Quantcast

Details on the Chutes & Ladders freeride comp in Ashland this Saturday?

I have called the promoters and the sponsors to get more details, especially a rider list, so I can determine a) whether to go down there to shoot and b) how to pitch the idea to my editors. So far I've heard nothing. Does anyone out there know who's riding or have details about the course beyond the pix at the event site?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I was just building up there earlier today and would really suggest you come down to shoot. The course is massive already and just getting bigger.

The riders that I have heard are coming are: Darren Berrecloth, Cam Mccaul, Tyler Mccaul, Kurt Voreis. I bet there will be more but those are the ones who seem are going to be there for sure.

I would suggest contacting Seth Rand for more info as he is basically running the whole thing.

http://www.3amevents.net/contactapril.htm

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
i talked to the red bull man in charge about a month ago, gave us a demo flyer and the course looked nutz. but why oregon? i hope it gets good coverage atleast. if i still had the flyer i'd scan/post it up but it's at the shop somewhere

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This event did nto get enough media coverage, it's like nobody has heard of it and now it's the 11th hour. Oh well what a bummer...

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
whoa that looks pretty crazy...this was the first I heard of it as well. Was there any promotion? Ashland, that's pretty close to ....nowhere right

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
trailhacker said:
Is the idea to drop off the upper bridge to the tranny of the lower bridge?
If so it looks like you would launch to you untimely death off the roller coaster section???
No, there is a landing on the other side of the coaster.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
I just got off the phone with some friends that are down there and they said it is huge, big gaps and big drops. I think I have one of my friends convince to pull a heel clicker off one of the drops will see if he balls up and does it.
Well I wish I was there. Good luck to all.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
thruster said:
It was canceled :mad: Something about it was to wet yeh right :mad:
The city also called Seth at 5:00 this morning and decided to finally let him know that the insurence he was using did not cover "wooden structures". That and the rain led them to move it back two weeks.

People were hitting stuff still and I got some pictures that I'll put in a thread in the DH forum a little later.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
So when is the event resheduled for? In a way it worked out well that they didn't promote well. I'd be pissed if I drove 8 hours and then the event got cancelled for bad insurance etc.

Get those pics up jeenyus!

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
I think they are full of it, for one the City would not call them at 5:00am in the morning on a Saturday to tell them that they need to cancel it because of the wooden structures nice try but I am not buying it. I just talk to some people that were there to ride and they are super pissed they had said that the ground was not bad at all and they would of hit it but was told they could not ride it. They had spent 70 dollars for a hotel on Friday night a 4 hour drive there and 4 hr back and $40 dollars sent in to prereg. for the event and didn't even get there money back. If it was me I would have made them go to the cash machine and start paying up. O'well it wasn't my money.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
thruster said:
I think they are full of it, for one the City would not call them at 5:00am in the morning on a Saturday to tell them that they need to cancel it because of the wooden structures nice try but I am not buying it. I just talk to some people that were there to ride and they are super pissed they had said that the ground was not bad at all and they would of hit it but was told they could not ride it. They had spent 70 dollars for a hotel on Friday night a 4 hour drive there and 4 hr back and $40 dollars sent in to prereg. for the event and didn't even get there money back. If it was me I would have made them go to the cash machine and start paying up. O'well it wasn't my money.
Dude. The people putting this on have put their lives on hold for the last 3 weeks to get this competiton going and put a hell of a lot of money into it also. They would not just cancel it if the riding conditions were not perfect.

Sean, pics will be up in the DH forum within the hour.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
Don't get me wrong I totally understand putting in the hard work. I am just saying that I don't buy the city calling at 5:00am on a Saturday. I hope that Seth will refund everyones money that can not attend in the next two weeks.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
thruster said:
Don't get me wrong I totally understand putting in the hard work. I am just saying that I don't buy the city calling at 5:00am on a Saturday. I hope that Seth will refund everyones money that can not attend in the next two weeks.
For entry fee's and such, I'm almost positive he will. Not for transportation and lodging though...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
some ones gonna die then...its so soft and those drops are too big for a comp open to everyone...if you case that big one or get bucked your gonna flapjack to the flats and die..they should have built a helipad

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
wydopen said:
some ones gonna die then...its so soft and those drops are too big for a comp open to everyone...if you case that big one or get bucked your gonna flapjack to the flats and die..they should have built a helipad
That's kinda what I was thinking...

I might try to go up there for the reschedule, are you going up again?

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
it's a redbull gig and they have muchos bling. money shouldn't be too much a problem for em.

remapge is no more correct? maybe this could be the new deal if it works.

but still, who likes oregon? :P

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
no sean im going back to sb on sat. and the last thing i want to do is drive back up

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Actually, Ashland and Southern Oregon has a great riding scene. It's still below most people's radar, but it won't stay that way for long.

Ashland is about to blow up. Hopefully the trails will stay open with more riders coming into the area.

I started a scene report on my site:

http://www.ihatebikes.net/pictures.html

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If all goes well I'll be up-and-coming to Oregon soon. Permanently. I'll be checking out Medford, Ashland and Bend. What's the freeride/DH scene like? I know there is plenty of great XC and I love that too but I am wondering about DH. I know from Toshi and others that Hood river is dope but that's far enough from Bend let alone Med/Ash.

I also hope to come up for the rescheduled event if possible.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
wydopen said:
no sean im going back to sb on sat. and the last thing i want to do is drive back up
me and carlos duné might go, might as well pile in the silver taco...

Also you should check out the downhill race at Elings park on June 11th. I hear they worked on the course and it's fun although short. I'm coming down for it.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
punkassean said:
If all goes well I'll be up-and-coming to Oregon soon. Permanently. I'll be checking out Medford, Ashland and Bend. What's the freeride/DH scene like? I know there is plenty of great XC and I love that too but I am wondering about DH. I know from Toshi and others that Hood river is dope but that's far enough from Bend let alone Med/Ash.

I also hope to come up for the rescheduled event if possible.
I would stay away from Medford. That place is just one big meth lab.

Our Freeride/DH scene down here in Southern Oregon is pretty good. Most of the trails would be suited perfectly to your bike setup and we have the occasional big gapper/dropper built off to the side.

A problem with Ashland though is the $$$ housing here is insanely expensive. Maybe check out Phoenix or Talent for some regular priced deals.

Mt. Hood is about an 8 hours trip if your moving at a so-so clip and Tahoe is around the same (maybe a little less).

Another addition to the bike community down here would be more then welcome :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
At this point, Bend is #1 on the list for me and I guess with your input Ashland is #2 followed by Methford at #3.

Hopefully I'll see ya at the comp, if not I'll be up that way for sure in early June. Thanks for the tips!

DirtSquirt

Chimp
Mar 2, 2005
To the right of Seattle
Check out www.westsidefreeride.com and go to the photo gallery. There's some sick pics riders going off the Show Stopper. Even Mike Metzger showed up for this.

Also there's a explanation as to what happened and why the event was cancelled. A good friend of mine went down with others and still decided to make the trip worth it. Click on the bulletin board, bullentin board again, and go to the heading "chutes and ladders......sort of". :thumb:

DirtSquirt :D