Quantcast

Den of Thieves, aka Bank of America

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
<rant on>

So, I was monitoring my checking account online a couple of weeks ago and noticed 2 pending overdraft fees. I called the customer service center, and was told that if I made a cash deposit by 4pm central time that the overdraft fees would be avoided. Well, I left work early to be at the bank before the cutoff time and made a $300 cash deposit to cover everything and while looking at my account yesterday, I noticed the fees were still there. So, I called the customer service again and explained the situation and was told that the cutoff time was not 4pm, but in fact 2pm and there was nothing they could do, and would not be refunding the overdraft charges. I asked to speak to the young woman's supervisor, who told me the same thing again. So I told him I needed to talk to someone who could because I was lied to by bank of america, he informed me that it was bank of america's final decision and no one would refund my fees. I informed him that jihad will rain fire down on bank of america and they could stick it squarely up their collective asses and break it off.

<rant over>

I will be closing my account with thieves of america and letting everyone I know (& eknow) what kind of lying thieves they in fact are.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So because of your inability to keep a balanced check book in the first place you are pissed? Maybe they should of just let your checks bounce? Sounds like you should call them and thank them for being there for you while you practice financial irresponsibility.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, that's a lot of suck right there.

I'm not a fan of financial institutions to begin with, but having used USAA for a while now, they seem to do the job. Not having a branch sucks, so I opened a high interest "rewards checking" account with a local credit union and have no intention of ever going back to one of the big banks.

Both my accounts refund ATM fees, so it doens't bother me when BofA charged $3 for me to pull $20 out last weekend.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What a bunch of cock jockeys. True you could do a better job of managing your account, but a little latitiude once in a while isn't too much to ask a bank. I've gotten overdraft fees in the past (while I was a broke college student) and have had them reversed.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Wow, that's a lot of suck right there.

I'm not a fan of financial institutions to begin with, but having used USAA for a while now, they seem to do the job. Not having a branch sucks, so I opened a high interest "rewards checking" account with a local credit union and have no intention of ever going back to one of the big banks.

Both my accounts refund ATM fees, so it doens't bother me when BofA charged $3 for me to pull $20 out last weekend.
They also have this online thing where if you have a scanner, you can scan the checks and send it to them and it's instantly deposited. Big fan of USAA.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They also have this online thing where if you have a scanner, you can scan the checks and send it to them and it's instantly deposited. Big fan of USAA.
Only if you have credit with them. They used to do overnight deposits through UPS stores (free, mind you), but they killed that a while back.

I don't have a credit card, or a scanner, so I just deposit local then do a cash advance on my Visa debit if I NEED money in the USAA account. My paycheck goes there, so I have little need to deposit outside of my direct deposit.

They did send me a new home loan offer, though. I might take them up on that soon.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Welcome to the world of ****ty communication and employees who have no real idea about company policy.

I had a similar issue with our new bank. I was told if I opened an account, the first deposit would take 5 days to clear and any subsequent deposits would be next day availability. What this jackass didn't know was that if I opened the account over the phone, all of my checks would have a seven day business hold on them for the first ****ing month of the account activation.

So here were are, just moved to a new city and all of our checks and signing bonuses had seven business day holds on them. Even the check I opened the account with had a seven day hold even though the funds had been removed from our other bank. They basically just sat on my check for seven days.

No one offered to help us out in any way even though it was their HUGE **** up. I totally would have gone to a branch to open the account if I had known about this issue. We will be closing the account.

Life is a PITA.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
While searching for a new bank, DO NOT GO TO WAMU.

They are even worse than BofA or Wells Fargo.

We opened an account with them a few years ago when we moved. Branch was right around the corner from our new house. Very convenient.

My wife works at a restaurant and makes most of her money in cash tips. She deposited a few hundred dollars at the teller one day to cover new checks we had just written against our brand new account.

The 3 checks were payed but we were charged $30 a piece in overdrafts.

Next day we both went in for an explanation. Turns out they put a 3 day hold on CASH DEPOSITS for the first 60 DAYS of new accounts.

So our first three checks cost us $90 in fees. They would not refund the money and were completely rude about it, all the way up to the supervisor.

We pulled th account on the spot.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So because of your inability to keep a balanced check book in the first place you are pissed? Maybe they should of just let your checks bounce? Sounds like you should call them and thank them for being there for you while you practice financial irresponsibility.

lol...exactly what I was thinking...D

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
The USAA "bank online" thing was cool until they pulled the overnight with UPS (which they claim was UPS's choice.)

We run Macs because of the whole visual construction thing, so it took USAA a good 8 extra months to work out how to get the Mac to work with the scanner. I was not impressed.

I have my business account with B of A. I am alright with the account, but not too stoked with the $13/mo fee to "maintain" my account.

All banks are ball swallowers. Its a scam

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have my business account with B of A. I am alright with the account, but not too stoked with the $13/mo fee to "maintain" my account.

Credit union.

I walk in the door and they greet me by name. No lame fees, good rates, good online banking site, etc etc etc.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
I use to belong to First Union which was taken over by First Fidelity which was taken over by Wachovia. I finally closed my account when Wachovia took over they asked why, I said leave me alone and give me my money. A small scene was started but I got my money and never looked back.

Now I belong to a credit union good interest rates no problem with fees and great hours, they are open to 7:00 every work day, my old banks where open to 3:00 except on Friday when they were open till 5:00
How true it is

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The obvious smartass answers of "manage your acount better" aside, I have also found B of A to be a den of thieves. Worst bank ever. If you really want to hear horror stories talk to a former Bof A employee.

A five dollar charge to cash a check drawn on an account at that branch!?!?! Frikkin' highway robbery.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
maybe i'm lucky but i've been banking with a local BOA branch and everyone there knows me and is very helpful, especially on my mortgage. i guess coming into the bank in uniform once in a while helps a bit ;)

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
maybe i'm lucky but i've been banking with a local BOA branch and everyone there knows me and is very helpful, especially on my mortgage. i guess coming into the bank in uniform once in a while helps a bit ;)
Probably because while you're there, they're safe from the gun waving disgruntled customers.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
true, true....but i do get tired of the "here she is...come take her to jail!" comments. it's the equivalent of being a budweiser delivery person and having people ask if you drink and drive :rolleyes:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The obvious smartass answers of "manage your acount better" aside, I have also found B of A to be a den of thieves. Worst bank ever. If you really want to hear horror stories talk to a former Bof A employee.

A five dollar charge to cash a check drawn on an account at that branch!?!?! Frikkin' highway robbery.
EXACTLY. How many of you have ever really managed a bank and understand what nutleach executives the industry truly employs? They are nothing more than corporate pickpockets whose entire business plan revolves around creating new and innovative ways to nickel and dime to death anyone unfortunate enough to have to do business with them. They steal first and pay back later only if caught redhanded and the swindled party can stomache fighting through enough hierarchial levels of “management” to affect a reversal. Like the mortgage, power and communications industries, they conduct highly shady business and reporting practices until so many people have been harmed as to beg regulatory intervention…and then the shell game of mergers and acquisitions begins. On-campus marketing…teaser loan rates…bait-n-switch bank card terms…student loan “consolidation” schemes…ATM fees…holds on secured deposits while withdrawals are processed immediately…overdraft fees tied to averaged minimum daily balances…promotions in title and responsibility only(ever Tom, Dick and Fairy is a VP)…I could go on forever from just my six miserable months of managing a branch office. Bottom-feeding scum-suckers, the vast majority, and the overdressed & underpaid wage-slaves working in the branches bear the brunt of the resulting and oft-justified customer ire.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
ATM fees, withdraw fees, etc etc. Just the tip of the iceberg. The loan system(credit card system included) is disastrous in this nation. I wish I could remember the number off the top of my head but the amount that Americans are indebt is astounding, and it continues to get worse

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Eh, banks are whores.

Now if I could just work out how to deposit an envelope full of poo into the ATM

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
…holds on secured deposits while withdrawals are processed immediately…
Classic Wells Fargo right there. They'd put a secret hold on my paycheck and then process outstanding checks for a day or two before letting the deposit go through.

EXACTLY. How many of you have ever really managed a bank and understand ... the overdressed & underpaid wage-slaves working in the branches bear the brunt of the resulting and oft-justified customer ire.
I did consulting work with a couple of banks and generally agree with you. The people that you and I interact with when doing our business are absolutely powerless to affect events. Upper managemenrt seems to be busy stealing the goods and preparing to lay off the underlings under the guise of merger.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Classic Wells Fargo right there. They'd put a secret hold on my paycheck and then process outstanding checks for a day or two before letting the deposit go through.
I got pissed because I was charged 2 overdrafts last week. I deposited $400 in the ATM (cash) on Thursday. I did stuff over the weekend and even pulled money out, with my balance showing more than enough. I later found out they put a 3 day hold on all but $100 my cash deposit.

I asked them why my balance showed the full amount AND they processed the debit purchased if there were funds held. They said "If you would have checked your balance online, you would have seen the hold."

They did reverse them though.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Wow lots of bitterness here.... I guess it is all on how you look at it. I am a long time BofA account holder (many) including my checking, savings, a credit card, when I owned a business my business checking and line of credit and when I bought my house a mortgage.

I'd have to say when you play their game, they are all about "relationship banking" you can in turn leverage the crap out of it. My mortgage had no closing costs and was 1/2 point lower than anywhere else, my checking and savings accounts have no fees, and when I applied for an additional credit card last year (US Air in conjunction with BofA) they immediately bumped my credit line when I requested, as I planned on using that CC for all my business expenses.

I guess it is a two way street, if you are bad at managing your money, and or have very little of it, why should a bank which has a sole purpose of making money by managing money hook you up?

Isn't that like going into a LBS only when you need to buy the smallest of part with no margin and asking for a hook-up?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Isn't that like going into a LBS only when you need to buy the smallest of part with no margin and asking for a hook-up?
No, it's like a LBS charging you up the ass to fix your bike when it's broken because of an earlier small repair or installation they did that was incorrect.

Banks prey on people who live check to check. It's nothing new though.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
No, it's like a LBS charging you up the ass to fix your bike when it's broken because of an earlier small repair or installation they did that was incorrect.
I do not see the correlation, especially in this case, the guy admittedly over drew his account. They covered him and want to get paid for doing so.

Banks prey on people who live check to check. It's nothing new though.
Do LBS' prey on folks that can't fix their own bikes?

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Fvck it, keep it all in a coffee can buried under your dead turtle, under your dead grandma, in the basement, next to the pile of pregnant dead hookers.

You'll always know where it is, and if you overdraft from that account, you've got larger issues then the fees the maggots will charge.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I guess it is a two way street, if you are bad at managing your money, and or have very little of it, why should a bank which has a sole purpose of making money by managing money hook you up?
Thats right, they should only help out rich people. The fees they charge are ridiculous....they justify huge overdraft (trying paying $35 for a $5 overdraft) by saying they are extending you the courtesy of credit so you can make your purchase.