Quantcast

Der Kaiser + 823's = ?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Checking in with the RM crew to see who had good and bad luck with Der Kaiser on 823's.

Mine seated immediately with a small compressor. Hoping to avoid becoming a blow off horror story.

TIA

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Checking in with the RM crew to see who had good and bad luck with Der Kaiser on 823's.

Mine seated immediately with a small compressor. Hoping to avoid becoming a blow off horror story.
TIA
What did you say your occupation was!!!:rofl:

OK now to the real part,
-How tight was the bead to the rim, was the tire easy to mount or did it require a bigger tire lever????

If a tire can be put on by hand I wont run it, if it pops on simple with a small plastic lever I wont run it (these are based on DH and most single plys)...

If it was pretty snug then cool and if you soaped up the bead or used sealant to get it to slide easy then it should be OK...

I had loose tires roll off the rim on hard hits or corners especially lower pressure with a loose bead...

Hope that helps.... Its the bead that needs to be snug but if its been soaped up and mounts easy thats nothing to worry about its if it mounts on to the rim easy...

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pretty sure Santos was running that setup for a while with no problems. Granted he is about half your size....

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I was able to mount them without levers just my man hands.

They were flat this morning so I put more air in them.

If they don't keep air in them I'll just got back UST Minions or Hutchinson Barracudas.

On my Havoc AM wheels my normal single ply Maxxis tires have been perfect after they went flat once before riding them. Now they hold air like a champ.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

TIA
Mounted mine up months ago with some Stans and they've been trouble free. I went to a Rain King (now the "Baron") on the front and it's been solid as well.

I think I remember now it took one ride for them to seal up, as they did leak a bit at first... This is the best DH tire/823 combo I've used so far. :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Any tire can go on by hand, including the Maxxis, Michelins and the Contis.

I've been really impressed with the casings on these Kaisers over the Maxxis. Actually, I've been impressed with basically every aspect of those tires over any of the Maxxis offerings.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Darn things keep going flat over night. Once I have my new bike built up I'll find out how long they stay inflated. Hopefully they maintain a constant pressure for several hours.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Darn things keep going flat over night. Once I have my new bike built up I'll find out how long they stay inflated. Hopefully they maintain a constant pressure for several hours.
They'll be fine once you get some ride time on them. It's hard to get Stans to seal all the holes when they aren't getting ridden.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
just be sure to air your tires up really good before you ride. If they start to get low during the ride you can have one blow off. One of my most painful crashes was due to a poorly seated tire blowing off 823's.

I typically just ride around the neighborhood a few times and then see if they stay inflated. Do that a few times before you get out on gnarly stuff.