Quantcast

Devil's Den, AR

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
My 13 year old son and I went to ride the Devil's Den trails today in NW Arkansas. I rode a race there about 4 years ago, but today was my first time since then. It was excellent. Those ozarkoffroaders have done some great work there. We would have spent the day there except for a mechanical on my son's bike, but we still got in several miles anyway. Cool spot to ride if anyone is looking in that area...

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
I take it you rode the fossil flats loop if you enjoyed the ride. It is pretty sweet, especially once you get back into the single track. Now I can't say the same for the Blackburn/Holt road loop, it is just too loose and rocky in places to enjoy. It does get into some nice single track at times but by the time you get to them you are already so aggrevated from all the loose rocky climbs that you just dont get to enjoy, at least thats how it has been in the past in the race. Seems like I heard a rumor that they have been working on some new single track on the Blackburn/Holt road loop but we didnt ride it in the race this year. If you are looking for a place to go camp and spend the weekend Devils Den is great, one of the best state parks I have ever stayed in. You should come try some of our other trails over here if you liked the Den, Spring Hill is right there in Fort Smith, which is a blast if you like tight fast single track with very minimal climbing. Plus we have The Womble, The Ouachita Trail, Old Post, Camp Robinson (CARP)... Etc... if you have the time to travel on into the state.... Check out www.ambcs.com for more info on Arkansas trails and races.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Hey AR- actually we did ride the blackburn loop, and yes it does have some rocky sections but where I live it's even rockier, believe it or not, and ours are flint rocks instead of sandstone. There was one cobbly long climb way back in there where I laughed at my son trying to negotiate some rocks for quite awhile hehe. I have some land down by Natural Dam (about 15 miles SW of Devil's Den) where I'm building a cabin so I have spent some time in the area. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive for us to DD but worth it. You are right, there is some sweet single track but I always forget where it is unless I have somebody with me who knows it better.

You may have already seen this, but here's another AR link:

http://www.ozarkoffroadcyclists.com/

Another good trail over in that area is Lake Wedington, have you ever done that one?

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Ya, I've heard of the OORC website, but havent been on it in a while. There's a link to it on AMBCS.

I've never ridden Wedington, but I have heard of it. Isn't there also a point to point trail going from Lake Ft. Smith park up to the Den? I guess the only other trail I have ridden up in that neck of the woods would be the 2 Dogs trail in Fayetteville, I thought it was really sweet. Its about 95% single track and gets technical in a few areas. I live down in the central part of the state, so its about an 1 1/2 hr. drive myself to get up to that area.

Sometime when you are here in the state working on your cabin or staying there (when you get it built) you should take a day and go down to Mt. Ida and ride the Womble trail, should be about an 1 1/2-2 hr drive from there. If you havent already been down there, of course if you have then you will be planning to go back I am sure... :D It is probably the best trail we have in the state, actually it was featured in Bike Magazine a year or so ago as one of their "Epic" trails.

Any good trails over in OK? I have a buddy that lives on the OK/AR border and he keeps telling me about one just over into OK that is supposed to be really good, but I cant remember the name of it. I told him I would come over and ride it sometime this winter, but I havent had the chance to get over there yet.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I haven't been to Womble (yet), but I plan to go next spring for the seaon opener ride. Most of the guys I ride with have been there and they all liked it. I live about half-way between Tulsa and the AR state line. We have several good places to ride, one is Turkey Mtn just west of Tulsa along the Arkansas river. Another good one is down around Lake Greenleaf. There are other local trails but nothing to compare to Devil's Den.

You say there is a trail from Lake Ft Smith to DD? I have hiked some of that country, that's the biggest part of the Ozarks if I'm not mistaken. I always thought that would be an excellent place to build a long trail but I didn't know there was already one there. I really don't know anybody down there local but there is a surprisingly big group of mtn bikers in eastern OK, most of us travel down that way for long day trips to places somebody just "heard" about. That's how we usually find these places.

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
i used to live in eureka springs. ive been back a couple of times since and found some killer dh trails...much steeper than here in austin. i'd love to get back up there some time and do some more riding. any other dh trails you guys know of?

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
A lot of the XC races here have a DH race the same day. I know at the fall Devil's Den race they had one last year. You wouldn't think it but there are lots of good places around east OK and west AR to build DH courses, but it has just started to catch on around here. The land where I am going to build a cabin has about 600' of drop in about 1/2 mile and I plan to build one there. It should be good, lots of cliffs and big drops. I'll post a link to some pictures of it below. Maybe ARmtnBIKER could tell more about DH over in Arkansas. I know one of the local bike shops told me that they were starting to get more questions about these bikes, maybe it will catch on. We will probly never have a dh course with a lift and 2,000 ft drops in elevation won't happen but there's still potential. Plus we have plenty of oxygen to breath down here. I have a Jeep, maybe I can tie a rope to the bumper and drag people to the top heheh...

http://www.geocities.com/mdwsr/stilwell.html

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
that looks like my backyard when i lived there. how far north are you. eureka is right in the corner with ok and mo. about 50 miles from fayetteville. that last pictures looks like a lot of fun. i can picture a winding trail hitting those rock drops to a sweet little bridge across the creek.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
My land is about 30 miles north of Ft. Smith, it is in Oklahoma, but my east border is the AR state line. It was landlocked until this year, I spent the summer and fall getting a road easement through the Ozark National forest (what a pain) and about 3 weeks ago we could finally, for the first time, drive to the waterfall you can see in one of the pictures. I'm planning on starting my cabin this winter, then the trails, but after building about 1/2 mile of road and negotiating with the feds all that time I am a little burned out. The trail I want to build will start at the top of the hill and end after about a 6-8 ft drop, then crossing the creek below the waterfall. Cabin will be there for breaks between mondo downhill runs. There's also several miles of fire roads in the Nat'l forest that are good too. It will be sweet when it's all done, I just have a LOT of work to do... And it's about a 2 hour drive one way from home. I can think of much worse problems to have so I will stop whining and be happy now...

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
well look me up when you start building. id love to check that out. i figured that going back to eureka is close enough for a long weekend trip and your even closer. give me a call when you start digging trails.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
You bet, I plan on having a big bash once I get some trails going, I will post it. It may be next spring though. I have a couple of winter projects going, one is building a new DH bike. Once I get that one finished and probly after Christmas I will be back to work down there...

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Mike, looks like you've got some great land to build some trails on, I am jealous... :D As far as downhilling in Arkansas goes, well there just isnt much here, I think they are working on getting a downhill series going this year, which I figure if they do it will take off pretty good. They did have a downhill race at Devils Den this year plus I think they have one at the Cass race. I watched the one at DD, it was alright, I know a couple of the guys that raced it and they were saying it was pretty tame, mostly just an old logging road that had lots of rocks on it. They did have one jump built at the bottom that if you hit it there was probably a 10-15' drop to the transition. Saw some pretty good tricks there, and one real good crash, thought the dude was going to get seriously hurt, he somehow went between 2 trees in the air that couldnt of been 2 feet apart... lucky, very lucky... :eek: Downhil, you might check out www.ambcs.com in a month or so and see if they put up a schedule for a downhill series for '03.

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
cool guys, thanks for the info. what kind of dh bike are you building up mike? there was really know organization racing wise, when i was living up there. but it was also 92 or 93 so mountain biking wasn't quite what it is today. i figured there isn't many actual courses, but i know that there is tons of potential up there. all around eureka there are huge runs. where i lived there was a long fire road that led to an old reservoir that was about 2 miles long, it had to be about a 700 foot drop. so like you were saying mike, there is definitely some hills out there. all this reminiscing has me planning a long weekend trip. maybe in the next month or so.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
You say there is a trail from Lake Ft Smith to DD?
Just remembered you asked this... he he, sorry... I have never ridden the trail myself, not sure what it consists of or anything, but I do know when they have the Mtn Bike festival in the spring at the Den they have a group ride that goes from the lake to the park. :p

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Right now I'm riding a Diamondback XSL, but a couple weeks ago I finally broke down and ordered a Santa Cruz Bullit frame. I've been watching the 4X and dual slalom races on OLN for a long time and it looks like something I would like to do, besides I'm too old and fat to race XC any more. Also it can't be more dangerous than MX, definately less expensive, so I've been posting questions all over the net the last month or so asking questions about DH bikes. Man, they are getting technical! Anyway, looks like I will end up with the Bullit frame, Super T fork, triple ring for climbability, and still deciding on a few more things. It'll make the winter pass a little smoother, and with this snowy cold weather right now it's a good time to sit at the computer and study up on all kinds of ways to spend my hard earned cash heheh. Hopefully in a week or two my frame will get here and I can start slapping it together out in the shop. Should for sure be ready by spring...

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
cool, thats a really versatile setup. you'll ride that thing everywhere. i have a dh bike, but mostly rode my street hardtail everywhere (till the steerer broke and the headtube exploded). since you have a moto background, are you going to dig any doubles along your course?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have been going up to Ft Smith from Shreveport, LA just about every weekend ;) .

I am DYING to ride Devil's Den! Is there some other places closer to Ft Smith to ride as well???

Thanks!
-N8

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I'm not sure about near Ft Smith, but I'll put some links below where you might be able to find something. Devil's Den is a good drive from there, just go north on AR59 thru Cedarville, then turn right onto 270. 270 turns into a gravel road about 5 miles or so from DD but it's worth the trip, real nice country. Also you cross Lee Creek on that highway. Where else but AR will you find a state highway that is gravel? :p

There is no riding in the park itself, but just outside the park (south) on National Forest land. You can get a map of the trails at the visitor's center inside the park. If you've never neem there it's definately worth the trip...

http://www.ozarkoffroadcyclists.com/
http://www.ambcs.com./
http://www.uark.edu/ALADDIN/bco/
http://www.cox-internet.com/bmcracing/index.htm

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Hey N8, what route do you take to get from Shreveport to Fort Smith, I can give you a run down of the trails you pass on your way up. You might decide to stop and give some of them a ride sometime. As far as right around the Fort Smith area the only thing I know of is Spring Hill Park in Barling, its at the Lock and Dam, very sweet tight single track with no climbing. Its a 10 mile loop, the only draw back is they will close it down during the winter once it gets wet, but they will have a sign at the main gate going into the park telling whether its open or closed. Check out that OORC (Ozark Off Road Cyclists) web site that mike linked you too, they should have directions to all the Fort Smith/Fayetteville area trails.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I take Hwy 71 north from S'port to Ft Smith. I have seen the trail head to one trail just a few miles north of Mena (in the National Forest) on the west side of the road. There is a MTB Icon at the trail marker. But I haven't had the chance to stop and ride it.

Any info would be appreciated!

-N8

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Devil's Den is a good drive from there, just go north on AR59 thru Cedarville, then turn right onto 270. 270 turns into a gravel road about 5 miles or so from DD but it's worth the trip, real nice country. Also you cross Lee Creek on that highway. Where else but AR will you find a state highway that is gravel?
Mike, wouldnt it be quicker for him to hit 40 East to Alma and then hit 540 North, then take the first exit passed the tunnel, I think it is the Winslow exit, there is a sign telling you to turn left to go to Devils Den. Its probably a little longer mile wise but would be a lot quicker, it just seems, especially since he wouldn't be traveling that fine gravel state highway... he he... Hey that just made me think, the DD downhill course is on that Hwy 220? right before you get into the park, its on the left just before you cross a creek and get to the horse camp...

N8, sorry, not sure I will be much help with Trails around your route, I was thinking that you probably came up I-30 to Little Rock and then hit I-40 west, but now that I think about it that would be a long ways out of your way.. If you are interested in trails along your way check out www.bikearkansas.com or www.ambcs.com there should be a link to a site for trails in the Ouachita's, I cant remember what the specific link is off the top of my head. If you go onto our message board on ambcs the moderator "MenaMike" can help you with trails in that area, in fact he's the one that runs the other site with the Ouachita trails listed. I know there are several within 20-30 minutes of the Mena area, like Womble, Big Brushy, Hurricane ridge, Ouachita trail, and I am sure there are others I am not familiar with.... Also, if you are into Epic or adventure type rides, check out www.ouachitachallenge.com its a 60 mile adventure race/ride in March that covers the Womble trail and the Ouachita trail.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Ya man, saw the video... I was actually in it for about 5 seconds... I am all the way to the left of the camera when the race starts, I am the guy in the blue and white shorts and jersey...

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
Mike, wouldnt it be quicker for him to hit 40 East to Alma and then hit 540 North, then take the first exit passed the tunnel, I think it is the Winslow exit, there is a sign telling you to turn left to go to Devils Den. Its probably a little longer mile wise but would be a lot quicker, it just seems, especially since he wouldn't be traveling that fine gravel state highway... he he... Hey that just made me think, the DD downhill course is on that Hwy 220? right before you get into the park, its on the left just before you cross a creek and get to the horse camp...
I never thought of that, but yes if coming in to Ft Smith from the east it would probably be much easier going through Winslow. I always come in from the NW so I've never been that way but it do look easier on a map.

Womble is supposed to be a supreme trail down by Mena. I haven't ridden it (yet) but I plan to next spring. Some people I ride with go there alot.

I was wondering where the DH race was, I know that creek you are talking about. I've been trying to get with some of those arkansasyers to do some whitewater kayaking over in that area, they tell me it's hard to beat when there is water, and I think that is one of the creeks they do...

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
Hey Downhil and Mike, they just posted our race schedule for the year and there are two Downhill events on it for now, check it out... http://www.ambcs.com/Calendar/calendar.html
cool thanks for the heads up. ill try to make it to both of those. which course do you guys think is steeper? maybe i can stay up there all month and ride in eureka in between the races.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
I couldn't tell you, the Richter course is new. Last year they did the One eye dog course, but I didnt see it. I do know the xc course at OED had a pretty technical descent on it so I would figure the DH course there would be pretty good. I can't believe they dont have the Devils Den course on there, because it was supposed to of been a huge success. Maybe they will add it on sometime later.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Any of you Den'ers know where I can find a map of the den? I'm thinking about making another trip this weekend, and want to see more without getting lost. I road there a couple years ago with some people who knew it well, we did a lot of single track too that the boy and I didn't find the other day.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Just go to the visitor's center in the park, they have maps, you may have to pay a buck or two for them but they do have one. You are really supposed to stop by there anyway and sign in if you are riding the blackburn or holt road loops, not sure if you knew that. They will give you what they call a backwoods pass to put on your dash when you park up top. Be sure and go ride the Fossil Flats section if you have time, its a small 3-4 mile loop that starts at the back side of camping loop "A" To me it is much more fun than the other trails, even though it is short it gets into a short stretch of single track that is pretty sweet, plus there is the "Gravity Cavity" Lets just say its named correctly, its like a half pipe made out of dirt, I have a pic of me riding through it somewhere around here, if I can find where I saved it I will post it... What day are you going to ride?

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Mike, here's a pic of me going through the Gravity Cavity this year at the State Championships. The picture doesnt do it justice, its about a 15' drop into the hole and then straight back up, the angle of the camera at the time of the picture was pretty much straight down and I was coming straight up towards it. There's really nothing techincal to it (but it sure does give you a rush), its very smooth, as long as you shift your weight right and keep the bike straight gravity does the rest for you. You would be surprised at the amount of people that are scared to go through this, even during a race. Crowds all gather around it to watch, especially when the beginners come through...

Attachments

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Cool! that's the kind of stuff my son drools over. I've seen the fossil flats sign but never rode there (yet).

I'm not absolutely sure we are going this weekend, the den is a 2 plus hour drive and it's worth it when dry, but it's marginal when it's wet. That place can get pretty ugly when it's wet. I'll let you know if we go but will most likely be sunday.

And I knew we were supposed to check in at the center, didn't know we were supposed to get a badge (obviously we never check in hehe). I'll check in next time if only to get the map...

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
I think it can get pretty muddy in some sections, I know at the race this year there were a couple of muddy sections when you got to the bottom of the big down hill, but that stretch isnt very long. Probably the biggest thing you have to watch there is the creek crossings, I can imagine they can get up pretty big after a rain, but I dont think we've had enough to get them too hight yet...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I hiked Lee Creek Park in Van Buren, AR New Year's... That is some sweeeeeet looking trail over there. Heaps of tough technical stuff... Not a long trail but I think if you rode all the loops you'd be in the 6-7 mile range...

Anyone know some specific's on this trail?