Quantcast

Dependable, Affordable Light? Do These Words Go Together?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I'm not a road cyclist, but this seems to be the appropriate place for this question.

I've been doing night rides in town with a cheap Cateye light lately, and it's just not cutting it. Is there a dependable, durable - and relatively affordable light out there? I'd rather not spend more than $80 or so, but if I have to shell out big bucks for a quality unit then so be it.

I was nearly hit last night, and although I have no doubts that the driver swerved intentionally, it made me realize that a better light is in order (something that can blind the random jacka$$ would be great). And while I realize that riding at night is dangerous even with a light, it's really the only time I can ride during the week. Any thoughts/suggestions concerning a tail light would be most appreciated also.

Thanks!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Blackburn has some incredibly bright LED units with compact and light lithium ion batteries. I've been using the "System X4" which retails for $160. Since it's an LED unit the battery life is awesome, and since the battery is Li-Ion, it's also very light. The head unit carries a lifetime warranty.

http://www.systemxlights.com/

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Blackburn has some incredibly bright LED units with compact and light lithium ion batteries. I've been using the "System X4" which retails for $160. Since it's an LED unit the battery life is awesome, and since the battery is Li-Ion, it's also very light. The head unit carries a lifetime warranty.

http://www.systemxlights.com/
The X3 seems to get good reviews, and the price is right...

...but if this is an available option...:biggrin:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If the driver did try to hit you, well, no light can stop that, but what about -- in addition to light suggestions above -- a reflective vest? I have one for commuting to/from work during the winter when it's dark longer.

Also, don't forget about rear red lights.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
If the driver did try to hit you, well, no light can stop that, but what about -- in addition to light suggestions above -- a reflective vest? I have one for commuting to/from work during the winter when it's dark longer.

Well, anything in between me and an automobile is a plus. :monkey:

I've been overdue for a quality light for awhile now, but I've never had any close calls, so I've been putting it off. Last night just made me realize that it was time - and I'm on the tail light.

Never thought about a reflective vest...

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio

Yeah I saw on another forum, a thread about who carries fire arms while ridding? If I had people swerving at me on purpose I would consider that. Unfortunately when I purchased my pistol, I never considered carrying it on my bike, and a full size Glock is way too heavy to be on the bike. A subcompact like a G36 would be more like it.

Fortunately where I live worst case scenario I have retards call me Lance Armstrong, and cheer for me, for I ride a USPS color bike. So I never consider such. As it gets darker sooner. I figured it was time to pick up a light so today I did, after seeing this thread. I also would suggest maybe a trainer for your situation.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Yeah I saw on another forum, a thread about who carries fire arms while ridding? If I had people swerving at me on purpose I would consider that. Unfortunately when I purchased my pistol, I never considered carrying it on my bike, and a full size Glock is way too heavy to be on the bike. A subcompact like a G36 would be more like it.

Fortunately where I live worst case scenario I have retards call me Lance Armstrong, and cheer for me, for I ride a USPS color bike. So I never consider such. As it gets darker sooner. I figured it was time to pick up a light so today I did, after seeing this thread. I also would suggest maybe a trainer for your situation.
It's not the animal that its daddy is, but my Baby Eagle would still be a little unweildy on a bike...

I've never had anything remotely like that happen before, and I was pretty pissed about it.... I rode around in that part of town for awhile hoping I could spot the vehicle again.

A trainer is actually a pretty damn good idea.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I'm sorry, did you say that people who cheer for you are retards?

:disgust1:
Yes, if they were cheering for me in a race I would be thankful. On training rides when they just yell stupid stuff, they are retards.

It's not the animal that its daddy is, but my Baby Eagle would still be a little unweildy on a bike...

I've never had anything remotely like that happen before, and I was pretty pissed about it.... I rode around in that part of town for awhile hoping I could spot the vehicle again.

A trainer is actually a pretty damn good idea.
I understand totally, and the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was, this guy needs a trainer, then I started to look at lights on ebay, and got distracted before I could tell you that.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
The stupid stuff is a form of acceptance and encouragement.

You're a tool.
No it wasn't. It is their sarcastic, way of making fun of me. I guess I should note they were younger kids, pants hanging off of their butts, and probably stealing car stereos, when people weren't around. Not many people ride road bikes around here, so it is a rarity for them to see a grown man in lycra. So they make fun of it. Thats all it was. "Lance Armstrong" is just their extent of their cycling knowledge, so they yell that at me.

I do occasionally have people give me the thumbs up while training. This was obviously different. I am happy to accept that and return the gesture.

Also I am a piece of poo, not a tool, and you are a towel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've never taken it as encouragement when people yell things like "go Lance" when I ride by. I figure it is the same thing as when I get drunk on my front porch and yell "run Forest, run" at joggers. People just being asses.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've never taken it as encouragement when people yell things like "go Lance" when I ride by. I figure it is the same thing as when I get drunk on my front porch and yell "run Forest, run" at joggers. People just being asses.
Yes, but you're a bitter old man.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Exactly obviously I am not Lance, so why would I take it as anything else other than what I took it as? Instead Lord Opie starts the name calling game, and then accuses me of being 15, which of course is way older than they age he appears to be acting. Can we please hear more about what the OP is looking for now?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Exactly obviously I am not Lance, so why would I take it as anything else other than what I took it as?
What it is is encouragement. You said they're cheering you. You are a tool.

Oh, I know, what they're really yelling is, "Your handlebars are too high. We don't accept you for who you are. We're not going to give you any approval and you should suffer self-esteem issues until you buy a new bike and grab hold of your front quick release to gain maximu aero."

Sorry, my bad.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you have standards for asshattery? "Go Lance" yelled to an oncoming cyclist is asshattery at an unacceptable level.
It is only acceptable for a non cyclist. I certainly couldn't name any person related to running other that Forest Gump, maybe Jesse Owens.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Why do you need lights? Lance never used lights.

Seriously though, I have a mini-cateye light as well as a rear blinker when I do night rides, and I wear a brightly colored jersey. If you can buy some reflective tape, try sticking it to the back of your seatpost and leave a strip across the top of each jersey pocket. Front lights only help you to see terrain, for the most part, reflectors are what let cars see you.
True, being seen is just as important as being able to see. In this case, being able to see is just a lot more expensive... Anybody have any experience with the Blackburn X3?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I know people will laugh, but I read elsewhere people having good luck with those older style generators. It attaches to your fork and rubs on the tire.

They sell them at Target for like $8. You can pop in a long-life 3w halogen bulb and that should last quite a while.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I know people will laugh, but I read elsewhere people having good luck with those older style generators. It attaches to your fork and rubs on the tire.

They sell them at Target for like $8. You can pop in a long-life 3w halogen bulb and that should last quite a while.

Generator?? Resistance?? I just rode home from work last night (20 miles, nice 60 degree east coast fall evening 12:30AM)- I NEED TO FEEL FAST AT NIGHT. Tesla would be proud but I prefer better living through chemistry.

Of course I'm running a cheap 1 watt LED made by planet bike, but it keeps it exciting because I hear big things along the fields (I tell myself they're deer and they probably are) but I can't see them:)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm just sayin', it's a cheap solution.

And if you're purpose is exercise, well, suck it up princess. The resistance will make you stronger. And if your commute isn't that far, big deal.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Do you have standards for asshattery? "Go Lance" yelled to an oncoming cyclist is asshattery at an unacceptable level.
Somebody agrees. From the sound of what you are using anything will be an improvement. I like what I've been hearing about this Princeton stuff. Thats why I bought the one I did. The price is right too. Save your money so you can buy a longer seatpost, and a lower rise stem.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Somebody agrees....
I'm not taking sides or anything. I can appreciate a good ass, I'm just saying that "Go Lance" isn't quality asshattery....

And you're right about anything being an upgrade - I believe I spent a whopping $10 on the light I'm currently using. I'll definitely look into the Princeton stuff.

splat

Nam I am
Always rember , it is more important that you be seen then you see.

since this is the 2nd time you have brought up generators , do you have the faintest Idea how they work ? In particular how they get the Electricity from the generator to the light bulb ?

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
They use this thing called a wire.
Has anyone made one with a capacitor in them so they don't dim when you slow? I remember way back in the day someone had one, and I rode their bike, and thought that it sucked how they dimmed when stopped. I figure by now it must be sorted out if people are still selling the stuff.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Has anyone made one with a capacitor in them so they don't dim when you slow? I remember way back in the day someone had one, and I rode their bike, and thought that it sucked how they dimmed when stopped. I figure by now it must be sorted out if people are still selling the stuff.
I know the $150+ ones hold a charge for more than a stop light cycle.

Shimano's Dynohub is getting good reviews. The drag is only noticeable at getting moving from a stop.

I forgot the name of the $300 one, but people say you cannot notice any drag at all.

splat

Nam I am
They use this thing called a wire.
Your right and you don't even relize it , they use 1 Wire!

how to they complete the circuit ?

The Mount for the Generator has Several Spikes on it to scrape the paint ( because Paint is an Insulator ) and dig into the metal , to use the frame as the other conductor. and some ofhte lights they use have the same basic feature

Now how appealing does this sound to you now ?

EDIT: Dynohubs neeed to be modified to work with a Carbon Fibre fork , because CF doesn't conduct electricity