Quantcast

Derailleur

rM_fOe-lIfE

Chimp
Jan 21, 2002
Campbell River
i was lookin at my rear deraillieur because sometimes my gears skip (not sure if it is the Der.) and one of the little wheel things in it(i think they are pulleys) is only half there. im not sure if that is a bad thing if it is, how much would one of those things cost?

G

gravity

only half there? as in half was chipped off or what?

explain further and someone will be able to help. but i'm guessing you'll need a new derailleur at least, and if you've chipped a wheel you've probably put enough torsional stress on your frame that it has microscopic stress fractures in the chainstays, and will need replacing. the high torsional stress has probably also damaged your freewheel in the rear hub, which will also need replacing. torque reactions may also have damaged your cranks/BB especially in regards to imperfect chainline. these should also be replaced. yes it's expensive to chip one of those wheels.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
that's kinda funny, Gravity! :p :p

Now, it sounds like you chipped a jockey wheel. They're no more than $20 to replace, or your shop might even find you a used (but workable) one for really cheap. It should be replaced, and your derailleur should be adjusted if it's not shifting right.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Yeah man, those little wheels are easy to come by, or you could even go nuts and spend an extra couple of bucks for an LX deraileur. They work fine, and cost half of the XT / Sram $$. It would probably address your skipping gears as well. Good luck.:thumb: