Quantcast

Devinci Wilson shock options

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I have a Roco WC ready for service after 2 years of abuse. I may as well send it to TFTuned for a PUSH Race Tuning upgrade, though the setup I have doesn't feel bad at all. I have a 350lb Progressive Ti spring that fits Rocos and DHXs, so I could still use it (710g shock+spring). My weight w/gear is 78-80kg, I'm not overly fast and the frame is a medium if that matters at all.

Wonder what other shocks / setups you monkeys tried and tested on 08/09 Wilsons. Would a CCDB work? A friend of mine had to get rid of it after running it for a season on a M6 and being constantly unable to get it working right on that frame. I guess my frame has a bit higher leverage ratio and CC updated the adjustment needle to cover more damping range in 2009, so a new CCDB would probably "work". Your valuable opinion is welcome anyway.

I also have a spare new Roco WC Air. Could it run with Push internals, offering added adjustability of air, or is it just completely different inside damping wise?

Last edited:

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Hey I run an 08' Wilson, initially with the DHX 5.0 Air and now an RC4 (Side-note, to fit an RC4 wou have to modify the X brace). Quite like both, just had a cheap line on the RC4. If paying full price, as mentioned, I'm sure Boss would be awesome on it or even try an Elka shock. They are quite a bit cheaper than pretty much everything else out there and matches if not surpasses most of them in ride.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
just finished testing an Elka for 3 weeks on my Wilson 4. i normally run a Roco WC coil. also run a CCDB on other bikes. the 2 stage rebound and damping circuit on the Elka feel better and much more controlled than my Roco. also feel like drop 25-50lbs of spring rate with the elka vs. the Roco. each click of adjustment is noticeable. you'll likely be able to get better pedalling performance (low speed circuits) and tuning range with the CCDB but it will take a lot of setup tuning to get there (PITA unless you are disciplined about it). personally, i'm going with an Elka. see: http://www.suspensionwerx.com/ James can get you an elka and make sure you tell them you are running a Wilson as they are both in quebec and there is a specific tune for the wilson.

FS: '08 Devinci Wilson 4 race bike.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-2/ad-11387/

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
As for BOS/Elka, my idea is I could get the same performance with a pushed Roco for much less, and still have access to cheap spare parts in case anything breaks. I'm not denying they are top notch brands which probably use better internal components than the mass produce, and are able to tune the shock for me. But they are also no different from Roco in principle - both being monotube shocks with dual shimmed valving.

I don't actually miss the absent LSC adjuster on the Roco, as Push will shim the LSC for me and I am a kind of set and forget guy who doesn't have enough time to tinker with everything. I also have a Ti spring which fits the Roco.

My question is mainly aimed towards the CCDB which is quite different to the rest, and also towards the air Roco which could be cool in case it works similar to a coil, and has adjustable springrate.

Again the options include:
Push Roco / DHX
Stock Roco Air WC (Wilsons came with air shocks so it could make sense)
the CCDB

Anyone with real life experience on a Wilson frame?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As for BOS/Elka, my idea is I could get the same performance with a pushed Roco for much less, and still have access to cheap spare parts in case anything breaks. I'm not denying they are top notch brands which probably use better internal components than the mass produce, and are able to tune the shock for me. But they are also no different from Roco in principle - both being monotube shocks with dual shimmed valving.

I don't actually miss the absent LSC adjuster on the Roco, as Push will shim the LSC for me and I am a kind of set and forget guy who doesn't have enough time to tinker with everything. I also have a Ti spring which fits the Roco.

My question is mainly aimed towards the CCDB which is quite different to the rest, and also towards the air Roco which could be cool in case it works similar to a coil, and has adjustable springrate.

Again the options include:
Push Roco / DHX
Stock Roco Air WC (Wilsons came with air shocks so it could make sense)
the CCDB

Anyone with real life experience on a Wilson frame?
If the only advantage of CCDB in your opinion is the twin tube design go with a romic (or vivid)...
The question is do you want a specyfic performance or are you simply after a technology that's different?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
If the only advantage of CCDB in your opinion is the twin tube design go with a romic (or vivid)...
The question is do you want a specyfic performance or are you simply after a technology that's different?
Norbar, if all that mattered was my opinion, I wouldn't ever post a thread on Ridemonkey. I'm looking for riders' input here! :thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Norbar, if all that mattered was my opinion, I wouldn't ever post a thread on Ridemonkey. I'm looking for riders' input here! :thumb:
There are extensive reviews of all the higher end shocks(rc4, elka, ccdb, bos) on rotorburn.com made by Socket so if you haven't already read it. ;)

I was simply suggesting it's not only the technology it's how it's used.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
There are extensive reviews on rotorburn.com made by Socket so if you haven't already read it. ;)
I was simply suggesting it's not only the technology it's how it's used.
Yeah Norbar I did read through them thoroughly as they kept popping up during past year and it was a hell of an interesting reading no doubt. Agree they are very informative, but what may work for someone like Fatty may not work as fine for a lighter rider like me (remember Udi's remarks), also there was no FSR bike tested and no verbal comparison to any Push-ed mass produce shock either if I remember correct.

Repeat, I'm not exclusively after the CCDB at all. I prefer to use my current spring so a Pushed Roco or an Elka would fit the bill nicely. Probably won't justify the cost of Bos / CC anyway, but wish to hear what other Wilson riders like before I pull the trigger.

Last edited: