Quantcast

Devil's Gulch weekend of 7/30/05, Anyone?

JLantz

Chimp
Jul 22, 2005
I'm planning on riding Devil's Gulch for the first time on the weekend of 7/30/05. Does anyone else want to go?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
JLantz said:
I'm planning on riding Devil's Gulch for the first time on the weekend of 7/30/05. Does anyone else want to go?

Thats a tough one around here. I figure there are about 150 RM's that ride bikes up hills. The trouble is DG is 4800 feet of climbing with the whole figure eight. Out of the 150 I would estimate 50 or so are good for 1500 feet of climbing that includes their 42 pound bike and 30 pounds of gear. Another 40 or so are good for 3000 feet of climbing-again with a 42 pound bike and who knows how much gear. There are another 20 or so RM's that either dont have bikes or ride BMX's. That leaves 40 possible riders.

. Out of that 40 there are another 20 or so that can pedal their 42 pound bikes plus all their gear at least 4800 feet. However DG isnt a secret trail or anything and there are no 30 foot drops so they probably arent interested in it. That still leaves 20 riders all of whom have the ability to ride DG. Unfortunately the following day the last Indie Race takes place and that might take out five riders. You will need a day of recovery after doing the Gulch. That still leaves 15 riders that ride all-mountain type bikes and dont carry 30 pounds of armor who might want to join you. :)

Last year I raced on a Saturday and road the Gulch on a Sunday. My wife was abviously out of town, someone remined me of it earlier this year. Even if no one joins you from here there will be plent of riders on the trail. If you change the day to 8-1 I might be interested.

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
No, but there should be riders there. Also, you can ride the fire road up and take the trail down if you are lugging a 42 pound bike around. It is a great XC trail, if you can ride the figure 8 loop.

Pack mosquito repellent. I rode it in June, and they were really bad. The locals say it was due to heavy spring rains.

Later

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
July 30th? Tomorrow! Too hot, dry, and dusty for most of the 15 or so here that would be willing to ride it all. Unless you get a 6:00 a.m. start, you'll cook. Especially riding up the road. Wear SPF 100 if they make it that high.

This time of the year, it's better to stay on this side as the trails over here have dried out nicely. Then, head over there when the rains return.

Have fun!

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
I would count as 1 of those 15 riders. I ride a FR HT altough my bike is under 40 lbs. Devils Gulch is one of my favorite rides. I rode it one time in March- not a good idea. I hit snow after 4 miles on the climb but was still able to ride most of it. It ended up being a 10 hr ride.

I'm going to be in the area next weekend to ride Rat Pac and/or Taneum Cr. and will also head down to Hood River the same weekend.

I wish there were more people who liked both FR and XC. I have a choice of riding with people who don't like to pedal uphill or people who are afraid to jump their bike.