Quantcast

Devinci Wilson?

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
Hello, i am interested in buying one of these frames, but don't know much about devinci.... so if there is somebody that has experience with Wilson, please post,,
Thanks.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hello, i am interested in buying one of these frames, but don't know much about devinci.... so if there is somebody that has experience with Wilson, please post,,
Thanks.
It's a proper DH frame with modern geometry, good for just about anyone getting into the sport and not too hard on the equipment. Remember it's quite light, so don't huck it or expect it to be a tank. Try to get the 09 or 10 models, they have roller bearings instead of bushes used in 08. I'm not familiar with 07 and older frames.
As for looks and workmanship, it's one of the nicer frames around. With a 83/150mm BB/rear axle size and a 1.5'' HT, it pretty much matches the recent DH bike standards. It's also very adjustable, you can steepen the HA from 64 to 65.5 or shorten the CS by 1/2'' for tighter tracks.
As for sizing, I'm 178cm and the medium suits me well in terms of WB, though the TT is cramped, so layback post is a must.
It has ample travel for all needs and I really like the neutral behavior of the chassis. The only issue I had with mine were dropout/rear triangle connecting bolts with cone heads that came loose every now and then, and I lost one during a ride. I suggest you treat them with loctite before 1st ride.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Great bikes, though slightly biased. Have run an 04' and 08' Wilson. The 04' was the only Wilson with a FR based geo setup (05' and after all DH geo). Was travel adjust between 8.5 and 7in of travel and could run a 24" rear without dropping the bb. The 08'-current is light years ahead of the old frame. Miuan pretty much nailed everything. It is a light frame, but is no where near as prone to denting or anything close to what's being associated with the 88. All 08' owners were given the needle bearings so you don't have to shy away from them.

The 04'

The 08' (mind the cables)

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for your replays, especially miuan.
Another thing that i want to know is , how stiff rear end is on wilson,,, ? i am running away from a very flexy frame.. :-D

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thanks for your replays, especially miuan.
Another thing that i want to know is , how stiff rear end is on wilson,,, ? i am running away from a very flexy frame.. :-D
You can definitely feel the flex when pushing the bike from the side, but I have had no bad experience while riding. I believe it's a fair amount of tradeoff for the light build, but nothing to worry about. However keep in mind that I weigh only 170lb and not overly fast or aggressive.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
What problem was there with bushings ?
The 08' suffered from a noticeable flex which was attributed to the bushings working themselves loose. Granted I looked after mine once a week, the needle bearings pretty much removed the constant attention and improved the stiffness of the frame.

Again miuan hit it on the head. You can notice some flex if you push sideways on it, but once riding its nothing noticeable and I'm heavier.

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
I had an 07 Wilson 3 - I beat it pretty good on New England courses for 2 years and for the most part it held up very well. I would definitely recommend it.

Yes the rear end is a little flexy, especially with the 07 bc the bushings would wear out. (with me the bushings went and hard wear stripped out after 1.5 seasons.) I would definitely go for a newer model. If 07 or older new bushings/hardware/bearing kits were about $130 I think. Other than that it looks sick, pedals pretty well, and is definitely a light frame great for racing. Routing the cables always pissed me off as there are no tabs anywhere on the frame but that is not that much of a big deal..

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The 08' (mind the cables)
That is a CLEAN looking bike. Nice! Killer style.

I don't know a ton about the Devincis other than they're pretty long if you run them slack, everybody that I've met who rides one absolutely loves it, and my buddy ran a 2006 for a few years and rode the gnarliest lines I have ever seen in my entire life on that frame. It only cracked after 50/50 casing a 30-out/20-down stepdown hip repeatedly and very, very hard each time.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I ride a Devinci Hectik Ltd (the Wilson's smaller "all-mountain" 6 x 6 brother) and the "flex" is something I have been asked about from time to time?

does it flex?

YES, if you push your foot against the seatstays whilst its stationary!

NO, if you are riding it aggressively, its not something you will notice...

a good friend of mine, who is a former European MX champion, also got a Hectik - he did the usual carpark "foot on frame" flex test and commented it was flexible, but after months of riding, said it was not noticeable!

there is a school-of-thought that super stiff frames / forks can actually throw you off-line if you are riding high speed on rough terrain

and another school-of-thought that frames and forks should be "super stiff", I've owned super-stiff frames and not found them any more capable, or less capable off-road

why is the Devinci Hectik / Frantik / Wilson a little more flexible than some other designs of the same class?

probably because they run a full length seat tube, with a FSR-style suspension system = longer seatstays = slightly more "flex" than an FSR-style design with rockers or an interupted seatube to reduce stay length

I've never noticed any "flex" whilst riding it hard, aggressively, even on DH runs

the full length seatpost has completely outweighed any "slight" flex in the stays, its a good weight, well balanced and seems stiff in the front triangle (no vagueness in the steering)

of course on the Wilson, being able to put the seat up and down is not important like it is on an all-mountain bike, but the use of a full length seatpost means a strong front triangle with sensible weight which is a legitimate trade-off, compared to interrupted seatube designs which are usually heavier due to plates, bent tubes and gussetts

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've got an 09 wilson. One thing I read about it before I bought it was that it's flexy. And they're right, notidably more flex in the back end when moving the wheel than on other beefier frames. Doesn't really bother me when I ride, not that I'd really know how that "feels" on the trail. It nags at my mind though, but I try to tell myself that flex is good, it's like 2-wheel steering - seriously! :D

It's a light frame, not THE lightest, about 1lb heavier than a session88/socom IIRC. Feels a lot plusher through the travel than the DHi that I replaced it with, but obviously doesn't pedal as well - I LOVED that DHi.

I'm not the quickest guy in the world, but I do ok, typically finish in the top 10% across all categories at the races I go to, and I don't feel it's the bike that's holding me back.

Here's my build thread from last year:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216689

(I got bored in November and took all the paint off of it though..... ;) )

Last edited:

oli h

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
I got bored in November and took all the paint off of it though..... ;) )
I saw a raw Wilson at Round 1 at Bringewood and thought to myself 'I wonder if thats that really smart white one from Ride Monkey' I guess it was then!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
HighMinion,
How'd you get the raw frame? Was it offered as a "finish" that year? Or, do it yourself? Actually, looks like their brushed finish in your photo...
I like the look. Nice build!
Being lazy...could poke around and find out myself.... What's the frame wt. of the 2010s?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I saw a raw Wilson at Round 1 at Bringewood and thought to myself 'I wonder if thats that really smart white one from Ride Monkey' I guess it was then!
Yep, doesn't look so smart now does it! Ha! :)