DEE-MAX or Hadleys

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ok...:help: i need new wheels....

which should i get:

a pair of DEE-MAX wheels (yellow of course) :drool:

or

a custom built hadley hubs to mavic rims....

im riding a VP-Free and both choices are arround the same price...

discuss....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Hadleys in 729 or 823 rims. The Hadley hubs are better than the Deemaxx hubs. I ran the Deemaxx and the rear hub engagement was slow.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hadley everytime, Ive owned both.
Hadley hubs are much much better, I destroyed my rear deemax somehow(older model-non tubeless)broke the axle and a bearing, and the engagement is slooooooooow

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Cant go chris king, 12mm in the back with 150mm spacing....

the boat seems to be leaning toward Hadley Golds on mavic 729's (have a pair)

whats the "performance" difference betwen regular black hadleys and the "gold ones"..?

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
never tought of the Hadley gold hub / deemax rim combo.....

i think we might have a winner.......
unless someone has something else to add....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
schweino1 said:
never tought of the Hadley gold hub / deemax rim combo.....

i think we might have a winner.......
unless someone has something else to add....

I ran Chris King with new 02 Deemaxx rims. Bull Crew runs them now. It was a sweeeet wheelset.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im having a new wheelset build right now. I got th gold 36h Hadleys (108pt and 20mm) and 729s. I like wider rims. The 823s are just a little too narrow for me.

I like to run 2.3s or 2.5s on wide rims.

I have heard the 729s seem to hold up a little better than the 823s. Is this true? The 823 is only 70 g lighter than the 729, too.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well any Hope/Hadley/King/DT Swiss FR are going to be about the best hubs out there you can get. Everything but the King's I believe you can get in 150mm+ widths and are convertable between QR and 12mm TA. So you're wheelset will go further if you switch bikes and such. But all are great hubs, I say them in the order that I'd probably pick them up at mainly because of price. Hope's are very nice for the $$$ but if money isn't a concern just get the Hadley's. That's all there is to it for hubs!

Get a good wheelbuilder to build up Hadley's on EX729's (newer D321 rims) with whatever spokes you want and such and go from there. You've got a great hubset, hopefully a good wheelbuilder, and solid rims. Not much more you can ask for. They'd last a while too depending on your riding style and such.

I have nothing against Deemax wheels except for their price. You have some trick options though (can run 10mm axle or 20mm front, and rear you can do QR or through axle, OR saint axle) so you have some choices. They use stright pull spokes instead of normal spokes which are suspose to help strength wise. I've always liked the colors and such but for that $500-600 price range you can get a set of Hadley's built up. That's really the bottom line. King's will cost the most by far.........and I dunno if it's really worth it between King and Hadley.

So my vote is whatever rims you want, but go with Hadley hubs. You can get pretty much any configuration from them and Hadley has great customer service and support for their products.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Gex said:
I just built a set of 36 hole deemax's (02) on black hadleys... Wheelset is hot

Did you order the Deemax rims from Mavic? When I last checked, they still had the 2002 yellow Deemaxx rims left. That was about 6 months ago.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Bought the rims new off a buddy... They were the last set on go-ride if i remember correctly

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Ok, since i cant find DeeMax rims im going with the 729 (im running the same rims right now and they can really take a lot of crap)

but im left with another problem.... whos gonna buid them...
im in san diego, the only wheel builder i know are beyondbikes guys...

anybody know any other builders....?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Kanter said:
I have heard the 729s seem to hold up a little better than the 823s. Is this true? The 823 is only 70 g lighter than the 729, too.
It depends on the wheelbuild and rider style. I have two pairs of the old 823's that are still going strong; one had been on three different bikes, one is on my DH bike. I did build them myself so I know they were done right.

Unless Mavic has changed the way the list weights on their website the new EX823 is slightly heavier than the EX729. The listed weight is 657grams but I am pretty sure it does NOT include the weight of the spoke grommets which weigh about 60 grams per rim.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
schweino1 said:
Cant go chris king, 12mm in the back with 150mm spacing....

the boat seems to be leaning toward Hadley Golds on mavic 729's (have a pair)

whats the "performance" difference betwen regular black hadleys and the "gold ones"..?
you can get chris king, brake therapy dose an upgrade to almost any spacing ive got a 12mmx150mm for my 223 my rear wheel is like 3 pounds when laced to a rhyno lite xl.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Hadleys on 721's.

I find a narrower rim gives a rounder profile to the tire, meaning you don't need to lean as much before the knobs grip.

I have also found that the 721 is stronger then the 729 as it a bit more of a box design. Problem is the 721 does not have double eyelets, and is know to crack around the eyelets after a while. But the 729 flat spots really easy, you can still ride it but it flat spots easier then the 721 IMO

Also, the 721 is almost 100grams lighter then 729 so its worth it IMO. Saving 100 grams from each wheel is equivalant to saving several kg on your bike.

In addition, i run an XC tube in the front tire, and a maxxis free ride tube in the rear, DH tubes are too heavy and not required if you are already running DH dual ply tires. I run 2.5 maxxis front minions front and rear in slow reazzy compound.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
what about going tubeless...?

the 823 (or 821's) from Mavic are tubeless right? so are the DEE-Max rims...

will it be a matter of choice? or theres a significant improvement by going tubeless???

discuss