Quantcast

Dented Air Shock

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
My little bro and i went out for a ride today on his semi-new bike (4-5 rides). Its a 2005(?) Norco Fluid that i picked up in a factory-closeout.
Anyways for the descent he lowered his seat-post, and as it turns out he lowered it too far.
His seat-post contacted his shock (Float RL), and dented it. All of the air leaked out, and now I can bottom the shock just by pressing on it.
He's only 11 so I cant really blame him, its my bad for not checking.

Is the shock screwed, or is there hope that a rebuild/overhaul will fix it? I'm not very farmiliar with air suspension.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I think Fox should be able to fix it but it would probably be a pretty hefty price. I've seen that happen before and they have just bought new shocks instead.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Since fox has to do all the work them selves, I wont be surprized if it ends up cheaper to just EP a new one.

IMO, your best bet is to call fox and ask.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Since fox has to do all the work them selves, I wont be surprized if it ends up cheaper to just EP a new one.

IMO, your best bet is to call fox and ask.
Not true. Most of the times I have seen this, it is just the air can. If that is the case, a call to fox with the stroke, eye to eye, and about $40 will get it all fixed.

If the dent is large enough to impact/scratch the body...then it is done.

Pull the shock off the frame and unthread the outer air can and check. There is an 'air can service video' on the fox site for reference if you need.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Yah, as others have said, if its just an aircan, then the shock is definitely fixable for not much $$. Depending on the bike's linkage setup (and your bro's weight since I'm guessing he's pretty small) it may even be worth your while grabbing one of those oversizedAVA airsleeves (do they still make those?) to get the rate a little more linear

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
take a picture of the dent. if its on the shaft and its not too big you can always fill it up with nail polish. if its anything significant then it need to be sent to fox because there is another piston that runs inside that shaft, and a dent surface for that piston wouldn't be good. if its on the air can and it punched a hole, an air can is dead easy to replace, dont even need any tools.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
The dent is on the air can.
I think I might try pumping the shock up, just to see if it will hold air.
It seems weird to me that all of the air would drain out after the seat-post bottoming, but then again I have never taking apart an air shock.

If the air can is damaged beyond repair, and I do have to replace it, can i order the parts from FOX and do it myself?
Also, Fly, what is the oversized AVA chamber? Link?

Thanks for the help guys.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If the air can is damaged beyond repair, and I do have to replace it, can i order the parts from FOX and do it myself?
Also, Fly, what is the oversized AVA chamber? Link?

Thanks for the help guys.
Yes, fox will sell you the can directly. You will need to know the stroke and eye to eye. Changing the can is a no-tools deal. Just let the air out, and unscrew the can by hand. Go to Fox's site for a how to video... try this: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/service_videos/airsleeve_service.htm

The larger can (I dont think the AVA is made anymore, but people use DHX cans) will offer a more linear shock/spring rate than the smaller can. Your shock could have either can...some mfg spec the DHX can stock from Fox.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Thanks Dave. Your the man.
I think I'll look into the larger can. He's relativly small ( 5'3" 105), so linear is probably better.
He's no hucker yet, just likes pinning it down the trail, with the occasional drop and jump.