Quantcast

Derailer bent

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
ok, this sucks. i waited a week to get my new frame in, and in my rush to install stuff the derailer bolt went in crooked. Anyways, there's a bout a 1/2-1 mm difference where the derailer can't touch the hanger. should i try to bend the hanger to adjust for it? it's aluminum so i know it's a bad idea, but otherwise i'd hafta buy a new hanger.. speakin of which, anyone know where i can get one for an '01 KHS fetish?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by crono35
ok, this sucks. i waited a week to get my new frame in, and in my rush to install stuff the derailer bolt went in crooked. Anyways, there's a bout a 1/2-1 mm difference where the derailer can't touch the hanger. should i try to bend the hanger to adjust for it? it's aluminum so i know it's a bad idea, but otherwise i'd hafta buy a new hanger.. speakin of which, anyone know where i can get one for an '01 KHS fetish?
One thing you can do is get a steel derailleur bolt and install it through the other way to chase the threads(if they are not too trashed) Or contact KHS for a new hanger, you should always keep a few on hand anyways.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
I sent two emails, one to KHS and one to the nearest dealer they specified, but neither have replied :( guess i'll try callin em over spring break.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i tried, but the end of the bolt is too shor t to come out on the other end, so it ends up goin in crooked from the other side and undoing the chasing... still no replies from KHS or carriers thereof :(

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I'm pretty sure that is just a standard size metric bolt (probably M8 x 1) you could get one that is long enough at any decent hardware store, just bring a der. bolt to compare size and thread pitch.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
thanks, guys. i'm gonna try that this friday, coz i still hafta find a bolt for my lockout. Speakin of which, is a remote lockout only supposed to, um, lock out? there doesn't seem to be a way to undo the lockout from the handlebar. It's a DNM st-12RC, if you're wondering. thanks, man- you guys are great!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
before you bend it you should try to chase the threads like the other guys have said. But the more professional way to do this is with a tap. A good shop should have a set of the standard bike taps (derailleur hanger bolt, derailleur barrel adjuster bolt, BB, etc).

If you can't get a tap or long bolt, just bend the damn thing for now b/c you should replace it anyway. But there's a special tool for that too that your shop should have, it's a pretty cool one with it's own allignment hub and everything. So don't just grab it with some pliers and bend it to what your eye tells you to, b/c it won't be right once the D is on.