Quantcast

Deep cups and SX trails?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If its anything like a Demo headtube, deep insertion headsets are utterly useless.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
preppie said:
Could you explain why ?
The cobra headtube on the Demo is internally 'relieved'. A deep cup headset would have the same contact area as a regular headset.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Zark said:
The cobra headtube on the Demo is internally 'relieved'. A deep cup headset would have the same contact area as a regular headset.

i think its actually internally butted and externally relieved

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dirty said:
i think its actually internally butted and externally relieved
I guess I just lost my honorary internet engineering degree:rofl:

"yeah, they like took metal off of it and stuff, you know":rofl:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
PepperJester said:
soo then is this a don't bother with it kinda situation?
Maybe, if the headset is internally butted like Demo's are.

Basically the Enduro's are beefed up enough at the headtube. Just run a quality headset and keep it adjusted.

Are you in Nova Scotia? I've got a couple friends from there.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
If your Sx has the same headtube as my Pro frame, the answer will be no, but for a different reason than already stated. On my frame, the headtube is only bored about 15mm deep. I know the Race Face Diabolus just fits, and that my Chris King Steelset won't. My plan is to have a buddy cut about 10mm off it on the lathe at the machine shop he works at. If you don't already own a Steelset, perhaps the Race Face unit would be a better choice. If the headtube is like the Demo 8/9s, I agree that you have 10mm of wasted material with the King, plus the difficulty of removing it. So again, mayby the Race Face is preferable.

One more consideration: since Kings use a relatively small diameter bearing, and their crown race is chamfered so as to be able to rotate within the bearing race, you don't have the same potential to cause the cup to shift in situations like major cased landings. Headsets with larger diameter bearings and crown races, like the old Race Face DH stainless, had more force exerted on the cup in such cases. My point is this: you can likely get along just great with a regular King, since all you should have to worry about is keeping it tight, not whether it will shift in a nasty situation. Keeping it tight will keep the steerer from knocking back and forth, which could cause ovalization. Hope this helps.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
fsa pig dh pro fits nicely as well.... 15mm was the measurement I got on my '06 sx trail as well.....

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Zark said:
Are you in Nova Scotia? I've got a couple friends from there.
yes Nova Scotia, just past kentville.

anywho.. my lbs is checkin with speczilized on the depth issue. I do have a diablos headset floating around that I could use, its nice but its no king.

I was pondering lathing down the steel set if its too tall as I do know how to run a lathe, Id rather not have to do that as its a bit of a waste but one may have to give it a go..

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, those headtubes are so damn beefy anyways you shouldn't even worry about it.

For $25 shipped you can get an FSA Sky Pilot at PricePoint. I'd seriously run that, or shell out the clams for a regular NoThreadSet. No use in going through the trouble to run a Steelset.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
indeed, well after some thinking, Im not going to bother with the king, will just use my Race face diablos and save the cash I would have spend on the king to get me a Ti coil for the DHX.