Quantcast

Deviant Trail

sweetbabyd

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Bucks County, PA
i was wondering... what are some thoughts on the last small table tops on Deviant?

i can never make the transitions on Dominion, so when i found the small jumps on Deviant, i was happy - until i tried to hit them with some speed. i thought the lips threw you kind of weird - the back of the bike kicks up way too fast.

but then again, i'm weird...

Aug 18, 2008
yeah the lips throw you weird..i always land with the back end kicked up. my buddy told me that the lips are actually shorter than a bike length so thats why it kicks your back end up

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The first one always feels a bit funny, but the 2nd two I usually clear with no problem. I've also heard the thing about the front ends being less than a bike length, so that explanation makes sense. They're still fun though because even if you fall over there you'll probably just be able to get up and keep riding. Fall on lower dominion, however...

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
When I hit the jumps on upper and lower dominion, especially the last two of either one, too fast I usually dead sailor them. I suppose i get scared that im going to fast. Maybe it's just from going too fast on them.

I've gone down deviant twice and I didn't like how the lips were built. I think the transitions are way too far and when you try to get decent air and preload and launch off them it makes you go nose down. I say lower the lips and make the transition closer to go with diablos "progression" way of building some trails and let newer riders get the feeling of getting air without much injury by riding too fast.

The dominions are good, if you don't feel confident you just roll up them.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The dominions are good, if you don't feel confident you just roll up them.
This is probably the mentality that helps make diablo lack big gaps, risky stunts etc... Besides the nice super gnarly rock gardens.

All of the above, including this thread, LEARN TO JUMP better. And the ones on devient and dominion are a lot of fun, because if you want you can boost them so high. If you have a problem with going fast on deviant, just do a little scrub. If you look at the landings on dominion, they are massive.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
When you're doing jumps where the takeoff is short like the Deviant tabletops, lean back a bit so you put most of your weight on the back tire, that will keep you from getting kicked upon take off.

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
if you stay a little to the right on the lips of the jumps there are small ruts that over time have shown up that seem to throw you better. but the only real solution to getting it down is learning to jump better. its dirt. if you fall its not gonna be bad.

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
i had to add this in as well

I say lower the lips and make the transition closer to go with diablos "progression" way of building some
they wont do it because those 3 jumps are smaller then the ones a started on when i was 7. grow some balls and hit the jumps.

Belfskins

Monkey
Jun 2, 2008
dirty jerz
if you fall its not gonna be bad.
false. yesterday i hit road to nowehre for the first time. thinking that it would be like flume i pedaled to the end of the bridge in about 5th gear and landed on the dirt. yes, i overcleared the rock and landed on the dirt. i landed on the dirt, bounced up, went sideways, landed on more dirt, twisted my stem, bent my hangar, and it hurt very very much.

road2nowhere

Monkey
May 13, 2007
haha, ok so we went from falling on small dirt jumps going 10mph to a large drop and falling on rough rocky fire road material going 25mph.........case closed

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
The first one always feels a bit funny, but the 2nd two I usually clear with no problem. I've also heard the thing about the front ends being less than a bike length, so that explanation makes sense. They're still fun though because even if you fall over there you'll probably just be able to get up and keep riding. Fall on lower dominion, however...
agreed....

Attachments

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
false. yesterday i hit road to nowehre for the first time. thinking that it would be like flume i pedaled to the end of the bridge in about 5th gear and landed on the dirt. yes, i overcleared the rock and landed on the dirt. i landed on the dirt, bounced up, went sideways, landed on more dirt, twisted my stem, bent my hangar, and it hurt very very much.
he was talking about deviant. but hope your ok, that would of been pretty sick on vid.... ohh well, theres always next time!:lighten:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
i was wondering... what are some thoughts on the last small table tops on Deviant?

i can never make the transitions on Dominion, so when i found the small jumps on Deviant, i was happy - until i tried to hit them with some speed. i thought the lips threw you kind of weird - the back of the bike kicks up way too fast.

but then again, i'm weird...
Yeah like that NJMX835 said, keep your weight back. For beginners I think the jumps on Dominion are more learner-friendly but what do I know? Heck, those 3 small Deviants are more fun then Dominion... so much faster & they pop you up perfect.

Last edited:

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
Yeah like that NJMX835 said, keep your weight back. For beginners I think the jumps on Dominion are more learner-friendly but what do I know? Heck, those 3 small Deviants are more fun then Dominion... so much faster & they pop you up perfect.
i never hit them yet, was out for most the season when most the trails were always closed. and devient wasnt finished yet.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
I suppose it's all a matter of opinion but I could ride lower dominion all day. the jumps on deviant require effort to land on the transition and not to flat ground. I think they're good for the park but don't think they're good for anyone who can actually jump. I think The jumps on upper/lower dominion are good because you can hit them at whatever speed you want and still land on the transition. Weather you want to fly low or boost it you can ride the whole line with flow.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I have to agree on the first one throwing you weird. I almost ate it on my first run of the season last weekend. I thought I was super rusty or something...turns out its the jump.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
why are we complaining about two foot table tops when clearly the people that complain about them dont know how to dirt jump. might i suggest making a trip to your local dirt jumps and learning how to ride

Sep 23, 2007
might i suggest making a trip to your local dirt jumps and learning how to ride
might i suggest a hell no? if you can't ride the tables at diablo please do not show up to your local DJ's and try to ride. you will get hurt.

the point of the tables at diablo is to learn how to DJ.

if you are having trouble riding them, just keep at it until your comfortable.

you wanna know the secret to DJ'ing? it's called practice...

Roskos

Chimp
Sep 14, 2007
Lakewood, NJ
Since we're on the subject of jumping, I got a lot out of the Fundamentals and Fluid Ride "Like a Pro" DVDs. They have really good breakdowns on jumping technique. Brian Lopes' book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills also has a really good chapter on jumping.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Since we're on the subject of jumping, I got a lot out of the Fundamentals and Fluid Ride "Like a Pro" DVDs. They have really good breakdowns on jumping technique. Brian Lopes' book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills also has a really good chapter on jumping.
woah woah woah woah woah.... woah. i dont think you realize how lucky you are to live in lakewood. you live next to the incline club. you have the mercedes of areas to progress. you dont need videos when you have a foam pit and resi ramp to go to any practice basically anything you want.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Yeah, it's nice dodging sugar-spiked kids on scooters, but I'd rather be outside.
true true. i know exactly what you mean though. thpse scooter kids go outside and snort lines of sugar come in and do some crazy stuff. there are a lot of them though. outside is always good. have you ever seen one of them do a scooter flip tailwhip. the kids at the woodbridge skatepark are amazing too. you cant even make fun of them

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Let's sum this thread up...

Some people aren't all that great at jumping. Just go to a skate park and find a small box, ride street, or ride on some local dj's if you have them... ON A HARDTAIL. They aren't nearly as forgiving, so your margine for error is obviously decreased, making you a better jumper.

You'll learn to clear a lip when you case a few times with a hardtail.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Let's sum this thread up...

Some people aren't all that great at jumping. Just go to a skate park and find a small box, ride street, or ride on some local dj's if you have them... ON A HARDTAIL. They aren't nearly as forgiving, so your margine for error is obviously decreased, making you a better jumper.

You'll learn to clear a lip when you case a few times with a hardtail.
thats what i tried to say but im a jerk