Quantcast

Deity Vendetta Cranks

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I just received these this afternoon. These are an 83mm BB (for my 7point), but are also available in 68/73.

toby

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i really want some, so much lighter than the old ones....bummer, i still love my grey old style ones, but i'd love to hear how these new ones are.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I've been riding those cranks since thursday, their sweet!

The set-up on these cranks was the longest/biggest pain in building my whole bike...however, once their set-up, they become the stiffest, lightest, and strongest cranks I've ever used. Not to mention, Eric and Sadie were a huge help in getting things situated.

P.S. They're not external, they're internal BB's.

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
I've been riding those cranks since thursday, their sweet!

The set-up on these cranks was the longest/biggest pain in building my whole bike...however, once their set-up, they become the stiffest, lightest, and strongest cranks I've ever used. Not to mention, Eric and Sadie were a huge help in getting things situated.

P.S. They're not external, they're internal BB's.
they do look good.
but how do you know they're the strongest you've ever used
if you've only been riding them for five days? :brow:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
they do look good.
but how do you know they're the strongest you've ever used
if you've only been riding them for five days? :brow:
there's no play in them at all. The first crankset/bb I've ever had that didnt have even a little bit of side to side play in them. These things spin perfectly, and dont wobble. Perfect.

*IMO*

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well, I'm not saying I would sell a set of profiles or anything like that just to get these cranks, but if your in the process of building a bike, I would definatly consider these things.

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
there's no play in them at all. The first crankset/bb I've ever had that didnt have even a little bit of side to side play in them. These things spin perfectly, and dont wobble. Perfect.

*IMO*
haha sorry, i was being an advocate.
i'm glad they're working out well.
especially on that sick build of yours.
nothing like a new smooth riding bike.

so what were the complications that came up when installing?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha sorry, i was being an advocate.
i'm glad they're working out well.
especially on that sick build of yours.
nothing like a new smooth riding bike.

so what were the complications that came up when installing?
Its all good, someone has to do it.

The complications for me were me not having a "smooth" spindle, mine had an imperfection somewhere on one side of the spindle, and as a result, when I had to "slide" spacers on, they wouldnt fit...so I had to keep taking off the drive side crank arm and putting things on, then I tried to slide the spindle into the BB, and it didnt fit. We attacked it with a mallet, and the bearings just popped out. After talking with Eric though he helped me figure out how to make it work, and said he would purchase the spindle from me (give me a different one) for free since it was such an unusual problem (but he knew how much I wanted to ride, so we figured something out).

Not to mention you have to take the cranks on and off several times to get the spacing right and what not.

It just doesnt all "pop on" like other mountain bike cranks is all. Takes some time to set-up perfectly, but once done, its sweet.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I installed mine yesterday and I'm very happy with them. Easy and simple install. Tight, solid, and smooth. Very nice.

toby

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
mine were fairly simple enough to install. I like the easy step by step instructions with pics, even though I did confuse the drive side and non-drive side bearing spacers first try...my bad.

I used the 4mm bashguard spacer and a 2mm spacer on the drive side, and nothing on the non drive side...and it fits PERFECTLY on my 73mm bb.

the cranks are also uber slick, are insanely stiff, and light, to boot.

I did have to make a late night run to the shop to grab a pin tool for the crankbolt lockring thingies, but they were definately worth it. Bike is now finally nearing that 30lb mark...w00t!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
well, if they're anything like the older deity cranks that i have, they have spacers that allow you to dial in the chainline. i love the vendettas, so much lighter than the old ones, i'm pretty sure they'll hold up well too, eric knows his stuff.

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
These cranks certainly do look nice, and the specs sound good too. But I've never really been a fan of deity. hopefully the vendettas' are a departure from their (in my opinion) form-over-function-mentality. although all parts, especially cranks, have a certain failure rate, I've seen more diety (original) cranks crack than any other. but I will hold out hope that diety can bring me back into their camp. I'll see what the results are.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
These cranks certainly do look nice, and the specs sound good too. But I've never really been a fan of deity. hopefully the vendettas' are a departure from their (in my opinion) form-over-function-mentality. although all parts, especially cranks, have a certain failure rate, I've seen more diety (original) cranks crack than any other. but I will hold out hope that diety can bring me back into their camp. I'll see what the results are.
really? care to show any pictures? i have been destroying deity cranks for them since they first came to the market 5 years ago and have never had an arm or spindle go out on me. I think last time i checked there were only 2-3 broken arms in the world and they were all the old old models

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Not too many people hit bigger DJ trails than me and my crew on a daily basis. A couple of us are rockin Deity metal for a long time with no crank failures.

By the way, i have Vendetas on all my bikes now, and they are the goods.

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
really? care to show any pictures? i have been destroying deity cranks for them since they first came to the market 5 years ago and have never had an arm or spindle go out on me. I think last time i checked there were only 2-3 broken arms in the world and they were all the old old models
yes really.
I don't personally have any pictures as they weren't my cranks. I've never run deity cranks on my bike. the person I was referring to cracked two sets of deity's at the weld where the crank arm slides on the spindle. one was his original set then he cracked the warranty set, at which point he switched to profiles. I doubt that there have only be two sets of broken arms. my first post was just my two cents and feel free to discount me since I don't have the pictures to back it up.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
yes really.
I don't personally have any pictures as they weren't my cranks. I've never run deity cranks on my bike. the person I was referring to cracked two sets of deity's at the weld where the crank arm slides on the spindle. one was his original set then he cracked the warranty set, at which point he switched to profiles. I doubt that there have only be two sets of broken arms. my first post was just my two cents and feel free to discount me since I don't have the pictures to back it up.
Deity's were never meant to be bombproof. Do you know how heavy the guy was, his track record for cracking cranks, or if he's broken the profiles? I've seen broken/bent profiles. Fact is, all parts can break.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
yes really.
i can back this up. the person who broke them is a friend of ours. i have seen the cranks break up close.

he is not a big guy (maybe 160-170 lbs.) nor does he do any big drops to flat. there were pics of them on our old site.

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
Deity's were never meant to be bombproof. Do you know how heavy the guy was, his track record for cracking cranks, or if he's broken the profiles? I've seen broken/bent profiles. Fact is, all parts can break.

I'd fathom a guess you don't even know the guy's name who "cracked two sets of deity's" and just saw it on Pinkbike and are just regurgitating information you have no experience with.
His name is Daniel, now living in Chicago, moved here from the Cezch republic 3 years ago. he's one of my good friends, I personally saw the latest set of deity's that he cracked when I was with him at rays last year. maybe he was mearly unlucky, I do know a lot of guys that ride deity's with no problems. To answer your other question he probably only weighs 170-180 not a big guy, just your normal average dude. to the best of my knowledge he hasn't cracked any other set of cranks. It wasn't my intention to turn this thread into an atack on deity cranks, this was just my experience with them.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
His name is Daniel, now living in Chicago, moved here from the Cezch republic 3 years ago. he's one of my good friends, I personally saw the latest set of deity's that he cracked when I was with him at rays last year. maybe he was mearly unlucky, I do know a lot of guys that ride deity's with no problems. To answer your other question he probably only weighs 170-180 not a big guy, just your normal average dude. to the best of my knowledge he hasn't cracked any other set of cranks. It wasn't my intention to turn this thread into an atack on deity cranks, this was just my experience with them.
Fair enough, he's one of the few then. Sounds pretty average weight, might just be bad luck.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
im pretty sure thats who eric said broke the first set of cranks, didnt know he went through a second set. I spent about 4 hours (mostly removing old stuck bb cups, pedals, and chain wheels from old cranks) installing vendettas on 4 of my bikes. the weight between the new and old crank arms is totally noticeable in your hands and you can see all the work and revision that has gone into them. I like the idea of 36 spline over 48, bigger splines with more contact area. plus they look sick as hell. thanks eric and sadi

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
im pretty sure thats who eric said broke the first set of cranks, didnt know he went through a second set. I spent about 4 hours (mostly removing old stuck bb cups, pedals, and chain wheels from old cranks) installing vendettas on 4 of my bikes. the weight between the new and old crank arms is totally noticeable in your hands and you can see all the work and revision that has gone into them. I like the idea of 36 spline over 48, bigger splines with more contact area. plus they look sick as hell. thanks eric and sadi
I agree, one more big thanks out to Eric and Sady for hooking me up with cranks right away.