Quantcast

devinci wilson 2011

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
what do you think of the bike? anyone ridden it?

how does it ride?

suspension, pedalling, cornering?

i read that it is not very sensitive in small bumps.

do you suggest this as a first serious downhill bike? (i am interested in the xp model)

other options for me are specialized demo 8, lapierre dh720, mondraker summum, commencal supreme v3, kona operator dh)

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
what do you think of the bike? anyone ridden it?

how does it ride?

suspension, pedalling, cornering?

i read that it is not very sensitive in small bumps.

do you suggest this as a first serious downhill bike? (i am interested in the xp model)

other options for me are specialized demo 8, lapierre dh720, mondraker summum, commencal supreme v3, kona operator dh)
It is one of the good bike I ever try.
I don't know why people said this is not sensitive in small bumps. I use the ELKA stage 5. Devinci will take their effort try to make a bike balance. I think you better try a test ride on it.

K

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I jumped on DW's bike at highland and it felt really awesome, he had it set up pretty soft (I think for marketing purposes, but he said it was because of his bummed shoulder :D) either way it felt really dialed. Very sensitve to small bumps in the parking lot, I did not take it for a run down the hill just because the suspension was set up way to soft for me (165lbs) and would have just felt slow and sluggish to me esp at highland.

Overall the bike felt great and Id like to ride one thats set up for my weight to see how it really feels.

I hear they are coming out with a Carbon one....

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I jumped on DW's bike at highland and it felt really awesome, he had it set up pretty soft (I think for marketing purposes, but he said it was because of his bummed shoulder :D) either way it felt really dialed. Very sensitve to small bumps in the parking lot, I did not take it for a run down the hill just because the suspension was set up way to soft for me (165lbs) and would have just felt slow and sluggish to me esp at highland.

Overall the bike felt great and Id like to ride one thats set up for my weight to see how it really feels.

I hear they are coming out with a Carbon one....
haaaaaa

You know it's funny, now that my shoulder is getting stronger, i've been able to go up in spring rate quite a bit.(still not nearly 100% but pretty good considering I had a full reconstruction 6 months ago) I really shouldn't have been riding DH at opening but I just couldn't help myself... Just got back from a few days of Wilson suspension testing with Cane Creek at Highland actually.

I'm a big fan of the Vivid (which Steve Smith races) and Cane Creek on the bike, as well as the FOX shock which have more testing time on the Wilson than any of the other shocks as they are production. We spent a lot of time working with FOX on the production damper tunes because the bike uses such a low leverage ratio. (3.5" stroke shock). All of those shock choices are dialed. I did ride an Elka last weekend, but the tune that I rode felt overdamped on mid and high speed rebound. I have no idea what that tune was so I can't comment specifically beyond that.

Anyways, I've been very happy with the bike. I have not heard any comments about small bump sensitivity, I'm running my dampers with some LSC, so as a rider if you want more small bump compliance you can always open up the adjusters. I also feel like it really comes into it's own in the rough stuff. I am running my bike in the low/slack setting.

That's about it!

Dave

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England

don't own a DH bike, but rode the Wilson SP in horrible weather conditions in Wales, UK this Winter and it totally ruled the trails (using Specialized Storm DH tires)

to get to the trailhead from the uplift drop-off point, we had to ride about 1 mile of undulating fireroad, I was blown away by how I could stand up and hammer the pedals with no noticeable squatting or bobbing (I've owned FSR-style Devinci and Specialized in the past which suffered this trait)

whatever that D.W. guy did with his design and Devinci's input, it worked ;)

I was so impressed I sold my bike when I got home, and bought a Devinci Dixon S.P., which totally suits the mountain biking I do in my area

the Dixon is a wicked bike, low/slack geometry with the Fox 36 Float 150mm I'm running, but super playful and responsive, and I can leave the seatpost slammed down and sprint my bike without it squatting or bobbing

my previous all-mtn bikes (all FSR style) required me to run the saddle at pedalling height to avoid this squatting and bobbing

congratulations to Devinci and D.W. for a 1st class job on the Split-pivot suspension

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
DW - do you know which geometry number are correct for the Wilson? The number are different between the Devinci website and the PDF on their site. The geo from the PDF is about an inch longer compared to what is listed on the Wilson page. Which is correct?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
DW - do you know which geometry number are correct for the Wilson? The number are different between the Devinci website and the PDF on their site. The geo from the PDF is about an inch longer compared to what is listed on the Wilson page. Which is correct?
The catalog PDF is correct. You know they have an XL next year too, right?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
haaaaaa

You know it's funny, now that my shoulder is getting stronger, i've been able to go up in spring rate quite a bit.(still not nearly 100% but pretty good considering I had a full reconstruction 6 months ago) I really shouldn't have been riding DH at opening but I just couldn't help myself... Just got back from a few days of Wilson suspension testing with Cane Creek at Highland actually.

I'm a big fan of the Vivid (which Steve Smith races) and Cane Creek on the bike, as well as the FOX shock which have more testing time on the Wilson than any of the other shocks as they are production. We spent a lot of time working with FOX on the production damper tunes because the bike uses such a low leverage ratio. (3.5" stroke shock). All of those shock choices are dialed. I did ride an Elka last weekend, but the tune that I rode felt overdamped on mid and high speed rebound. I have no idea what that tune was so I can't comment specifically beyond that.

Anyways, I've been very happy with the bike. I have not heard any comments about small bump sensitivity, I'm running my dampers with some LSC, so as a rider if you want more small bump compliance you can always open up the adjusters. I also feel like it really comes into it's own in the rough stuff. I am running my bike in the low/slack setting.

That's about it!

Dave

Dave glad to hear your shoulder is doing better, I know how it feels trying to wait and let it heal... its tough!

Did you put a house up there on that lot yet?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got to ride a Wilson and a carbon V10 at Whistler this year. The guys at the Demo shop said a lot of them thought it even rode better than the V10. Neither were set up right for me, so I have no honest opinion.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
They should definitely get the website updated. I've been looking for a new DH bike as a change from my large Highline, DHR and Wilson are on my short list. The website stats for the large Wilson made it look like a smaller bike than my current which isn't what I want at 6'2".

Sounds like they're making changes for 2012, not sure I want to drop the coin on a late season 2011 now :/

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Not sure of the measurements online or the catalog but given the sit-on test and parking lot pedal the large Wilson feels/is tiny. That was with a 50mm stem and the seat all the way back in the rails. I'm 6'2".

Any official word of the XL sizing? It was mentioned somewhere else on this site but I was wondering if it was set in stone yet.

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
great on the pedalling and cornering, i have been experimenting with the shock settings by lowering the spring rate and increasing boost valve air pressure in the rc3 to make it a little more supple at the start but still ramp up and it feels pretty good

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I messaged them a couple of weeks ago asking which was correct. I just got an answer back...

Hi

The website is correct for sure.

Thanks

PRÉPOSÉ SERVICE À LA CLIENTÈLE
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I messaged them a few weeks ago asking which was correct. I just got an answer back...
Well it's a shame that whoever sent that reply gave you bad information. I have a medium Wilson and all of the measurements (verified by me) line up with the geo in the catalog PDF. They also have a lot of printed materials that line up with the PDF - including the 2012 geo chart that includes the XL.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I messaged them a couple of weeks ago asking which was correct. I just got an answer back...
I was told the same thing very soon after the Wilson's release. The guys at the shop I go to are fairly tall like myself and they were prety disappointed to find out that they went with the smaller geo than what was released for the pre-production frames.

I've posted this on here elsewhere but at 6'2" the larges that I've given the shop sit/parking lot tests have all felt really, really, small. Especially for a modern large DH race bike. I hope they sort it out because I really want one.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Well it's a shame that whoever sent that reply gave you bad information. I have a medium Wilson and all of the measurements (verified by me) line up with the geo in the catalog PDF. They also have a lot of printed materials that line up with the PDF - including the 2012 geo chart that includes the XL.
So Devinci is lying then?

Not sure of your numbers but the pre-production numbers were much larger than what they actually produced. I didn't believe it but I've been to 3 differnet shops in Vancouver and all the larges fit really small. The Devinci website is correct.

I'm sure that they will get it sorted out. Anyone I've talked to who's ridden a Wilson has loved it.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So Devinci is lying then?

Not sure of your numbers but the pre-production numbers were much larger than what they actually produced. I didn't believe it but I've been to 3 differnet shops in Vancouver and all the larges fit really small. The Devinci website is correct.

I'm sure that they will get it sorted out. Anyone I've talked to who's ridden a Wilson has loved it.
No one is lying. I just said he got bad information. I could post up pictures of my medium confirming that the website geo is incorrect but what's the point? You guys are certain that it is correct.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Not calling you out or anything I'm just not going to doubt what Devinci had to say to
6thElement after my experiences.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Where can I get the new PDF with the 2012 geo charts?

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
I seriously hope that they make the large that size this year.

Why the conflicting information on the web and in the catalog I wonder?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Did you guys read the Sicklines review of the 2011 Wilson? They tested the large and had this to say "We found that Devinci’s catalog had a more accurate geometry chart than what was printed on the website currently".

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
also the wilsons (along with demo's) fit much differently sitting than standing (as usual with downhill bikes) because the seat tube is steep and sits inline or in front of the bb where other large bikes (giant glory) have the seat tube in line with the bb and at a very slack angle making the reach really long sitting but not standing. (tr450 also feels like this). the large wilson isn't really that small as it just about fits me (6'1") with a 50mm stem but i would like to see an X-large for next year.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
My issue, is that in my opinion the Wilson fits small compared to my last 2 large Demo's 2008 & 2010. The large Demo 8 fits me perfectly and the large Wilson still feels small. My fear is that the XL (based on the geo I've seen) is going to be massive.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
As per Sicklines:

"Sizing wise, the Large Wilson felt a bit small compared to most of the other large DH bikes on the market we’ve tried out. For 2012, the Wilson will also be available in an XL option which we were glad to hear."

Wicked review though.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I'm really interested in this bike.
I'm going to be in the market for a new bike and am currently on a large Session 88. TT is 622mm. I'm 190cm (6'3").
Which one will fit me better? The large or the XL?
Maybe someone can tell me how the Wilson feels coming from a Session?