Quantcast

Dell recalls 4.4 million AC adaptors

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You are late, N8 already posted this in the longue.

Also, you didn't bother to read the title like N8 did, where does 4.4 million come from?

"Dell recalls 990,000 AC adapters"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://slashdot.org/.

matgyver writes "Both CNET and CNN are reporting that Dell is recalling 4.4 million AC adapters worldwide. About 990,000 of those were sold to US consumers, 1.5 million to US businesses, and the rest where outside the US. The adapters were sold with laptops between 1998 and 2002 and included Dell's Latitude, Inspiron, and Precision laptops. The part numbers for the adapters are 9364U, 7832D and 4983D. Apparently the adapters run the risk of overheating and can be a fire and electrocution risk."
there are other countries in the world, ya know

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
syadasti said:
You are late, N8 already posted this in the longue.

Also, you didn't bother to read the title like N8 did, where does 4.4 million come from?

"Dell recalls 990,000 AC adapters"

Naw... I deleted it out the Lounge and didn't bother to repost it here.

Good call Toshi.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Phew...I was only 1 for 2. Mine was one of the ID'd part numbers but luckily it wasn't made by Delta. So I guess I won't be dying a shocking and fiery death after all. :p

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have a 2 2004 Inspirons - both outside the range of the recall and obviously, OK...

Burning to death would be a horrible way to die.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
That thread title scare the ****e outta me. I work a Kaiser Permanente in the IT department and our current PC contract is with DELL! Of course we did have 1500 HDD's go bad. Dells fault too, though they did replace them for free.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ciaran said:
That thread title scare the ****e outta me. I work a Kaiser Permanente in the IT department and our current PC contract is with DELL! Of course we did have 1500 HDD's go bad. Dells fault too, though they did replace them for free.
Not Dell's fault, the OEM of the HDD - what were they - IBM Deathstars? Thats like saying its Specialized's fault for faulty RS forks they specced.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
syadasti said:
Not Dell's fault, the OEM of the HDD - what were they - IBM Deathstars? Thats like saying its Specialized's fault for faulty RS forks they specced.
Poor choice of words on my end (12 hour days suck... I was tired). I meant to say that it was not OUR fault. Nothing we did wrong. Not that it was Dells fault that the HDDs were faulty... they didn't make them. No they were not IBM's which are great if you have one made before Hitachi got ahold of them. I have two IBM deskstars that have been running well for years. The bad drives were Maxtors. To Dell's credit they not only replaced them with Seagate drives :drool: But they also assumed extra responsibility by saying that the HDD's would likely not have failed had they been in a case with better airflow. (We use their slimline cases). Poor product on Maxtors part, poor choice of HDD on Dells end is what they (Dell) were saying.