Quantcast

demo 8 weight

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
But thats with the single ply tires and XC tubes (at least the one i rode in whislter had these and it was brand new, had 4 flats in one day). When you add in some DH tires and heavier tubes it starts to nudge over 45lb's. Still not bad.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Cave Dweller said:
But thats with the single ply tires and XC tubes (at least the one i rode in whislter had these and it was brand new, had 4 flats in one day). When you add in some DH tires and heavier tubes it starts to nudge over 45lb's. Still not bad.
The 2.4 tires that come on the Demo II are not any lighter than a 2.5 Michelin. I don't know what tubes comes on them though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, the Rollers aren't skimpy. And I'm pretty sure they don't come w/ XC tubes, although I run those anyways.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Jeremy R said:
The 2.4 tires that come on the Demo II are not any lighter than a 2.5 Michelin. I don't know what tubes comes on them though.
The tire i had was light as, and very, very thin on the side walls, to the point i could feel it rolling out on corners just like single ply maxxis tires i have used before. And they were def xc tubes, and thin ones at that, i remeber as i was trying to fit a puncture repair patch onto it (in the cold, with lots of bugs crawling on me)

But this was last years bike, things may have changed.

*edit* Tires are differant. According to the site last years were rollers (Specialized Roller RS 26 x 2.4&#8221; aramid bead, Cap Ply reinforced casing), and this years are chunders(Specialized Chunder 26x2.3" 60 TPI, aramid bead, 2 ply, Butyl insert, soft compound), so i think the rollers are single and the chunders are dual plys, so i stand corrected, 42 is not a bad weight for a 12lb frame, but is that 42lbs for last years or this years bike???

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Mine Demo8 II weighed about 42 out of the box. The tires that come on the bike are pure crap. They are heavy and dont hook up at all. Replaced them with Michelin and dropped weight.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
My 05' Demo 8 (the flat black one) came in at approx. 44.70 lbs. on a shop scale w/ a stock build.

I parted it out and changed a lot of the components on it for last year, and this year will be the final evolution of that process. I've got some estimations as to what she'll weigh when I'm done w/ my new build, but I don't want to say anything until it's all put together in racing trim.

...and yeah the stock tires and tubes from last year were a joke: the Roller RS 2.4's weighed 1025g and the tubes were some ridiculously light things at 170g... but the rims were the new Mavic EX 325's which were a hefty 716g.

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
im really only looking at the 06 builds, and if anyone has an aprox. weight of the demo 8 I that would be great, im kinda trying to compare to see if spending the extra cash is worth it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
my Demo 8 II out of the box was 42 pounds complete with Mag pedals which are way light themselves (best flat pedal I've ever ridden). The new tires are Chunders and a bit heavier than my Comp 16 2.5's...but read 2.35 but are identical in width. And the tubes are NOT XC tubes...they're a midweight tube made for 2.3 tires.

Couple things of note:
The bars are only 26 inches wide so you'll probably ditch them pronto if you are a racer and the seatpost is a full length XC post so you'll probably cut it down immediately to shave a little weight.

Other than the bars, it comes out of the box fully assembled and ready to race.

The Demo I is right at 44.8lbs. The DHX 4.0 on the back only lacks the bottom out control and if you ever notice the bike bottoming out harshly, you can send it to Fox to setup based on your weight and never have to touch it again...per Mark Fitzsimmons of Fox. For the price the Demo I is a fantastic deal!!!

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
S.K.C. said:
...and yeah the stock tires and tubes from last year were a joke: the Roller RS 2.4's weighed 1025g and the tubes were some ridiculously light things at 170g... but the rims were the new Mavic EX 325's which were a hefty 716g.
Thanks, i was begining to think i must have been imagining things, the candian buds were not that strong (joking.....) :cool:

bizutch said:
The Demo I is right at 44.8lbs. The DHX 4.0 on the back only lacks the bottom out control and if you ever notice the bike bottoming out harshly, you can send it to Fox to setup based on your weight and never have to touch it again...per Mark Fitzsimmons of Fox. For the price the Demo I is a fantastic deal!!!
I agree, except the forks damper (ssvf) lets the whole package down, they should have put an rc2 on it and charged a few extra $$ imo.