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
DIRT u.K. FTW.. That and ride U.K. are the only mags I read any longer , could have something to do with my lifetime subcription Mark noble hooked me up with years ago !!!!
In my office I have every issue of Dirt and Ride U.k. for the past 10+ years !!