Quantcast

Demo 9

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm looking at picking up a cheapy used bike for next season. I've found a pretty decent Demo 9 bike, size medium, with an acceptable build less a manipoo rear shock, which I'd likely send to avalanche for a tune. For $1000 bucks, is this a decent bike to freeride, take to parks, maybe race once, and mostly just have fun on? Are there production kinks that I may run into? Any sort of compatibility issues or other quirks worth noting?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
They are known to have issues with cracking......The rear triangles and the main frame. Check it thoroughly for cracks.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I loved the ones i had, Over the course of my riding "career" I have left them and came back a few times, i had 1 originally from 04-08 that never broke, i had 1 from 05-08 that broke once, on the chainstay. Briefly owned another 2 since 08 to now. Only 1 broke, and it had a hell of a ride until it did. (when it did it was just a crack, not a full dice ****show)

1000 is a pretty decent price i would think. Its a really capable bike, and with a modern build, you can get them pretty light, mine weighed in at just a hair over 42. (which isnt bad for an old huck bike) One of the things that i loved about it was the geo, i am not sure what it is or what good antisquat characteristics the TT has or what the BB drop is, but it was really capable and has more in common with the new demo than most will admit to. I think its a very solid bike and i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to a friend, i still do.

"its just as good now as it was back then" When it came out it was the bike to have, unless your better than the pros were than, im sure it wont hold you back-or any of us for that matter

+1 from me, but hey, i am demo 9

I'm looking at picking up a cheapy used bike for next season. I've found a pretty decent Demo 9 bike, size medium, with an acceptable build less a manipoo rear shock, which I'd likely send to avalanche for a tune. For $1000 bucks, is this a decent bike to freeride, take to parks, maybe race once, and mostly just have fun on? Are there production kinks that I may run into? Any sort of compatibility issues or other quirks worth noting?
less than proud of this, but this is the type of riding i did with this bike for the first 2-3 years of owning it-anybody remember the hucker days?

Big Huck Video - Pinkbike.com

Last edited:

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I had one with the 4Way and once I got it tuned up the bike was incredible. Heavy, but incredible. I'd easily still ride Whistler with it if I still had it. Check around the shock mount (the web looking part) for cracks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i remember the hucking days. s-works dh, shiver, sun double wides with nokian three-ohs, bmx cranks, azonic world force bars. the other week i came across a bunch of old huck videos. i need to dig them up again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I loved the ones i had,
thanks dude. I saw your plattekill video and it certainly looks like you can ride, so I appreciate the advice.

Weight isn't really a concern for me. I'm more interested in suspension quality, rising leverage rate, and build quality. Hell, the bike has a monster on it, and all the bikes I'm looking at sacrifice weight for reliability.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks dude. I saw your plattekill video and it certainly looks like you can ride, so I appreciate the advice.

Weight isn't really a concern for me. I'm more interested in suspension quality, rising leverage rate, and build quality. Hell, the bike has a monster on it, and all the bikes I'm looking at sacrifice weight for reliability.
rider included

:butsed:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

while the platty vid is better, this probably pertains to your interest more. Dirt jumps and berms on a demo 9-by demo 9, riding a demo 9, posting as demo 9

Top to Bottom Run at Diablo Freeride Park with Justin Brigandi Video - Pinkbike.com

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I had an 04 Demo 9 and rode it for 3 season; it weighed a ton. The Swinger 6 way sucked balls, I put a DHX 5 on it for the 3rd season and it was way better. The geo was pretty good for when it came out.

My buddy rode one too. Beat the living piss out of it. Every landing was a monster truck landing.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/2607/[/video]

This should speak for the abuse that a Demo can take. He bent the shiver on this landing.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
As mentioned, the Demo 9 usese a 12x150 rear end. What isn't mentioned is that it has a 73mm BB, so achieving a proper chainline and getting the chain guide set up can be a little more challenging. And yeah, it is heavy. Real heavy.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
As mentioned, the Demo 9 usese a 12x150 rear end. What isn't mentioned is that it has a 73mm BB, so achieving a proper chainline and getting the chain guide set up can be a little more challenging. And yeah, it is heavy. Real heavy.
It was a PITA to get a decent BB. I think it was a 73mm shell and a 118mm spindle. I think my stock BB was a Truvativ.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The demo DOES have a hard BB interface issue, however, it can be easily solved. The BB shell is a 73, HOWEVER the spindle length is an 83 setup, what this means is that 73mm saints wont fit, it also means that 83mm saints wont fit. You have to make a hybrid setup, what i did was get an 83mm saint crankset, threw out the middle plastic cup, and got some spacers to put between the BB and the crankarm (on the spindle)

^ this is the easiest and most common way to do it, raceface makes the "retrofit kit" but if you can find spacers youself, it will save you money and time.