Quantcast

Descent into the Maelstrom

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
So I am 5' 5" and have been looking for some time for another very small DH bike like my small 02 DHR. Loved my Demo 7 but just needed something smaller to really fit. Sent Doug at Corsair a few emails and he answered all my questions which made me jump recently to a small Maelstrom frame build.

The bike will get a good bit of hill time this weekend in Windham. Thought I would post up a pic as its a rather unique bike.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
For a shorter guy, I'm curious as to why you didn't run a reducer headset to lower the stack height and run the fork crowns as low as possible. You can benefit from this much more than most other riders.

I know geometry could play into your setup, since that bike is not a DH sled, but the low center of gravity will offset the geometry quirks.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For a shorter guy, I'm curious as to why you didn't run a reducer headset to lower the stack height and run the fork crowns as low as possible. You can benefit from this much more than most other riders.

I know geometry could play into your setup, since that bike is not a DH sled, but the low center of gravity will offset the geometry quirks.
I'd add flat bars and a really low stem (ie. like canfield bros one)

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
DO you happen to have a weight on the frame and the build? I am looking for a DH bike for my wife and she is the same size. Everything so far is just too big and heavy for her.

Sick looking build!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Let us (me) know how it rides...I've loved those bikes for the like 4 years they were in development. Yours looks killer.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .

I am not sure you can run a zero stack in those. They have headset cups already in there so you can adjust the geometry. It comes stock at 66 degrees but you can buy another cup from them that can be rotated to get you 67 degrees one way or 65 degrees the other way.

DO you happen to have a weight on the frame and the build? I am looking for a DH bike for my wife and she is the same size. Everything so far is just too big and heavy for her.

Sick looking build!
I believe they are around 10.5# +/- a bit. I inquired about these and the Crown DH in my latest frame search and if my memory serves me correctly that was were the Maelstrom was. I am sure it doesn't ride like a 10.5# frame given the low CG and that it pedals really well.....from what I heard.

Really nice looking bike. I am digging the white frame w/red fork.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Running with the headset the frame comes with for now. I may change only the upper cup to a low stack reducer type like the Cane Creek XC flush. For now the height feels fine as is. Coming from larger frames I did not want to make too many "feel" changes right off the bat.

With the Boxxer the HA is at 65 degrees with the standard Corsair headset ( very nice headset I may add ) -1 headset would result in a 64 degree HA. Doug at Corsair was very helpful answering setup questions via email.

The frame with rear shock and spring runs just over 10Lbs. Rufus if you are at Windham this weekend you can give me a shout anytime to give it a once over. Should be easy to spot on this bike as in person as its really small.:thumb:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Running with the headset the frame comes with for now. I may change only the upper cup to a low stack reducer type like the Cane Creek XC flush. For now the height feels fine as is. Coming from larger frames I did not want to make too many "feel" changes right off the bat.

With the Boxxer the HA is at 65 degrees with the standard Corsair headset ( very nice headset I may add ) -1 headset would result in a 64 degree HA. Doug at Corsair was very helpful answering setup questions via email.

The frame with rear shock and spring runs just over 10Lbs. Rufus if you are at Windham this weekend you can give me a shout anytime to give it a once over. Should be easy to spot on this bike as in person as its really small.:thumb:
We'll be there, team color Yeti 303R. My wife will be with me as well. We'll swing by with Johnny kranked.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That bike was sick in person. Great attention to detail and great little parts that make it really unique.

Looks like this might be the frame for the wife.

Thanks supa for answering the questions.

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Can some body help me out on this one.
Any idea why corsair decided to integrate the chainguide into the Maelstorm/FR version, but not do the same for the Crown/DH model?
I can obviously see the chain path doesnt run high enough on the Crown to integrate it in to the swingarm, but if they designed the maelstorm to have it built in, why not just do the same for the Crown?
Any insight?

FreshwOOd

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
There are several reasons for no chain tunnel on the Crown, but the most important reason is based on a different pivot location.