Quantcast

Demo and Fox DHX (which mounting hardware?)

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I have an 05 demo 8 and I just got a new dhx. How am I supposed to mount the shock (not side in which you can change it from position A to B, i have the hardware for that) because the hole is bigger than the one on the swinger so when I install it, naturally, there is a bunch of play, like a centimeter at least. Has anyone else here installed one on a demo 8 and what hardware did you need to get? reducers? Thanks

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I would think that because the new Demo 8s come with the DHX that you have one of two options to provision for your new shock.

1) Specialized might have different hardware for the DHX that fits the larger shock eye of the DHX. This hardware will fit your frame if it exist. Call Specialized on this to find out.

2) If the hardware from Specialized is not different then the shock eye is sleeved smaller for Specialized by Fox for OEM use. Contact Fox or Specialized to obtain the different sleeve and press the old one out, press the new one in.

3) Post up what you find out as others will want to know, Good luck and enjoy your new shock.:thumb: :evil:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
PM Li'l Dave. He went thru the same process, and it definitely took some mechanical trickery. He made it work though.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Actually, since all the 06' Demo 8's come w/ DHX's, Spesh or Fox should have the right hardware to make it work. I'll be going through the same re-fitment in another month or so.

Might be easier this way than fabricating something on your own.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea,i called from home and they said to call from a dealer (which i am, when i'm at work) and they wouldn't even give me any info cuz i wasn't a "dealer"....

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
This dude figured it out pretty well:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=112529

It's on a Demo9 but it can't be that much different than an 8.

I'd just like to send a big "cago en tus muertos" out to the Specialized engineers who don't make their bikes compatible with normal shocks and normal sizes. WTF?! I bought an SX and now it's not even rideable anymore with the garbage 5th Air shock. ARG! RETARDS! Whew.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Spoke with somebody at Push about an hour ago. They are working on a hardware kit for this exact conversion. From what I am told they may have a proto kit at the moment but nothing available to the public for about a month or more. I know this info doesn't help right now, but it will help others down the road. By the way, the Push website upgrades are nice.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I called Specialized, and they said they have no idea and said I might want to call Fox. Fox has no idea so I just told them that I needed a reducer and I gave them these measurements. 6mm bolt x 16 mm long. Hopefully thats the correct size...it still bothers me that not even specialized knows the size...wtf

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Spesh has no idea?

WTF? I'll give em' a call tomorrow and just say that I need replacement hardware for mounting a DHX to a Demo 8 II... that's BS.

I'll try my contacts at Fox and see what I can come up with as well...

I spoke with Darren about something like this (DHX conversion hardware) last summer - hopefully that will come out before May.

As far as Kyle goes - if Reg is still his bike mechanic I'm sure he's got some kind of mounting hardware for a DHX in a Demo lying around. He used to fit DHX's to Kyles' old red Demo 9...

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea, i called specialized from home and from the shop and neither of the dudes had any idea what i needed. good luck skc and thanks

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
S.K.C. said:
I'll contact Spesh and Fox tomorrow - but it doesn't look good.

PUSH might be the best bet - I'll try and give Darren a shout too.
See my post on this earlier, I allready called Push and there are none available for about a month. I am having some of the same problems with a ROCO for my Demo 9. Went to one of my 2 fav LBSs after posting earlier and they just happened to have a shock eye pivot pin and spacers for some Santa cruz model (sorry I don't know which one)......the pin is .057 to long X .0005 dia. to big and the spacers are .007 to long. Half an hour with a couple of sheets of silicon carbide wet/dry paper and I have perfect fitting hardware. Price for hardware....about 10 bucks and my time.:thumb: :evil:

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
I am the guy that did the "ghetto fix" for my demo 9. Basically what i did was mimic the mount of the swinger. If you look at the swinger mount, their is no DU bushing, only an 8mm hole for the mounting bolt. So what i did was make a reducer from a standard stainless tube that presses in the DU bushing. It was easy, just cut a fit tube the exact width of the shock and press it into the DU bushing. I dont have a picture but its not rocket science.

-tmoney

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
metalMTB said:
where can i get a standard stainless tube??
Just get another reducer for the frame side and cut it down. It needs to have 8mm inner diameter for 8mm bolt and it is 12 or 13mm wide, it needs to be the width of the end of the shock, I forget exactly the length. Also use the cone washers that come with the swinger. I went through the same thing with my demo9 last season. I recently sent my DHX back to fox and asked if they had a reducer for the seatstay side, Fox has no clue about it. Person I spoke says he just told people to use the stock hardware, he was not aware of the fact that the swinger only uses the bolt, no du bushing no reducer. Mind you the demo9 has been out for 2yrs now. Once you get it done it is a night and day difference, the DHX is 100x better then the swinger. Happy to hear Push is going to address this situation, but my solution has held up for a season and is still working fine. Last thing DO NOT use aluminum it does to hold up at all. You may be able to get one through Specialized now that the Demo8 has a dhx for 06, but why they left that crappy swinger on the American demo9 is beyond me.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I tried the usual suspects at Fox - no dice.

I'll try Spesh on Mon. - still haven't heard back form Darren....

Crap.

I know these avenues have been tried before - but sometimes with different people that you talk to you get different answers....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Lil Dave is getting the same runaround about hardware as you guys are from Fox and Spec. I just talked to him about this last night.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I wrote you a PM metalmtb. Basically what I did was take the bearings out of the top shock mount, place the shock in there with no reducers, push the reducers in from where the bearings usually are, and then push the bearings back in. I'm getting some new bushings and such from Fox at the moment so I have the Manitou back on there. I wish the Manitou didn't suck so bad over small bumps, the DHX spikes pretty hard on my bike no matter what I try to do. The manitou doesn't do it at all, I guess we'll see what happens when the FOX can be put back on.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
metalMTB said:
what size reducers do I need lildave?
Here is what you need. It's a hollow steel sleeve that goes inside the DHX. The inner diameter of the DHX is 10mm on the end with the pro pedal knob. The sleeve you see here is 10 mm outer diameter and 8mm inner diameter. I did not measure the width of the steel sleeve.

But...you will also need the two aluminum spacers that slide onto it. The steel sleeve then presses into the bushing of the DHX and the two aluminum spacers slide on both sides of it. Basicly this steel sleeve is the width of the inner width of the lower mount on the frame of the Demo 8.

I can almost guarantee you that Fox did NOT make this. It would have to have been ordered BY Specialized. It is usually the policy of shock manufacturers to make the shock and then the bike company has to provide adapters and reducers for it's line of shocks.
Perhaps Ska Todd of DW can confirm that.

Either way...hope that gives you a visual. Once I'm sure this isn't needed to mate my Double Barrel (which has an Inner Diameter of 8mm), I will happily sell this kit.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
bizutch said:
Here is what you need. It's a hollow steel sleeve that goes inside the DHX. The inner diameter of the DHX is 10mm on the end with the pro pedal knob. The sleeve you see here is 10 mm outer diameter and 8mm inner diameter. I did not measure the width of the steel sleeve.

But...you will also need the two aluminum spacers that slide onto it. The steel sleeve then presses into the bushing of the DHX and the two aluminum spacers slide on both sides of it. Basicly this steel sleeve is the width of the inner width of the lower mount on the frame of the Demo 8.

I can almost guarantee you that Fox did NOT make this. It would have to have been ordered BY Specialized. It is usually the policy of shock manufacturers to make the shock and then the bike company has to provide adapters and reducers for it's line of shocks.
Perhaps Ska Todd of DW can confirm that.

Either way...hope that gives you a visual. Once I'm sure this isn't needed to mate my Double Barrel (which has an Inner Diameter of 8mm), I will happily sell this kit.

He is talking about the seat stay side of the shock not the frame side.
The frame side is 8mmx40mm and Fox does sell it. If you are replacing a manipoo swinger you need both sides, from what rember the mounting hardware is different. Being that the 06 demo 8 and 06 canadian demo9 come with DHX's specialized should have a spacer for the seat stay side. If anyone has luck let me know.