Quantcast

Devils Gulch 5/29/04

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
So I hear that Devils gulch is a pretty nice ride... Being that everyone and their brother will be at Whistler this weekend, I thought we'd head over to the gulch. Is the snow melted? Any good links to reviews and directions, this will be our first time hitting it up. Is it shuttlable?

Break it on down for me if ya could! Were thinking the westside is going to be too wet with all this crap weather so it looks as though the eastside is in order for some good riding...hopefully!:confused:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i very well might join you on this run....
i gotta check with some pals we were talking of doing Gailbraith, but it's pretty sloppo on this side maybe hittin some Devils Gulch would be the ticket..... i'll keep you posted.....

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
trail is pretty much clear. I would suggest doing an mid to late morning ride, as we've had thunderstorms the last several days starting about 4pm.

you can shuttle the Gulch... but you'll probably only be good for one ride. It's long. There's a hard way to shuttle and an easy way.

Hard way is, park at the bottom or in Cashmere at the Elementary School, drive through Wenatchee up to the Beehive Road, and then up the to Trail Head. (about a 30-45 minute drive)

Easier Way is, Park at the bottom and drive of the FS Road to the top. I believe you come to 2 intersection/junctions... at both, always turn right. (abut a 30 minute drive) I don't know the numbers of the FS roads... nor the names of the roads in Cashmere to get to the bottom of the trail, but i could get you there if i were driving :)

You'd be best off trying to hook with someone who's ridden it before. Like Skooky;)

Also, there are some places on the Gulch where other trails cross and take off from.

If you come, bring plenty of mosquito repelant!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by WARider
So I hear that Devils gulch is a pretty nice ride... Being that everyone and their brother will be at Whistler this weekend, I thought we'd head over to the gulch. Is the snow melted? Any good links to reviews and directions, this will be our first time hitting it up. Is it shuttlable?

Break it on down for me if ya could! Were thinking the westside is going to be too wet with all this crap weather so it looks as though the eastside is in order for some good riding...hopefully!:confused:
We went last fall and I would suggest riding a trailbike or hardtail on it, even if you shuttle it. Some of the sections are flat.

I think the BBTC is holding a ride over there this weekend too.

If you are going over you should post the day and time. I think with the weather being so crappy up north more people are staying in town.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by DHRacer

If you come, bring plenty of mosquito repelant!
good call, i always forget.....

thanx for the 411, you rock!

Any word on the upper section of Mission Ridge Trail?........... 600 feet higher.......

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by Skookum
good call, i always forget.....

thanx for the 411, you rock!

Any word on the upper section of Mission Ridge Trail?........... 600 feet higher.......
I haven't been up on that one yet, so not totally sure, but from town, you can still some snow up there... i would imagine it's rideable, but you might have to walk/ride over a snow pack here or there?

as for which bike to bring, one with some gear choices would be a good idea. I've ridden my Super 8 down a couple times, but i've had a 32th chain ring on the front, which wasn't too bad... i definitely had to push up out of the steeper creek crossings though. (DG is fun on a full squish though, cuz you can go screaming fast! :D

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
THanks fella's,

We'll be leaving Puyallup area around 8am tomorrow(Saturday) to head on over. I'm not sure how long it takes to get there, or how to get there, or where to go, etc...:confused:

If any of you want to come, the more the marrier. As of right now its my friend Jacob and I, and then we pick up a couple of guys in Ellensburg on the way. Skook, if you want to show us around we'd be stoked for sure! Shoot me an email, my name's Josh and my friend's are Jacob & Craig, were in our mid twenties and pretty chill so if your younger or older it's all good!

If any of you could write down some directions, that would be choice and if anyone else wants to drive to where we could get a few truck loads of "Monkey's" going, that would be pimpin'! Off to go crank some wrench's on bikes but I'll be back here on the comp tonight, talk to yah then.

~J

:cool:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Make sure you stop for lunch at the burger stand just outside of Cashmere. I'm not sure the name but it's right by a gas station with a Subway in it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Skook, if you want to show us around we'd be stoked for sure! Shoot me an email, my name's Josh and my friend's are Jacob & Craig, were in our mid twenties and pretty chill so if your younger or older it's all good!
Cool i just turned 16, maybe you guys could buy me some cigarrettes and beer when we get to the trail.
:D

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Well off to ellensburg for the night, bonfire, beers and ......

I decided to head on over tonight, if any of you want to ride the gulch tomorrow drop me a line at 440-915-4744 otherwise will see you out there !

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
For a good time, call 440-915-4744. I prefer large hairy mountain men.
:eek: whoa!

Man, i thought you were trying to hook up for a mountain bike ride... not THAT kind of ride???:dead: :monkey:

:D (hey, it's Saturday, i got to sleep in, and it's a long weekend.... that was funny! LMAO!)

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by DHRacer
:eek: whoa!

Man, i thought you were trying to hook up for a mountain bike ride... not THAT kind of ride???:dead: :monkey:

:D (hey, it's Saturday, i got to sleep in, and it's a long weekend.... that was funny! LMAO!)
Ha ha ha, very funny :rolleyes:

Good ride today snacks and skookum and the other two!(not sure what their screen names are?) I was a bit over dressed for the type of ride it was but it was still fun. Sorry my friends were'nt being very friendly, they're still a few years younger than myself and their trail edicate reflects their maturity. I guess some of those xc guys coming up were b!tchin at them because they were just blazzing the trail, oh well such as life. I tried to tell them that the way of the samauri code is...I mean the way of the trail edicate goes "give way to the uphill guy" as it's tough for them to get going if stopped. Their comprehension was "I'm going along on a good decent and I have to give way???" Oh well, I tried to educate them but it's pretty useless... and what sucks is it gives guys like me who ride the big bikes a bad rep. I'll keep trying to beat in some sense, but...

Ride was fun, not as steep and downhillish as I thought it was going to be but it was fun just the same. BTW, if we would of stayed on FR9170 it would of cut off about an hours worth of driving :rolleyes:

Anyhow, post the pics, I'm excited to see em, thanks for showing us around and lets hook up sometime, but this time on a trail that is suited for the situation ;)

L8r guys,
~Josh

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Ride was fun, not as steep and downhillish as I thought it was going to be but it was fun just the same.
Originally posted by Skookum in the Shuttle Thread
Now you can shuttle Devils Gulch and only have to put in 50 pedal strokes maximum and let gravity do the rest for 10 miles of trail, but nobody is gonna call Devils Gulch a downhill trail per se.....
Now you know what i was talking about.... hehe

BTW, if we would of stayed on FR9170 it would of cut off about an hours worth of driving :rolleyes:

whaddya mean if we woulda went back down the forest road on the way back instead of heading down to Wenatchee? if that's what you're talkin i'm not certain you'd save that much time.....

Yah it was great meetin you and your pals, too bad the first section sucked with all those downed trees, but whaddya gonna do. We'll see ya on the trail....

why i hate my POS camera, definately time for a new one, more than half of my pix came out like this..... :angry:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Great time ridin' yesterday with you guys :) The weather was perfect for sure.

We'll need to go back up later in the season when the trees might be cleared from Mission :rolleyes: I bet you can fly down that trail when it's clear :D

Nice meeting you and your crew WArider, hope you see you guys out on the trails :)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
they should have all the downed trees cleared out in the next two or three weeks.

glad you guys had fun.