Quantcast

Deetraks vs Outlaws

skibum3789

Chimp
Aug 12, 2005
Massachusettes
I just picked up a morphine with a 66rc and I need to buy a set of wheels for it. I will be using the bike for DH and running a 9 speed setup. My question is simple, are the deetraks honestly worth the extra 100 bones over the outlaws. Keeping in mind that they will be run hard on a hardtail, so the rear especially needs to be bombproof. the other option is to build up say a 721 or 729, but that would be more $$$ and i hate having wheels built. Anyone ever have any troubles with the outlaws? I also want to run mich comp 2.5s, but i'm tempted to go 2.8 for a little extra cushin in the rear. Thanks,

Jeff

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I'd say outlaws, I've heard the deetracks have hub problems and my outlaws have been holding up fine and they've taken a beating. Also running a 2.8 michelin on them is fine, I run one in the front.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I've been using Deetraks on my hardtail, and they seemed to be pretty strong. The Azonic sound heavy, are they much heavier than Deetraks?

aoe

Chimp
Oct 21, 2001
outlaws are pretty heavy but they are bombproof as far as I can tell. I'm selling my set only because I don't have a bike with a 135 x12mm anymore. id say go outlaws

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I ran the outlaws on my hardtails for years - incredible wheels for the money.

I did trash the rear rim, but i am 6'1" and 200+lbs and it took me casing several items.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
outlaws are lighter than deetraks by ~100g though... They're probably just as strong, so you get lighter wheels and save $100, i dont see a problem with that. Only problem though is that azonic is somehting like 60 days out on outlaws cuz i just tried to get a set.

skibum3789

Chimp
Aug 12, 2005
Massachusettes
I'd say i'm going with outlaws with 2.8 comp 32s. now all i need is for someone to buy my v10 so i have enough to pay for wheels, derailer, shifter, cassette and chain. its a shame to just let this morphine sit here waiting for someone to buy my v10 before i can ride again, cause i dont want to ride my v10 and risk breaking anything, digging myself a deeper hole. thanks for the help, and while i'm at it sram or shimano for the above parts? always been a sram fan but i went through a derailer a season on my v10. it is a large 03, so the wheelbase left the back end open to rocks and trees around tricky corners, ripped the derailer right out of the hanger one time. Thanks again guys,

pCe.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
my gay bitch friend just got a pair of deetracks as back ups. spoiled ****er. but they're better than outlaws

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I was caught in the same dilemna after tacoing my singletracks.

I decided on a pair of Deetraks since I was able to get a great deal on em and I have no complaints so far . Solid as hell and hasnt come untrue after at least 8 hard rides. I havent had any issues with the freehub as of yet (knock of wood) and you cant beat Mavics MP3 program.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
yea, the outlaws are lighter that deemax wheels, so they are way lighter thatn deetraks. go for the outlaws, cheap and ive heard nothing but good reviews

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
The wheelset is somewhat the same (Alex rims, some taiwanese knock off hub), but the Performance Loco wheelset doesn't have the convertible rear hub like the Outlaw's do. I own both wheelsets, the Loco's have been absolutely amazing in the three years I have ridden them. They've been on four different bikes (Dh, dirt jumper, temp xc duty this past winter, and trail bike). Kept them true and the still spin amazingly smooth.

My outlaws, which I was running on the Mtn Cycle last season, were utter junk! The front was fine for the most part, but the rear hub has issues....had to true the rear after nearly every ride, bearings seized up in the hub, the pawls broke (SDH has the same issues with his), and the 12mm axle adapter allows a good bit of side-to-side play now....with only 5 or 6 outings last year on that wheelset. I've since replaced the wheelset and run the outlaws on my dirt jumping bike with the qr axle adapters. For as cheap as they were, they did the job fine I guess, but I was honestly expecting more given the history of the Loco's.....which are very strikingly similar, but not the same.

Oh, last note, the Loco's are 32 hole and the Outlaws are 36 hole. Not that it makes a difference, but it's another thing that sets them apart. If someone's figured out how to make the Loco rear hub interchangable with a 12mm axle without doing some seriously shady backyard engineering, I'd love to know about it!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
from what I remember from another thread a while back - Yes they are the same.
As are the Transition wheels, same exact thing as the Azonics/Loco's. I pulled one out of the box the other day and they're (all) identical.

Saying that, I use the Outlaws on several bikes - good deal for a prebuilt wheel.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
I'm 230lbs and I have been rocking the deetracks HARD for a year now on my Nomad.............and they are perfect, true hubs are in great shape. I love how you can set the rear hub loose or tight depending on your ride for the day (drops, freeride, XC)

I go through rims pretty quick and so far these are holding up really well. I wish they made the sticker in red or white, but other then that bitch of a complaint....no problems.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the thing about the outlaw weight is that it is in the hubs and not the rim like most wheels. they most likely will ride light than most other wheels in their class as the rim is only like 550-575 grams. also i will say that they are strong as i have had mine for like 3+ years now and i'm 250-260 lbs. also they are very low maintenance