Quantcast

Destruction at Duthie -- New Drop Zone & Beginner StepUps Closed

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
Sometime Thurs afternoon a couple of kids destroyed the new beginner step-ups and built their own steeper/bigger lip. So Nolan, Ralph, Kevin & I spent our time yesterday fixing that mess -- instead of building something new. Total waste of time and money that could have been put to better use... all for a few spoiled little brats' few minutes of fun.

With all the new dirt, we have to close the line until we get another wet followed by dry period. Hopefully we'll have it re-opened by next weekend. Please spread the word that it's closed.

Help us put a stop to this crap. If you were riding Duthie on Thursday afternoon and saw anything, please contact me or Kevin. When we find out who did it, we're going to turn it over to King County. In the future, if you see anyone building on a jump line and you don't recognize them, please ask them who they are. Take pictures if you're suspicious. Or call me or Kevin.

Doing this on a beginner line is pretty serious. Several riders I talked to who it hit Thursday evening said it bucked them by surprise. This is the single biggest threat to Duthie.

And it's not just misdemeanor vandalism... when it "knowingly and without authority interferes with any property in a manner so as to endanger others", it can become criminal damage to property.

We'll get signs up, we'll do better locking up the tools, we've added pavers to the lip to make it more difficult to mess with. We'll keep on it, but we need your help to keep an eye out for this kinda #$%**! Thanks.

10percent

Chimp
Sep 8, 2010
I must be new to this game, but generally you never roast a line without seeing it first. Who knows if a tree is down or some kids changed some stuff up. I've never been to Duthie, is it posted to not allow for modifications? help the kids out by allowing them and helping them build they're own line. When your old and unable to hit the" beginner line" you may need to pass the torch off to the next trailboss.

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
I must be new to this game.
Agreed.

Who knows if a tree is down or some kids changed some stuff up.
In this case, it's pretty obvious to anyone over the age of 4.

I've never been to Duthie.
Try riding there once, or at least learn a little about the place, before you post.

Is it posted to not allow for modifications?
Yes, on the main kiosk.

help the kids out by allowing them and helping them build they're own line.
Agreed. That's how Duthie has been built and Phase 2 will be built. That beginner FR line... clearing the whole area, drops, stepups, etc. was primarily built by kids this summer. They invested a lot of their summer time doing it right. They are all advanced riders and want to also build more advanced lines. They will. But then there will probably be more of the spoiled brat lil' bastard types who want to come in after all the hard work has been done and destroy that, too. That's why we need help from the community to keep an eye out.

When your old and unable to hit the" beginner line" you may need to pass the torch off to the next trailboss.
Agreed. The skill levels of all the trail leaders at Duthie match or exceed the lines they are building. DWBs, Dirt Corps, Highlife Crew, Zeb/Leif, Jamie/friends/family of RyanP, etc. However, it's challenging to build *below* your skill level. On this beginner FR line, we need more beginners & intermediate riders helping out and even taking the lead. The highest priority in Phase 2 is to fill the gaps in progression between the FR lines. This new line is being built to fill the skills gap between the Luna lines and 2Hi. After we fill those gaps, we get to build more advanced schtuff.

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
It looks like I either overestimate the intelligence levels -or- underestimate the deviousness of adults. Apparently it's not just "spoiled brat lil' bastards" destroying the jumps. I just heard from someone who was riding there Thursday evening and saw an adult with 2 kids working with shovels and digging up the stepups.

• For the mentally challenged: Looks like we need more signs.
  • For the devious: Looks like we need to haul tool lock boxes out on the trails.

I'll get on it, but what a pain in the ass and expensive... when those resources could go into building new schweeet trails and features.

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
Damn, I was looking forward to checking out the new section, for the first time, this upcoming week. What a bummer that a couple people, regardless of age, had to go and burn so much previous hard work.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Man, this kind of sh*t is so frustrating! The only way I have had successfully prevented people from changing things to their liking is by making things too big for them to modify/ knock over into a table top in less than 10 minutes.

That's been my experience, but I think the key is making it difficult to change obstacles/trails. Pavers and locked up tools sound like a great idea.

Good luck!

dicey

Chimp
I must be new to this game, but generally you never roast a line without seeing it first. Who knows if a tree is down or some kids changed some stuff up. I've never been to Duthie, is it posted to not allow for modifications? help the kids out by allowing them and helping them build they're own line. When your old and unable to hit the" beginner line" you may need to pass the torch off to the next trailboss.
This trail system has a management and maintenance crew in place. It is not the responsibility of the trail crew to notify the public or trail users how the system works. It is the responsibility of the new comers/trail users to learn the system that is already in place; you know the the system that was created by someones else's hard work. This is common sense:thumb:
Is this is all still confusing to you? Here is a simple rule to live by; if you didn't build it; don't f**k with it.:rant:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Sucks to hear, Mike. We're currently wasting our valuable time on the DWB line (Paramount) closing off the multiple cheat-ins that are popping up along our trail. I can't figure out why people can't hit a relatively small bridge-drop with a straight run-in at the beginning of our line (which happens to be one of the advanced-skills lines) and opting instead to "drop-in" over the top of a berm, thus blowing said berms out.

Another thing - PACK OUT YOUR FREAKING BOTTLES/TRASH!!!!!!!!! It was heavier when you brought it in, so why is it so difficult to take it with you when it's empty??? I've lost sleep on this subject. Really.

Things are getting stupid out there and I know people aren't that dumb.

/rant

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
by the way someone shaved off some of the corral on our line....seriously, WTF! If you cant hit a 3 foot drop, there is no way you are hitting the steep down so ride another trail.