Quantcast

Demo 9 and Fox DHX (x-post mtbr)

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
Has anybody tried this combination? Will the shock fit? My swinger 6-way will not fit on the high bottom bracket setting, it is hitting the low speed compression adjuster on the bottom of the ribcage. I have been considering the DHX as a replacement for the swinger. Anybody have any thoughts?

-tmoney

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
tmoney said:
Has anybody tried this combination? Will the shock fit? My swinger 6-way will not fit on the high bottom bracket setting, it is hitting the low speed compression adjuster on the bottom of the ribcage. I have been considering the DHX as a replacement for the swinger. Anybody have any thoughts?

-tmoney
Don't you have to flip it? Check your manual.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
DH biker said:
You could always get the one with the remote resi. Give Fox a call and I am sure they could hook you up.
Fox has been pretty tight with the remote Resi shocks. What I've been told is they refer you to Turner which doesn't seem to want to part with them.
Our team is sponsored by Fox and Turner (SpeedmetalDH) and a few people wanted to upgrade last years frames with new shocks and it took some convincing.
Might have been due to availability though?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
It should fit with out any problems, just make sure your shock is turned the right way. I have one on my Demo and it works fine

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Tmoney - when you say its hitting "the bottom of the ribcage" - do you mean with respect to the ground, or some other orientation?

In the manual, with the shock mounted in the "Upper A" position, the reservoir should be facing DOWN, towards the ground - Spesh had it spec'd this way so there should be no problems...

As far as using a DHX, Kyle Strait has been running one on his red Demo 9 for over a year now - which he uses to race world cup with, and hasn't had any problems...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
S.K.C. said:
As far as using a DHX, Kyle Strait has been running one on his red Demo 9 for over a year now - which he uses to race world cup with, and hasn't had any problems...
Thats my bike now. :heart:

Aug 10, 2002
I know exactly what you mean about the low/high speed compression adjusters hitting on the frame.

He is putting the shock on correctly .... it's almost impossible to put the shock in the wrong position as it only fits one way for each of the two settings. Even if you got it to work you would damage the shock big time when you sat on the bike.

I ride my Demo in the high bottom bracket position and found that the hassle wasn't worth it. You can file down the low speed adjuster and turn it in a few turns to make it work but you can't adjust - the volume, air pressure (the res. is longer on the 6-way) or the low/high speed compression when the bike is in the high bb position. Crappy stuff really!

Seeing how everyone is riding the Demo's in the lower bb position with a slacker head angle, I don't think this has been an issue for anyone. If your stuck with the 6-way and want to ride in the high bb position then your gonna have to make some mod's to the shock. If not, return it and get a remote res. version of the 6-way or DHX. I haven't tried the DHX and don't know if it would work in the high bb position ... my guess is not or with limited adjustability.

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
Its kinda crappy that the six way requires modifications to fit. I am glad somebody is having the same prob. as me. I was begining to think my frame has problems. It looks like i may have to get the DHX. Thanks for your replys.

-tmoney