Quantcast

Demo9 headtube problems?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
isn't there like a ~3/4" thick wrap-around forging? I've seen that thing and would have a hard time believing that it could fail. Anything is possible though.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
I saw the pic on pinkbike of the frame with the folded downtuberight after the headtube, this was the result of a bail that left the bike to fall 25 ft to flat... i bet this rumer started from that pic.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
I hope you don't mean this...

Please realize that some of these pics floating around are from crashes... not from something the company did. Stuff like this is RIDER ERROR!

Oh let me add this too so the is no mistake!

RIDER ERROR
RIDER ERROR
RIDER ERROR
RIDER ERROR
RIDER ERROR

Attachments

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
Did anybody tell he that there were essayer ways to change the head angle on the bike?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I think that this is a pic of the new 2005 Demo9 model on which you can adjust the headtube angle...

Tools for the job?

1. Standard Demo9 frame.
2. Ride with more than 10mph
3. find a sturdy wall
4. Hit it head-on
5. voila!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I guess that would let you know just how buff that junction is though. For the downtube to fail first, that's BUFF.

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Looks like is was driven it to the garage door at high speed. I had a couple of those at the shop I worked at. First came in the bike magled up and next was the Thule rack. Funny stuff!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by jimmydean
I guess that would let you know just how buff that junction is though. For the downtube to fail first, that's BUFF.
No doubt!

I can't see a forged headtube like that having a problem.

That must have been a crapload of force to do that!:eek:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
so what you're saying is that if you fall off the bike and it's damaged you're at fault but if you hang on and ride it out and the bike's damaged it's the manufacturer's fault. In certain situations I'd expect a bike to be damaged while being ridden far sooner than it would be damaged in a crash, for instance you ride up to a 15' drop, chicken out and ghost ride the bike off the cliff, it lands smoothly on both wheels and stops gently in a bush, after rappelling down the cliff face you find that your frame is bent to pieces and you start to wonder "what would have happened if I had been hanging on to the handlebars, would the frame have broken and pierced my gall bladder?" The additional weight of a rider puts way more stress on the frame, riding the bike off a curb would be the equivilant of pushing the bike off a loading dock as far as impact force is concerned.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, obviously bikes aren't designed to be abused but crashes are something the designers should consider, nobody can ride perfectly forever. Of course if you purposely push your bike off rooftops and such you really deserve what you get.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Matt D
DUDE! Demo 9's SUCK! They all break man! Don't buy them they're lame!:rolleyes:
They sure do! Unless you want to suck too, anyone with a Large Demo 9 should stop riding RIGHT NOW and send it to me! Stop the sucking, save yourself and I'll take all the blame :D

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
If anything, that headtube is TOO strong.

This 888 is stupid stiff (it has 35mm stanchions, no)?

SOMETHING must take the impact. Nasty.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Kornphlake

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, obviously bikes aren't designed to be abused but crashes are something the designers should consider, nobody can ride perfectly forever.
thats why i bought the Adobe, the car thats made out of clay....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by WestCoastHucker
my car is made of silly putty;) then, after a crash, i can just reshape it and go :D
Wouldn't you get the super ball effect in an accident though, bounce right out of it!.

Too bad you have to reshape the car constantly and the car looks like a Salvador Dali painting in the summer:p

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by gborden
that is the worst spelling of the word "easier" I have EVER seen.

everyone please congratulate Tom.
LO-****ing-L....ya know, internet spelling and grammar is so pathetic that my brain just 'filters' everything to sound normal now, unless its completly unfroragushanble ya know?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by zedro
LO-****ing-L....ya know, internet spelling and grammar is so pathetic that my brain just 'filters' everything to sound normal now, unless its completly unfroragushanble ya know?
cum on zed my gramer on tis intranet aint not too bad, you brain dont not need to filtr tings out. me soond nurmal rite ?

;)

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
cum on zed my gramer on tis intranet aint not too bad, you brain dont not need to filtr tings out. me soond nurmal rite ?

;)
And here we have a wonderful example of someone "trying" to be funny.

That's for the
ealier ;) :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by gborden
that is the worst spelling of the word "easier" I have EVER seen.

everyone please congratulate Tom.
Oh. I though that he was refering to the way in which an assayer (precious metals dealer) would adjust the headtube. No wonder I was confused.